• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Front tenon sight for Springfield 1911 A1

gryphthemyth

Private
Minuteman
Feb 2, 2010
Arion, Iowa
Hey guys I am rebuilding a Springrield 1911-A1 and I am haveing a heck of a time find any selection for a front sight. Springfield said it is the medium tenon front sight .082 inches wide. Brownells not midway carries these. Any recommends on sights that might have this size tenon sight? By the way I know I can order a wide tenon and file it down to size, but I would like to exhaust the proper size option first.

Re: Front tenon sight for Springfield 1911 A1

I know you think you'd like to exhaust the proper option, but they're normally backordered like a sonofagun. Occasionally not though. I believe the wide is .125. Very easy to file, safe sided file with the sight in a vise. Those sights are hard to find sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Looked at my notes and I file to .100 and then stone to ~.085 for fit. I leave it very tight, and loctite it in as I stake it. I don't like stake on sights but easier than cutting a dovetail on a prefinished slide

Yeah I kind of figured that would be the case but thought I would throw it out there and see what I could find. Thanks

On the other hand have you talked to springer about selling you one possibly?
I know their custom shop installs them regularly