• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

FTF Sale? I don't think so... argh! (venting)

jtb33

Minuteman
Jun 15, 2010
PHX, AZ - USA
So, I'm selling a scope I don't want on the classifieds here.

I received a PM on 12/06 from a SH member who's been on the site for >2 years and is local to me: "I'm interested in the scope. I'm live in phoenix so we could do a face to face. Give me a call Troy [phone number redacted]"

I called him less than an hour later with no answer, so I left a VM and then replied to the above PM with the same info I left in the VM, providing my phone number and details on the area I lived so we could figure out a time and place to meet so he could buy the scope.

I received a call from him at about 8:30PM that nigh and we came to the agreement that we'd meet on Friday the 9th, and as he lives on the way home of my daily work commute. We left off with him agreeing to call me at 3PM before I left work so we could figure out a time and place on my way home that day.

On Friday, 12/9, after not hearing from him at 3PM, I gave him a call at 3:10PM with no answer. I tried several more times between 3PM and 4:30PM (and left VM with my phone number, in case he lost it or didn't have caller ID). He finally called back at about 7:15PM to let me know that he was out of town on a suprise trip from his girlfriend. He apologized and said that he'd be back on Sunday evening. I was coordial and understanding and we left off with me calling him on Monday morning at 11AM to meet up. I call him at 11AM, Monday morning - no answer. I left a VM and figured that I'd try again in the afternoon. I called at 3PM hoping to get in touch before I went home, it went to VM again. I called at 5:30PM while driving on my way home and he finally answered. He said that his car had been stolen while he was out of town. I offered to go to meet him that night at his place, or somewhere near it with the scope, but he said he didn't have the $$ because he couldn't get to a bank before they closed. Ok, fair enough. So HE suggested that we could meet the next morning - Tuesday morning - at about 9 or 10AM near his home after his girlfriend took him to the bank.

I'm supposed to be @ work by 8AM, but this deal has been dragging on so long and I've passed over two other "I'll take it if it's still available" requests, so I figure I'll make arrangements with my work and accomodate him just to be done with it. We agreed that we'd meet at a specific restaurant parking lot at 9AM on Tuesday, 12/13 and that I'd call him at 9AM. So I'm there a bit early at 8:45AM, and wait 15 minutes and then give him a call at 9AM. It goes right to VM. I wait 5 minutes and try again: right to VM again. I left a coordial VM letting him know I was there waiting. I tried again every 5 minutes until 9:35AM. At that point, I had been waiting for ~50 minutes and was getting rather frustrated and upset. I would be 2 hours late to work at this point and I couldn't wait any longer.

On my way to work, I called the other two who were interested in buying the scope and both had already purchased one from SWFA. Great. So here I am, still have the scope and am out more $$ from missing work while trying to be a nice guy and accomodate this person. ARGH!

Re: FTF Sale? I don't think so... argh! (venting)

I don't get it either, why are locals harder to deal with.

Re post it. If the guy come back Charge him extra. If it sold once it will sell again...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Doug.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What a tool.. if he didn't want it why not jus say so? </div></div>

Exactly. At any time he could have said he didn't want it and I'd be OK with that. Or a call saying "I can't make it to meet you".

It pisses me off that I tried to accommodate HIM several times (at a tangible monetary cost to me), including being blown off by him twice, and he can't just give me a call to indicate he can't make it or will be late, or doesn't want it.

Oh, and 'local guy', if you're reading this...people like you are what is referred to as a shitbag or flake. If you decide you can't afford it, let the seller know so he can get it sold.

Had that happen more than once except it has to do with sending payment by USPS. Standard answers are 'I didnt have time' 'My "blank" is sick and couldnt mail it today' or they flat out dont send payment and dont respond to PMs. So then your stuck with your shit that has had other viable offers, but you dont take them cause numb nutz is supposed to have the check in the mail when it isnt. I mean what the hell is wrong with these folks, just say you cant afford it or you dont want it any more and move on!

i hate it when you make a deal with someone and when it comes time to meet up they ignore your calls or emails. they dont have the intestinal fortitude to say hey im broke just sell it to someone else and thanks for ure time. i would report him to the snipershide moderators.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Out him. </div></div>

1911nbmore

I sold the scope (for real this time) the same day I bumped the ad, so other than my own time and money, it worked out, but lesson learned, I guess.