• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Frontier ammo?

pineoak

Assistant Minion
Minuteman
Feb 15, 2017
Cary, North Carolina
Anyone tried Frontier brand ammo?

Maybe Hornady bullets loaded at the Lake City plant? I read that somewhere, but don't remember a reference.

Thinking of trying the 68BTHP "match" in .223

Thoughts?

Anyone tried Frontier brand ammo?

Maybe Hornady bullets loaded at the Lake City plant? I read that somewhere, but don't remember a reference.

Thinking of trying the 68BTHP "match" in .223

Thoughts?
In my buddies rifle the Frontier held 1.5” consistently over several range trips.

The Norma 77’s that were on sale held just under 1” over several range trips.

New rifle, ruger American, unk scope.

Buy a few boxes and send it. Mile high is having a sale, free shipping.

Hope it helps, worth the price you paid at best.

Their .223/5.56 has been overly temperature sensitive IME. Keep it cool and out of direct sunlight and it seems OK.

I won’t touch frontier, my local shop warned me they’d had two rifles explode with it after I bought some. In shooting the ammo I had I know I got some extremely hot rounds out of it. I believe their powder has poor temperature stability and if you let a round heat soak in a hot chamber it really shows it. It’s junk and it’s no cheaper than some much better ammo’s like Norma and PMC

I’ve tried their 55fmj, 68 match and 75g match. The 55grain fmj shot the best in two uppers (18” white oak and 11.3 wilson combat”

The 68/75grain “match” shot 1.5-2” in my 223 26” Kreiger bolt action, which loves the 77grain Federal GMM and the Nosler 77 grain match (both half inch or better)

IMO, good for plinking, but don’t expect match results.

I won’t touch frontier, my local shop warned me they’d had two rifles explode with it after I bought some. In shooting the ammo I had I know I got some extremely hot rounds out of it. I believe their powder has poor temperature stability and if you let a round heat soak in a hot chamber it really shows it. It’s junk and it’s no cheaper than some much better ammo’s like Norma and PMC
Oh S***!!!!

I had a 55gr round blow out a primer that pieces then somehow made it into the gas key opening, locked the gun up pretty solid because the bolt was half indexed in the lugs on return to battery.

It was in the heat of the summer so maybe it really is temp sensitive. It’s definitely hot Ammo on the best days.

I liked it before that happened.

I think there was some bad lots of 55 grain that went out a year or two ago. I've fired a bunch of new production in training and it worked fine. I actually pulled some to see how consistent it was and it wasn't terrible. The powder loaded looked exactly like CFE223.

I shot it some 4-5 years ago when it was $9.99 per box of hollowpoints. I see it’s heading back in that direction. I never tried their fmj options because my ranges wouldn’t allow it.

My BCM with an 18” ss barrel would shoot them around 1.5 MOA. It liked the 55, 75, and 77 grain bullets well enough, but the 68s shot like garbage in my gun. Maybe it was simply the box or two that I tried.

Years back, there was at least one thread, maybe in the semi-auto section, where people were talking about popping primers and maybe uppers exploding. At that point, I decided I would spend the extra dollar or two per box on better ammo and keep the gambling to Winstar and scratch offs.

@UpSideDown. You’ve had good luck with PMC? What weight? Thanks.
I like 55gr for carbine, and their 77gr X-tac is pretty accurate. Not FGMM quality but it’s comparable to IMI ammo. Their loads also must be fairly hot because their velocity numbers are up there. They’ve been good quality and reliable in my experience.