• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns front sight color

JMC

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 24, 2007
Wisconsin
I'm planning on painting the front sight on one of my pistols. It has the tritium insert in the front (Green vial) but no white outline. I plan on painting around the tritium, just painting the blade itself.

For those that have doen this or run a fiber-optic sight what colors do you use and what seems to show up the best in all conditions including night.

Thanks
JMC

Re: front sight color

I really like the red fiber front with green rear for all lighting conditions on a blued or parkerized gun. I have green trit on my sig. I can't see the dots in a lot of daytime conditions but i am not shooting comp with it and it hits a 4" wide plate at 25' just fine.

I don't know if it would matter with a fiber sight but my beretta had a painted red front dot with stainless slide and it was useless unless sun was shining directly on the rear of the sight blade.

Right now I painted the blade white (I've got a tritium front dot for night/ low light) but I'm leaning toward a red/orange. Seems like that will draw attention to it just a little quicker.

Thanks

I've got a red fiber optics front sight, and as long as the sun is on it, it's great. If your indoors or in a low light situation not so good. I've tried red and green. Like red better. I've also painted a standard front sight white, and it works well. Just need to touch up the paint every now and then.

I have the Trijicon HD Night Sight with the yellow front sight. I really like the bright yellow. It is very bright during the day and the glow in the dark works well in lowlight and accents the tritium well. I would try to paint it a glow in the dark yellow if you can find it.

I've done this on a couple guns for hunting, and red stands out better against a background as there really isn't alot of red out in nature and it draws your eye more than white. White would make the dot of the vial stand out more if you're used to lining up 3 dots as opposed to lining up the top of the blades.

I've used the wife's nail polish and it held up just fine and works well.

I recently used a Bersa, nickle slide with orange sights, and it was hands down the best sight I've used.

I got the Trijicon HD in orange as it closer to the red of my red dot optics. The yellow is brighter, but I just didn't want such a difference from the red dots; ie less info to process when time is short.

The orange is quick to pick up. The serrated rear sights black out in daylight, which i prefer. The orange is some kind of glow-in-the-dark paint that glows for about five minutes, presuming you've 'charged' the paint in bright light for a few minutes. Not sure how practical this is, but, it does glow pretty brightly when it is charged. At any rate, the tritium works fine for me in lower light environments.

Looks like this:

TrijiconHD-11.jpg

I painted my front sight yellow with a paint marker. It shows up really well in just about any condition, it even shows up pretty well at night as long as there is some ambient light for it to pick up.

Jeremy45

I've got the night sights in it anyway so ambient light isn't too much a concern. I'm leaning a little more towards a florescent orange or maybe a bright yellow/green kind of like the newer trend in fire-trucks. Just looking for something that really draws attention to the front sight.

JMC

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: D.Draig</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I got the Trijicon HD in orange as it closer to the red of my red dot optics. The yellow is brighter, but I just didn't want such a difference from the red dots; ie less info to process when time is short.

The orange is quick to pick up. The serrated rear sights black out in daylight, which i prefer. The orange is some kind of glow-in-the-dark paint that glows for about five minutes, presuming you've 'charged' the paint in bright light for a few minutes. Not sure how practical this is, but, it does glow pretty brightly when it is charged. At any rate, the tritium works fine for me in lower light environments.

Looks like this:

TrijiconHD-11.jpg
</div></div>

This is really close to what I want to do.
JMC

Flourescent green is the most visible color to the human eye. Your eye will naturally go to that color first.

That is why all the road crews now wear that color.

If you want red or orange on the front, DO NOT put the green on the rear. You will automatically focus on the rear which will slow you down.