• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Front sight help please!

Mall Ninja308556

Private
Minuteman
Oct 18, 2011
I want to run 1 o'clock BUIS for close up surprises. I picked up a Weaver "offset rail adapter" to try out some different ideas with the back up plan that I could run a small red dot if the irons didnt work out.

The issue is my Remmy R-25 (DPMS LR-308) has a flat top gas block that is much lower than the top rail.

Question 1: Can I simply get another Weaver like the one I have for the front gas block and get a taller BUIS (I see that there are taller ones offered for low pro gas blocks)? Im thinking that using the Weaver first, on the low gas block, then the taller flip up front will cause a mis-alignment with the rear, no?

Question 2: Does anyone know of a flat top gas block thats tall enough to be same height as the upper that will fit this odd ball barrel? If so I can run front BUIS that are designed for quad rail mount and be done with it.

Folded:

1f52e213.jpg

Up:

08a7d553.jpg

Re: Front sight help please!

You could rotate your scope 90 degrees CCW, & then put a ring mount for your red dot on you main scope's tube. From the pictures, such a setup might let you position the red dot optic more or less in line with where your windage knob currently is.

Some guys, & some armies for that matter, put the backup sighting system at 10 o'clock. Which I'm guessing also helps keep down the number & severity of malfs given how one would rotate the weapon [if at all] to use a red dot with the dominant eye. And, likely with a bit of training, you could get used to using your non-dominant eye in conjunction with the backup red dot to handle close encounters of the unexpected kind.

Or you could just pull your irons, & mount a red dot along the sight line where the irons currently are. Plus if you really want backup in depth, as in 3 sighting systems, do the 1st suggested action with a red dot, & then mount flip up irons on the rifles scope rail.

Out of curiosity, when you rotate the rifle 45 degrees left in order to use the BUIS, do you get much in the way of brass jamming, given how such a manuver positions the ejection port.

Mall Ninja, You are the second person I have ever come across that wanted to do this. The first guy machined his own mount and mounted it on a VTAC handgaurd. Though he had difficulty and so did I, acquiring proper sight picture. It just isn't natural to turn 45 degrees and line up a rear and front sight.

Most people who want this close up 45* option are using a small HUD (heads up display) like a RMR or Dr Optic. This allows for a fast transition for close engagements.

I'm right with CB on this the HUD sights are the way to roll if you want an off angle sight.

Now if this is something you want to do just to prove you can, I'd leave it away from the gas block and put it on the free float tube.

If you were successful in doing so it would be awful slow to employ for "close up surprises". You would have to shift BOTH hands out of shooting position to pop the sights up and then get back on the gun to take the shot. Probably not real fast.

Cheers,

Doc

Well my first plan was to use a small red dot:

dc9389d0.jpg

4d70fc06.jpg

Problem is you pay WAAY MORE for "less" and the good ones cost BANK. I thought about using just a cheapo but even the cheap ones wtill share the same draw back of the over priced high end ones, they have BATTERIES! I then decided the competition rifle style 1 o'clock irons would be the best idea. Using flip ups will make transporting easier and I planned to "deploy" them whenever the rifle was "in action", not waiting to flip them up until a pissed off boar was trying to "kill me back".

I have seen the sure fire setup but its very big and bulky and cant be flipped down. I was hoping to run something like Mag Pull BUIS on 2 Weaver's like the one in the pics. Problem is the gas block height. If you put the "rise" on FIRST before the 45 degree mount the sights will line up properly. But if you dont put a rise on and use a taller (gas block front sight)then they wont line up correctly.

I thought about just drilling the hand guard and mounting a couple (one towards the front, one towards the rear) Picatinny 1" rails but the hand guard is threaded on so there is no guarantee they will be in the correct location after taking it off and re torquing it. But that also applies to the front sling swivel too, that my bi pod is mounted too as well.

Of coarse the easy way out would be to get a quad rail setup on the front but I was hoping for a better cheaper solution like a gas block with the correct height (level with the upper).

I regularly shoot right handed right eye but I can easily shoot left handed left eye so I never thought about mounting the red dot on the left and using my left eye, I was intending on canting the rifle which does in fact work very well and is super fast. Plus no worry of parallax with the red dot so cheek weld doesnt matter.

Im going to pull the rifle out right now and try the red dot on the left and using my left eye.

BUT like I said red dots us batteries and if you walk around with the rifle in the "ready" thats going to cost a lot of money in batteries in the long run! =) So having 45 degree (1 o'clock) irons would still be my first pick...

Doesnt work. left side mount (with the 1 o/clock) makes it a very awkward cant that causes the lower "point" of the butt stock to dig into your chest makeing a painfull pressure point.

Left side gives a much larger view as there is no turret in the way, but the only way I see this working well is to have the red dot mounted 90 degrees off the left of the scope like it was a left side turret. That would work but it raises another issue. How will having the red dot "on" when using the scope and using your left eye to acquire targets effect each other?

why do you have to use your left eye? With the red dot you don't have to line anything up once you zeroed in so move you head off the stock a little and use your right. That moves you out of firing position for your scope but not so much as to screw up a close range shot that you are using the red dot for. What is your goal with this set up? Hunting?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: medic2410p</div><div class="ubbcode-body">why do you have to use your left eye? With the red dot you don't have to line anything up once you zeroed in so move you head off the stock a little and use your right. That moves you out of firing position for your scope but not so much as to screw up a close range shot that you are using the red dot for. What is your goal with this set up? Hunting? </div></div>

I dont think you read through everything as we already were talking about how the right side 1 o'clock works fine with a red dot, but I want to get irons on the rig not a red dot (batteries run out, irons dont).

The windage turret does block a lot of the view so moving the red dot to the left side does give an un-obstructed view but requires a very awkward cant that leaves a pressure point.

I have found a front gas block that has a rail level with the upper but not only is it ugly its super heavy and adding the Weaver 1 0'clock on top of that and hanging that far off the front of the rifle is no good. I think at this point im going to mount a couple pica tinny rails to the hand guard and be done with it.