• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Front Sight for AICS Rem 700??

punkpigpen

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2011
PA, USA
Hey, so i wanted to get a back up sight, front and rear for my Remmy AICS. I did find some that fold down and work but they require a small diameter rail mount. picatinny of course. Can anyone give me a link or hints to where to find this rail clamp for the front of the barrel? Thanks in advance!

Re: Front Sight for AICS Rem 700??

If you really feel the need to have a secondary sight on your rifle, why not just get a red dot mounted off of your scope? Makes a lot more sense to me and is a lot easier than trying to match up sight heights front and rear that aren't on the same plane, not to mention what it's potentially going to do to your barrel harmonics. You're not talking about a Palma sight here, you're looking to run a rail and a unbalanced flip up clamp on iron sight.

How long is your barrel anyhow and what profile is it?

However, if you really must go with the irons, just go see a good gunsmith and have a front sight installed properly. Clamping something like that onto the end of your barrel makes no sense at all. It won't hold without some serious torque, and that torque can throw variables into your bore that are undesirable. At a minimum whatever you install is going to have to be pinned to handle the whip and recoil.

Look here for how it's done right: http://www.undergroundsw.com/page3.php

Re: Front Sight for AICS Rem 700??

hey thanks for taking the time to write that info for me its greatly appreciated. i'll probably skip it or maybe look into my local smith to do it right if i feel the need. ps. my barrel is 20" and running a 2" brake.