• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Frontier cartridge brand ammo any good?

Mjolnir23

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Oct 7, 2012
Seen some pretty good deals lately on their 75 grain 556/223. I reload but wouldn't mind saving some time away from the reloading room for decent factory ammo assuming good. I have had pretty good results with the hornady 75 grain bthp (same bullets as frontier) factory loaded stuff out of my SPR.

Anyone shot the frontier stuff yet?

I got the 55 gr to break an ar barrel in and form some lake city brass.

It was so hot, maybe 1/4 of the primer pockets would hold a primer. Leaves me with useless brass and it’s not great shooting to start with.

I’m not a fan.

I'm a big fan. It's hot and accurate in a bunch of different ARs I or other people have used it in.

I don't reload so I don't mind the hot aspect. Call it economy superperformance.

Wouldn't call it match grass but it is definitely better than the federal xm193/ ae junk

Edit I'm just talking about the 55s that you can get ten pmags with for $340 at PSA

Last edited:
The 75 grain 5.56 are great out of a heavy barrel ar for me. Matching or exceeding my handloads. 8 twist 24". best factory 'heavy" I've shot. good price too

idahoorion

Reactions: deersniper
Appreciate the help guys, just ordered 200 rounds of the 75 grain ones.

Reactions: Islas82
I hate to resurrect an old post, but I'm curious if anyone has any new info on the Frontier ammo. I got a fantastic deal on 200 rounds of the 75 grain stuff for an SPR I put together.

Frontier ammo used to be Hornady’s brand until the early 90’s, when it switched to the Hornady name. I’m guessing that they brought it back.

Reactions: MarinePMI
Buddy of mine runs it for his 3 gun matches. Shot pretty damn well in my 18” SPR. I ordered 500 rounds for my new 11.3” SBR.

I'm going to run it in the AR on the left. It's got a 20" fluted heavy .223 Wylde barrel from Wilson Combat. I'm hoping it performs well because the price was fantastic. I usually shoot Sig 77gr match but that is twice the price.

Attachments

• LODM7405.JPG
    LODM7405.JPG
    321.2 KB · Views: 66
Shoots very well in my Sig MCX Virtus 11.5" pistol. Sub MOA, better than expected, especially for the price. Worked ok on pigs but better options out there for hunting.

Reactions: TheChief
I need to shoot some more of mine but out of the 40 rounds I shot was getting around 1.5 MOA groups. Could have been me or the gun just doesn't like them but I have consistently shoot under 1 inch with the 75 grain Hornady brand "match" hpbt rounds and did that same day. Did notice the frontier is a bit hotter out of my 16" AR, chronoed it at 2657 fps at 59° and the 75 grain Hornady is just over 2500.

ETA they aren't the same bullets. The Frontier stuff is the ones with cannelures and the Hornady match ones are their non-cannelured ones.

I was feeling like that but all the reports I read of people having issues like that seemed to be about 2 years ago. I'm gonna give it a go.

I just got through shooting a bunch of .223 and 5.56 Frontier in 55gr and 62 gr flavors with no issues, all recent production straight from Hornady. The 55gr HP and 62 gr HP was actually pretty dang accurate and the 62 gr SP was quick but not overly hot out of my 16" carbine.

Shoots about 1 MOA out of my Armalite M15 comp 18". I'd buy more with a killer deal for sure. Great hoser ammo for 3 gun stages if nothing else. Oddly enough, I've had several failures to fire with Hornady black so that stuff's dead to me.

I have an early 90s Win70 in 223 that has shot sub MOA with everything I've put through it. I've also been very curious to try the Frontier line but never did because I imagined components may have been inferior and the ammo to be very inconsistent. However, I may give it a try now after reading through all this. I'll be sure to report back if I do.

**edit**

ok nevermind, I just realized 223 ammo is like gold right now and virtually impossible to get any!

Last edited:
Frontier ammo used to be Hornady’s brand until the early 90’s, when it switched to the Hornady name. I’m guessing that they brought it back.

Frontier is The lake City contract ammo.

They won the lake City bid, so Federal is done there and Hornady is selling it as frontier, like federal did with their xm series American eagle.

That's also why you can get it in 42 gallon barrel quantity.

My LWRC likes it enough to have a good stash of it here in 55 Grn pills. Haven’t noticed any issues with it.

Frontier is The lake City contract ammo.

They won the lake City bid, so Federal is done there and Hornady is selling it as frontier, like federal did with their xm series American eagle.

That's also why you can get it in 42 gallon barrel quantity.

Close, technically Olin (Winchester) won the new Lake City contract. Frontier is made by Lake City for Hornady. Features Hornady bullets I believe and sold through Hornady.

Reactions: Ledzep
I had excellent results with the 75 grain Frontier ammo. I shot two boxes of it out of my SPR and was dusting clay birds no problem at 250 meters. It shot consistently and accurately.

I have shot about 400 rounds of it out of a 16" AR in .223 Wylde. I don't like how hot it is and I've heard enough guys blow up guns with it. My local gun shop was carrying it for a bit and stopped after a few rifles blew up. They couldn't be sure it was the ammo, but there's enough anecdotal evidence out there.

If I'm going to buy brass case, it's because I want quality ammo. I prefer Wolf/Tula for movement drills and anything but Frontier for something nicer.

You’ll be satisfied. Shoots 1/2 moa out of my 16” AR
It shot very well out of my .223 Wylde as well, but mines a 20". did measure the group but I fired all 20 rounds at 100 meters and could cover the group with a half dollar. I'm fine with that for 20 rounds fired in under a minute.