• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Front Support: Accuracy vs Portability?

Phil3

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2008
San Ramon, CA
I seem to be something between a BenchRest shooter and tactical person, interested in top accuracy but also not wanting to shoot a rifle that is all but locked down and can shoot "free recoil". I shoot at my local 100 yard range and am unsure of the impact of choices vs accuracy. I have a Protektor rear bag and even that is a bit heavy and bulky to lug to the range, so am wary of a front rest. I could use a bipod for the front, but am unsure of how that can negatively affect accuracy. Or a sand bag. Or anything else. What kind of mostly portable setup (both ends of gun) would give very good accuracy? I could see everything from a bipod and balled up hand on stock to a lightweight mechanical rest and sandbag on the rear, or...?

Phil

Bipod is another system. Simplest is a Harris. I use them with a 'pod lock'. A light portable bag with a hook to hang it on anything handy, belt.... is something you can evolve to.
I use a store bought v shaped bean bag with a hook already there. It is sometimes a bag, sometimes a squeeze type thing, Raises my wrist...
Get to it and you will find a system.
More fun not dragging a rest and sand around.

I'm neither a seasoned Benchrest or Tactical/LR shooter. But it seems to me that the way the Benchrest guys do it is to allow the rifle to recoil in the bags, (front rest and rear bag). They don't touch the rifle except for the trigger which is set to something like 2 ounces. The Tactical/LR shooter can approach the accuracy of a Benchrest shooter but must be able to execute the fundamentals since they are in contact with the rifle. It takes a lot more effort/practice to become consistent when shooting while holding the rifle, (at least for me).

Bipod is another system. Simplest is a Harris. I use them with a 'pod lock'. A light portable bag with a hook to hang it on anything handy, belt.... is something you can evolve to.
I use a store bought v shaped bean bag with a hook already there. It is sometimes a bag, sometimes a squeeze type thing, Raises my wrist...
Get to it and you will find a system.
More fun not dragging a rest and sand around.

This is going to be the hands down most common situation. Without having a bench rest accuracy capable rifle I see no reason to brace the rifle in such a manner. I could see some preferring the bench rest method during load development or sight in procedures.

At the range I use the bipod and bag for prone. For positional shooting I take the bipod off and use a pack, shooting stick or other positional shooting aid. In that case I use a badger bone or small bag. Getting the most at 100 yards from the prone is a lot of fun but is not necessarily the most helpful thing you can do if you have an interest in moving off the flat range.