• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Full length die neck sizing?

KeithR41

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Jul 20, 2009
    Oregon
    I fairly new to reloading so I'm asking her. I was told by a friend that I can neck size using my full length RCBS dies. 2x fired brass will already chamber in my rifle with just a slight tension. I know there are better dies for this but can it be done with mine and how might one go about it?

Thanks, Keith

Re: Full length die neck sizing?

Read the instructions that came with your die set. You basically have to back the die out about 1/4 turn or something close to that. Don't trust my memory on this. I'm sure the adjustment instructions covers this. Or at least they used to. If all else fails call RCBS on their toll free line and ask someone there.

While mine is the redding full length, the 1/4 turn off the bottom is what the redding tech told me when I started reloading. Never have had a problem over many years since.

Been there, done that. Be careful doing this. Using a full length die for partial sizing MAY cause the brass to lengthen and not chamber in your rifle. Think about it this way- the full length die squeezes the brass down length-wise and in circumference. I found that the case will grow in length if you don't bump the shoulder. Get an RCBS Precision Mic and use it to check your brass after firing and after resizing. You can resize a minimum amount this way and be assured that your brass will easily chamber in YOUR rifle.

If you back off die about 1/8th inch above shell holder size one case about half way down neck and try in rifle. If you have hard closing the shoulder has moved forward and you are going to have to FL size it to get the bolt to close easily.
    For 30 cal neck sizing you can neck size several 30 cal necks using a 308 neck die like 30.06, 30-30, 30-40.
    You don't want to be forcing bolt handle closed on long shoulders. I have seen several rifles that hard closing and light triggers would go off when bolt bottoms hard.