• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Re: Front sight

Didn't Mark Wahlberg go there?
wink.gif

I'm a Diamond Alaska Member and I have enjoyed taking classes from them. I have done Handgun and Practical Rifle and am getting ready to take my wife and 4 teenagers down for the 4 Day Handgun class.

It is well worth the money and the time to travel to Pahrump. The thing I liked was they spend time with everyone. So the newbie in the class, while they do get more attention, doesn't eliminate the personal training I was expecting.

The only negative that I see with the school is their new policy regarding having to DG (Distinguished Graduate) the basic course in order to take the advanced classes. This is a new policy and I believe is a way to weed out non-committed members who bought memberships on the cheap. Prior to this year, you only had to "graduate" but, I guess they had a ton of people that squeaked by and didn't really know what they were doing show up for advanced classes.

However, when I take an advanced class I personally don't want some newbie holding the pace of the class back so, I'm not going to bitch too much.

The other caveat to this is you have to pass the Practical Rifle class with a DG to take the precision rifle courses. This is a real bitch. I personally missed the DG by 3 points on a stupid type 3 malfunction and now I have to take the class again in order to take the precision stuff. Since I don't see the correlation between Practical Rifle and Precision Rifle, I will probably just go to Rifles Only if I decide to take a precision class. However, I do want to take the integrated firearms classes so inevitably I will retake the Practical Rifle class at some point.

The instructors are very professional and I have only heard one instructor raise his voice and I was surprised he took so long to raise it. It was a Practical rifle class and some dimrod was acting stupid on the firing line with live rifles. Nuff said.

I would say if you can get a free certificate or buy one the dirt cheap Diamond memberships, it is well worth the money.

Oh and Mark Wahlberg did train there.

what I hear is that if you sleep at a Holiday Inn Express you will have the same knowledge......

'Diamond Alaska' Memberships and 'Distinguished Graduate' status? Really?!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">'Diamond Alaska' Memberships and 'Distinguished Graduate' status? Really?!! </div></div>

The Diamond Alaska Membership is really a membership with an enhancement. The Diamond Membership allows me to take any class they currently offer or will offer in the future, as many times as I like at no charge other than the $50 background check each year. Currently, they offer beginning and advanced classes in handgun, shotgun, rifle, precision rifle, empty hand defense, bladed defense, ropes & repelling, full auto rifle and uzi. Furthermore, there is integrated weapons classes too. In the future there is talk of defensive driving being added.

The Alaska enhancement allows me to take these classes at their location on the Kenai Peninsula in Alaska, when they open during the summer months, when they are closed down in Pahrump. Plus, I have heard it grants me access to their land to hunt during the winter but, I am not 100% on this.

The levels of graduate are to help with motivation. To be a graduate, you only need to capture 60% of the available points. However, to be a Distinguished Graduate you need to capture 90%. As I understand it, only 5% of shooters hit the DG in Handgun and only 1% can shoot DG in practical rifle and shotgun. To put this in perspective, I dropped zero points on the shooting test but dropped points on the malfunction drills by missing the time and flubbing one run of clearing a type 3 malfunction. I was bummed, to say the least.

They obviously mix up a mean batch of cool-aid.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Xcount</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They obviously mix up a mean batch of cool-aid. </div></div>

I don't know what is "Kool-Aid" about their operation. Unless you think buying memberships or having levels of success in skill of arms, is "Kool-Aid"?

Their goal is to change the perception of gun ownership in America and, I think they are doing a pretty good job. My experience has been very positive.

However, they do spam you with "last chance offers" on a daily basis. However, you can cancel your email subscription.
grin.gif

I taught there for a time, until I couldn't afford to anymore (they don't pay squat). They do a good job of putting out a consistent product, though it is limited in scope. As long as you understand that they are a pure Modern Technique school, and that is their product, you're good. In other words, you wouldn't go to school that teaches Spanish and get upset because they won't teach you any French words. Don't get upset because FS sticks to their philosophy. I don't disagree totally with their philosophy, I just know it has its limitations and have grown beyond them.

Go and have fun.

I've gone for the 4-day Handgun course and it was a good class. I'm also a lifetime member. I wish they would offer the precision course to everyone. They'd have tons of people in Las Vegas alone that would attend. I know I could use it. When I have the time I plan on going to the Practical rifle and Rapelling course.