• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

F T/R Competition Front rest f/tr class

mattt

Private
Minuteman
Aug 18, 2010
northern California
Is a front bag instead of a bipod allowed in f/tr. I have seen shooters use them in the last couple matches and thought you had to use a bipod in f/tr?

Re: Front rest f/tr class

Rules state:

F-Class Target (F-T/R) - A rifle restricted to the chambers of unmodified .308 Winchester/7.62mm NATO or
unmodified .223 Remington/5/56mm x 45 NATO cartridge cases. The rifle must be fired off a bipod, rigidly
attached to the rifle’s forend, and/or a sling. Any bipod, meeting the definition of a bipod, may be used but its
weight must be included in the rifle’s overall weight.

Rules here

BTW, you should complete your profile.

Most of the guys you see using the rest are in F class. I'm no expert though. For simplicity they shoot the stages along side F/TR.

No I mean front bag like a bull bag. Not f/open rest . Wouldnt bother me as these are just club matches but they are not beginers and have placed in the money. Almost like saying hey I can shoot my 6br in f/tr since it is just a club match. When I started shooting f/tr last year I had to use a bag a few times but ended up buying the correct bipod as I shot more matches.

although they are laying beside you, are you positive they are shooting f-tr? the only time i shot one of those matches, there were several classes on the line at the same time.

Bunch of tactical guys who don't want to play by our rules?
whistle.gif

grin.gif

I have been to matches where the match coordinator allowed guys to shoot off bags F/TR. However they were not allowed to place or collect money. From time to time I will shoot a F-class F/TR match with a can and I simply ask the coordinator that I do not care about placing just want to get some trigger time. That is when I get a ton of looks, and I simply tell the other shooters not to worry I am not placing just having fun. But like everyone said already F/TR not allowed front bags or front rests.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mattt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wouldnt bother me as these are just club matches but they are not beginers and have placed in the money.</div></div>

Are you SURE they were shooting in F Class?

In December we had a class for vintage rifles - irons and scoped, and they can shoot off bags or packs.

And yes I did finish in the money shooting a scoped Swiss K31 using Swiss military issue ammo
smile.gif

In Jan at the 1000 yard Any/any match there were guys shooting vintage rifles who were awarded money also.

mattt,

Are you sure they were NRA sanctioned events? Local clubs can certainly make up whatever classes they want for local events... for our club matches (which are NRA Approved) we usually have an 'Other' class so the people with muzzle brakes, or other gear that is not exactly NRA rules compliant can still shoot. Usually we never have more than one or two such shooters at a time, but I tell 'em that as far as I'm concerned the same guide lines apply as for any other equipment class/category - if there are 5 or more shooters in a given class, then we can start awarding $$$ for class awards - fewer than 5 and its kind of pointless to be 1st of 2, if you know what I mean
wink.gif

Just throwing out some possible scenarios for what you saw.

mattt - along the same lines, I was told at a local NRA-sanctioned midrange match that I could use a rear monopod if I really wanted to as the object was to have fun. I did not use it, as F-T/R rules are quite clear on that point, and I wanted to play by the rules. For me, if I did well but didn't follow the rules, my performance would be meaningless. In any event, I think matches at the local level sometimes allow things that are not strictly by the book, which may be what you saw.

Sounds like some weak-minded match directors. If you don't meet the F-TR requirements, then you are in F-Open. Otherwise, call the match by another name.....like "dowhateveruwanna" :)

Not a big deal for match directors to try and accommodate shooters at club matches as long as someone doesn't get carried away. Politely inform the shooter that his/her equipment stretches the rules, shoot your best and beat em. I don't believe their scores should be sent in for classifications...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Al_Ski</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> ...their scores should <span style="font-weight: bold">not</span> be sent in for classifications... </div></div>

fix.t