• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Front Sight, NV

The_end

Private
Minuteman
Oct 13, 2006
PHX, AZ
I'm not having much luck with the search engine. It almost seems to generate random pages of unrelated posts.

Are there any reviews on this site about the Front Sight training facility in NV outside Vegas? I'm getting ready for an Afghanistan deployment in May with my USMC reserve unit and was considering their practical rifle or precision rifle courses. Mainly because my parents are lifetime members and have free passes
smile.gif
But if it's a waste of a week off of work and trip to NV, I'll pass.

Can anyone who's taken a course there provide feedback? Thank you in advance.

Re: Front Sight, NV

I have taken both courses a few times each, I am not military, but I still think it will help to improve your skills. Many times I have been in the practical rifle, advanced practical rifle or precision rifle course with active duty marines and they all seemed to get a lot from the course and improve thier skills.

If the courses are free anyhow, go! The worst thing that happens is you get more trigger time in a week than you've probably had the whole time you've been in the military (course YOU have to pay for the ammo this time!). I'd do the course to at least knock the rust off. A'stan is getting pretty hairy lately and I don't think it's gonna get much better in the near future.

They are solid courses taught by some great instructors but as
for the the founder he is a whack job.

Thanks for the input. Coloshooter, which did you enjoy more? The practical rifle or precision rifle?

The advanced practical rifle I probably enjoy the most, the practical rifle teaches and reinforces the fundamentals of marksmanship and weapons handling, advanced practical rifle brings that to the next level, if you can do both I would recommend it especially since you are getting ready to head overseas.

Precision rifle is mostly about long distance shooting, not a ton of tactics taught there, always fun to shoot to 1000 plus yars, but not a real gun fighting course.

I have taken them all 3-4 times so if you have specific questions let me know.

I'm going to try the practical rifle out and probably end up getting a membership. I've never read anything bad about FS other than what you said about the founder lol. Thanks for the feedback.

I have never been but I have customers who have memberships. All they have bad to say is sometimes you get instructors who are there to tell you how cool and what good shots they are and the other instructors laugh at them behind their back. It sounds like its the luck of the draw you may get a great instructor you may get a dick.

If you are about to get deployed, I would go with one of the following.

Thunder Ranch
Rifles Only
Gunsite

I have heard some good, mostly bad about FS. They had a guy die there due to stupidity, on a zipline, and the founder is so deep in legalities that he almost lost his entire operation about a year or so ago.
He has been sued by countless people for fraud, etc.
As to the training, you could find better, by better people.
If it is your life on the line and your looking to insure it with quality training, go to where the people care more about you than upselling you to get more money out of you.
Good luck!

To take the Precision Rifle class you need to pass, with distinguised graduate status from the practical rifle class. Passing with the Distinguished Graduate status is not an easy task to do. I have taken the practical rifle class 3 times and the skill builder once, will do the skill builder class (2) day this week end. Out of the 300 of so fellow students that were in the classes I have taken only 1 havs attained the Distinguished Graduate status.

I would save your money for a better class. One where you don't pay to attend a class from an unknown instructor, in a high student to instructor ratio class, at a facility which has been up to their elbows in fraud lawsuits, and tries to sell you on scientology while you're out there.

Mike Pannone will be out your way soon.

Here is his bio:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mike Pannone is a former operational member of U.S. Marine Force Reconnaissance, U.S. Army Special Forces, and specially selected elements of the Joint Special Operations Command. He has participated in stabilization, combat, and high risk protection operations in support of U.S. policies throughout the word as both an active duty military member, and a civilian contractor. During his military career, Mr. Pannone was the Distinguished Honor Graduate of a Level 1 SOTIC held at Ft Bragg. He currently instructs U.S. military, law enforcement (LE), and private citizens around the country as an adjunct instructor with several different organizations.</div></div>
http://stores.greygrouptraining.com/-strse-3591/MP-2-dsh-Day-Advanced-Carbine/Detail.bok

That class is in early February out in AZ. If you have any questions about the class, shoot me a PM and I'll help you get more details.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jim D</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><snip>and tries to sell you on scientology while you're out there.
</div></div>

If you had ever been there you'd know what you just said is bullshit. There is no push to Scientology for general attendees.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JasonS</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jim D</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><snip>and tries to sell you on scientology while you're out there.
</div></div>

If you had ever been there you'd know what you just said is bullshit. There is no push to Scientology for general attendees. </div></div>
There is an undeniable connection between Front Sight, and Scientology. A simple google search for those two terms in combination gives you 16,600 hits.

They are famous for making their students sit through their marketing spiel, but if you're saying that the Scientology connection isn't brought up, then I'll have to take your word for it.

The fact remains that the NRA dumped their ads after they used the death of an LEO for publicity, amongst all of their other famous antics.
http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=46290
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=266771

Why anyone would consider going their when there are so many other quality options available, I will never understand.