• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

From ZAI - ORIGIN LONG ACTION

Zermatt Arms

Machining Accuracy
Minuteman
Jul 24, 2017
Bennet, NE
www.bighornarms.com
** AVAILABLE NOW**

By popular demand, our ORIGIN action is now available in LONG ACTION!

This action will have the same feature set that the current ORIGIN actions have like controlled round feed, mechanical ejector, floating and interchangeable bolt head, bayonet style (tool less disassembly) firing pin, swept bolt handle, pinned and screwed 20 MOA rail, nitride finish, non-integrated, pinned recoil lug and Savage small shank barrel threads.

The magazine cut is done to accept STANDARD length BDL (hinged floor plate) bottom metals as well as AICS magazines. Wyatt's extended boxes will NOT be an option on the ORIGIN but it will accept CIP length detachable box magazines.

MAX COAL ON THE ORIGIN LONG ACTION IS 3.770"

We have a limited number of RIGHT HANDED actions available for purchase today with more in various stages of production now.

LEFT HAND LONG ACTION LONG ACTIONS WILL BE AVAILABLE WITHIN 10 WEEKS

These are available for purchase on our website under the original ORIGIN action page for $925 with a $100 deposit being paid immediately and the balance being paid prior to shipment.

Last edited:
Boom ? Love my Origin! Are you going to be going to one size recoil lug so barrels between the TL3/Origin are interchangeable? Or you leaving that for the aftermarket

Reactions: Wags
Boom ? Love my Origin! Are you going to be going to one size recoil lug so barrels between the TL3/Origin are interchangeable? Or you leaving that for the aftermarket
TL3/SR3 Long action tenon's are the same length as Origin action tenons. The only different tenon is the TL3/SR3 SHORT action

TL3/SR3 Long action tenon's are the same length as Origin action tenons. The only different tenon is the TL3/SR3 SHORT action

Does this mean you could put a short action Origin barrel on a long action Origin and it would headspace the same? Or put a long action TL3/SR3 barrel on a short action Origin? (Ignoring mag length/COAL issues)

Does this mean you could put a short action Origin barrel on a long action Origin and it would headspace the same? Or put a long action TL3/SR3 barrel on a short action Origin? (Ignoring mag length/COAL issues)

I think what he's saying is that you can use the TL3/SR3 long action prefits on an Origin LA.

Short Action Origin tenons are same as Long action TL3/SR3.

long action Origin to have same tenon as SA Origin AND long action TL3/SR3

long action barrels will fit TL3/SR3/Origin all the same

Origin barrels you have now will work on new long action (useful for SAUM/WSM potentially)

Reactions: MarinePMI and Wags
Origin barrels you have now will work on new long action (useful for SAUM/WSM potentially)

Yeah, was thinking about those overlap cartriges like SAUM or 284 Win or maybe 6.5x55. Long throated barrel, jump the bullets and run short action mag length, or seat them out longer and run in a long action. Or maybe single feed a short action, depending on application.

More curiosity than anything.

I would've built my PRC as a 280AI had this come out a year ago! Rifle is together and shooting, too late to change now. But, happy to see you guys expanding the origin line. I have two and they have both been great.

Reactions: Wags
I'll be ordering a Lefty LA this week. THANK YOU! For making this happen. I'm going to put a lot of meat on the table with that action.

Reactions: DDoug
This might be a dumb question, but is this long action considered a magnum length? I think so, but want to confirm. I'm considering a .300 PRC build and I believe that cartridge needs a magnum length action. Or am I missing something???

This might be a dumb question, but is this long action considered a magnum length? I think so, but want to confirm. I'm considering a .300 PRC build and I believe that cartridge needs a magnum length action. Or am I missing something???

3.700'' is SAAMI COAL on the 300PRC. This action accepts 3.770'' max COAL as stated in the OP. You will need a magnum bolt face, I think you're confusing bolt face and action length.

Reactions: Cjl2010
3.700'' is SAAMI COAL on the 300PRC. This action accepts 3.770'' max COAL as stated in the OP. You will need a magnum bolt face, I think you're confusing bolt face and action length.

I'm a total noob with long action (std) and long action (magnum) intricacies. lol!

Yes, I am aware that I will need a magnum bolt face. I'm not confused on that part. I guess where I am getting hung up is the length of long action AICS mags this action will accept.

MPA says their BA chassis will work with any AICS magazines (except mag), so I assume this means magnum actions? That will be my chassis of choice, so this may not all work together...

Putting this all together, I assume I can run the Origin Long action with a .300 PRC cartridge using a magnum length AICS mags in some other chassis/stock than a MPA BA. Is that correct?

Last edited:
I'm a total noob with long action (std) and long action (magnum) intricacies. lol!

Yes, I am aware that I will need a magnum bolt face. I'm not confused on that part. I guess where I am getting hung up is the length of long action AICS mags this action will accept. From looking at Magpul's website for long action AICS magazines, the max COAL listed on the magnum length long action mag (for .300 WM) is stated as 3.50". What is weird is their standard length long action magazine also shows a max COAL of 3.50" and is stated for .30-06 cartridges.

The SAAMI spec for the .300 PRC shows min COAL of 3.575" and max COAL of 3.700". Apparently I would have to use something other than Magpul long action mag.

MPA says their BA chassis will not work with AICS mag magazines, so I assume this means magnum length actions. That will be my chassis of choice, so this may not all work together...

Putting this all together, I assume I can run the Origin Long action with a .300 PRC cartridge using a magnum length AICS mag (non-Magpul) in some other chassis/stock than a MPA BA. Is that correct?
You're on the right path with this, but we'd like to give this little bit of input: broaden your magazine horizon.

Magpul mags are great in certain platforms and will work with our actions. BUT, if you have problems with them not fitting or feeding, they're harder to work with than metal box magazines. Plastic mags don't bend, stamped metal magazines do.

If you look at magazines from Accuracy International, Accurate Mag, MDT, etc., you'll find that they have standard length 300 Win Mag magazines as well as CIP length magazines. For the 300 PRC, you're going to want to run CIP length magazines and load within the limits of that magazine or the action you put it in. 3.770" is our max OAL and Accurate Mag advertises max OAL of CIP length mags as 3.750". (here's that information https://accurate-mag.com/shop/magazines/300-win-mag-sssf-magazine/ )

When you hear the term "magnum action," it should be referring to a completely different animal than Rem 700 footprint long action. Think more on the lines of the 375 CheyTac.

If you're still confused, please let us know and we'll try to talk it through with you.

You're on the right path with this, but we'd like to give this little bit of input: broaden your magazine horizon.

Magpul mags are great in certain platforms and will work with our actions. BUT, if you have problems with them not fitting or feeding, they're harder to work with than metal box magazines. Plastic mags don't bend, stamped metal magazines do.

If you look at magazines from Accuracy International, Accurate Mag, MDT, etc., you'll find that they have standard length 300 Win Mag magazines as well as CIP length magazines. For the 300 PRC, you're going to want to run CIP length magazines and load within the limits of that magazine or the action you put it in. 3.770" is our max OAL and Accurate Mag advertises max OAL of CIP length mags as 3.750". (here's that information https://accurate-mag.com/shop/magazines/300-win-mag-sssf-magazine/ )

When you hear the term "magnum action," it should be referring to a completely different animal than Rem 700 footprint long action. Think more on the lines of the 375 CheyTac.

If you're still confused, please let us know and we'll try to talk it through with you.

Awesome! Thanks for the clarity! Maybe it's a bit too early for me...

Just about saved all my pennys for a new scope and now this comes up. Go figure. Definitely looking to do a hunter build with this in a krg bravo.

Thinking long throat 260ai and 300wm switch barrel.

Great to see companies listening to customers.

Reactions: MarinePMI and Wags
I have to say, I'm so very happy that I sold my TL3 short action and didn't buy any other long action. Thank you to everyone that hinted to me that an Origin Long Action was coming out. I saw Bighorn Arms' post on Facebook about 3 minutes after it posting and called to order.

Thanks again!