• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Frustration leads to Extreme Measures

JAS-SH

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 5, 2020
Hi All.

I recently took the Vortex Strike Eagle scope off my CZ 457 (only thing 457 left is the action) to test my new 6mm BadRock rifle, while waiting for delivery of its own Vortex Razor scope. They were on sale over Christmas so I paid $1995 for it đź‘Ť.

This rifle was put together to mimic what would eventually would be my now in hand 6mm PRS rifle. This so I could work my shooting kinks out cheaply while waiting for the build. You can see the "CZ" in the first picture below. It sports a .22 Mag Lilja 23-inch match barrel. I went that route because I wanted to be supersonic at 100 yards. Shooting 30-grain CCI VMAX rounds @ 2200 fps.

So, I received the Vortex Razor and the Strike Eagle went back on the rimfire rifle. During zeroing I kept getting a "flier" on every 5 shot group :mad:. Mostly in the same spot. I'd be on my way to a .25-.3 group and end up with one the .5 - .6 Most would start blaming the rifle, but I'm sure it's me. Still haven't figured that out but will work on it. Pictures below.

I finally got frustrated enough after one of them 5-shot groups that I dumped 10 more rounds on it for a 15-shot group. And sure enough, a total max of .64 Inches. And yes it is me. :confused:.

The rifle:

i-btQwx9G-X2.jpg

The pesky 5 shot groups:
i-d64M59r-L.png
i-8XTHCgB-L.png

The 15-shot group:
i-w6955Wj-L.jpg

The truth and nothing but the truth! Once I saw that 15-shot group I did make an adjustment of .1 Mil left. Subsequent 5-shot groups were not better but they were on top of the bullseye, accuracy counts.... Zeroing the rifle took a LOT of rounds to get it where I wanted it to be, "flier" mistakes on my part being a big part of that.

All the best,

JAS-SH

Last edited:
Reactions: Near miss
Am I understanding correctly that you are shooting 22 mag at 100 yds? And you got a .64 MOA 15 shot group?
If so, he needs to be buying lottery tickets.

OP, .22 mag ammo pretty much sucks. There is no "match ammo" for the caliber. If I recall correctly, @justin amateur did a fair amount of testing with it and the results were, um, instructive.

Reactions: carbonbased
Don't keep wasting that ammo punching paper, save it for something special. A hunting trip or comp, whatever, because the next boxes probably won't do that.
Well, scrap the comp because most rimfire comps won't allow magnums.

This .22 Mag. rifle shoots really well with 30 grain VMAX rounds, CCI or Hornady. Same bullet but CCI is a hair most consistent. 40 grain rounds not so much. I can shoot good 3-shot groups but my wheels keep falling off on the 5-shot groups :mad:. I still think it's me..... Here's my best 3-shot group ever with this rifle - hell my best group with any of my rifles, and it was with the above rifle! After the 3rd shot I had one of those "Where the hell did it go?" moments :oops:.

i-JJHCTj9-L.jpg

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with those results.
That's as good as I've seen with the 22wmr at 100 yards.
Even CCI can get it right on occasion.
Those results will vary due to differences on the assembly line.
The boxes you purchased are outstanding compared to my last order.
Blew the bottom out of my reciever. Overcharged cartridges. :(

If you feel like showing just how good those cartridges are,
try the Grid at 50 yards. See if you can hit what you aim at.

Reactions: JAS-SH