• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Front canvas layer on a ghillie

InfantryM24

Private
Minuteman
Aug 30, 2008
Dallas, TX
Working on the front canvas layer on my blouse and was wanting some opinions on maintaining the opening in the blouse or creating a pull over style top. What is a good fastening system for maintaining the opening if that is the route I decide on? Are there any advantages to having a pull over style top? Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Front canvas layer on a ghillie

i came to the same fork you did once. What i tried to do and it didnt turn out to well because im not all that creative is this. Remove the buttons on the front of the blouse and have it sewn or sew it shut yourself, then cut up the sides to the armpits and attach some kind of buckle closure up bothsides. Essentially you have a over the head ghillie top and you can leave some open areas in it to get some airflow through the top. Again im not very creative so take it for what its worth, i never tried real hard to get it to work but i can be done

i think a one peice canvas skid on the front is ideal, but its a little tougher to get into.

i have one with buttons cut off, jacket sewn together up the middle. one peice canvas skid across entire front. zippers on the sides from bottom to arm pits.

what i like better is a zipper sewn up the middle, with the flap still being able to be closed with buttons, shielding the zipper from dirt and gunk. just like an ACU uniform.

I am going to implement adjustment straps on either side and didn't know if I wanted to utilize a flap style front or standard zip up. What about using an IBA style closure? About a 4 inch overlap in the front, both being attached independently...bottom with velcro and top layer with buttons or something heavier? Let me know what you think. If I extend the zipper through the armpit and under the arms about 4 inches, do you think it might be a little more user friendly? Thanks for the input! excited to see it finished. I will post some pics of progress so far.

An oversized flight suit or coveralls might serve your purpose:
rtcx-1053708-1.jpg

Go with the standard BDU top type design.

Consider using 1000D Cordura as opposed to Canvas.

Stay away from a split front design.

Sew a full skid plate on the front.

Split up one, or both sides to the arm pit and sew zippers in.

Small velcro strip or fastex to secure along the bottom edge when its zipped down(Closed)

Did this on both my Ghillies, and ones Ive done for others and Love it.

Cut the canvas to fit the front of the blouse.

Glue it down. Cut down the front so it covers the botton holes on that side.

Stitch the shit out of it

P1010065.jpg