• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Ft Sill pigs?

M24_SWS

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 11, 2010
Somersworth, NH
I am on Ft Sill and have been told many times theres a TON of wild pigs down here and according to Ft Sill its basically the pigs are a pest and its kill and leave them. Well i have some people that would eat the meat if i killed them so i have 3 basic questions.

What are the exact type of pigs here on Ft Sill if anyone knows? (It is the weekend so the hunting shack area is closed)

Also will .308 with a 175 bthp be enough killing power for a pig down here?

Also whats the area of lethality i need to shoot a pig down here to be a hopeful instant kill?

Heath

Re: Ft Sill pigs?

There are TONS of Hogs on Ft. Sill. They are your standard feral hog.

Being Federal land they are real strict on what method you can use to hunt hogs. Basically you have to sign out to hunt whatever game is in season (small game). Then you are limited to weapons legal for that game (shotgun with BB or smaller shot or .22 rimfire, also archery). The only time you can hunt with rifle or slugs is during deer, elk, and "special" hog season (usually Feb-March). If hunting under small game restrictions pick a small one and head/neck shots.

The best place for a quick clean DRT on hogs is said to be the neck shot. There is also the standard heart/lung shot. But remember pig hide and shoulders are very tough compared to deer. You want to hit just behind the shoulder if possible.

As always check Ft. Sill specific/current regulations and talk to their staff about restrictions.

Good luck

I don't believe there is a hog season. Say for example it is deer season when your hog hunting you have to have the correct deer tag/s and licence. You can shoot hogs with the same firearms as coyotes, deer, ect.

Oklahoma has some odd restrictions on their hunting. If all you can use is a small caliber like 22 if you put one in a pigs ear they will drop.

The restrictions I listed are not Oklahoma state regulations. The OP asked about <span style="text-decoration: underline">Ft. Sill specifically</span>. It is a Federal installation and regulated differently than State or private lands.

The special "hog" season I mentioned is also a Ft. Sill ONLY thing. After all deer/elk seasons close they usually have a special hog season for a few weeks where they allow you to hunt with rifle/shotgun w/slug in order to harvest more pigs going into the spring season.

I found out on Ft Sill IF your 100% positive....artillery units can send 155 rounds at the pigs. Pretty cool. At least that is what one soldier just told me today.

I just got the Oklahoma hunting license...gotta take the safety course this monday which will have all the details i need then get ft sill permit. If i need to use shotgun then i will buy one but i heard there was rifle, pistol and shotgun allowed on ft sill once.

I heard the pigs will attack you?

Heath

Only time I've ever heard or seen pigs charge is when they have been injured or are cornered and their only option out is past you.

Ill be hunting hogs near Lawton OK next month. just north of sill i think I give range reports while im there

I spent 2 weeks at Ft Sill back in the late 90's on uncle sams dime.

The only hogs I saw were at the Gunner's Inn, I think that was the name. It's been awhile, but yes there were hogs there and they were being hunted by Joe something fierce.

Sorry, I know this has been of no help

there are alot of hogs , Im the UXO tech on Falcon and i know its shotgun,bow or rimfire only there i think there are few rifle areas on west and east range will have to check with fish and wildlife.

Was out by quanah range west past falcon gate last weekend and saw a lot of tracks by falcon but no hogs. Trying to keep this thread alive so when the special hog season on sill starts up we can post range reports.

they just heli hunted falcon 2 weeks ago for hogs but there still there I see them all the time on the range checks