• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Full Length Re-Size or Just Neck Size for .300 WM

jrservices

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2009
Crossville, TN
I'm fairly new to reloading and have heard some people say they neck size only because "Its More Accurate" etc. And others say Full Lenght is the only way to go. Please educate me on the subject. I have a GAP .300 win mag, what are the pro's and con's of each?

Thanks,
Richard

Re: Full Length Re-Size or Just Neck Size for .300 WM

I just backed out my full length die to the chamber. I bought the hornady headspace gauge. If you neck size I think you have to full length size every 5 to 6 rounds i think. Backing the die out also works the brass less.

FL every thing for flawless function. Find a case that fits snug and just barely size it. Try it in the rifle and if the bolt is tight screw the fL die in 1/8 turn and try again. Keep this up until the bolt closes smoothly. The brass will be sized for that chamber and last longer.

Re: Full Length Re-Size or Just Neck Size for .300

You need a way to measure your fired brass. RCBS precision mic Hornady/Stoney Point and Sinclair make a gizmo to measure your fired case from base to shoulder. Redding FL S die with a proper bushing, sizing your brass .001/.0015 will keep the bolt running with one finger.
http://www.sinclairintl.com/product/5574/Case-Gauges-Headspace-Tools
Crossville's not that far from Oak Ridge come and play..........

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrservices</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Please educate me on the subject. </div></div>

FL sizing is more accurate (by a small tad)
NO sizing preserves the life of the brass (up to 50 reload cycle)

I NO size most of the time. My gun regularly shoots (my reloads) one 0.35" 5-shot group, two 0.4-0.45" 5-shot groups and one 0.6" 5-shot group from a box of 20 cartriges. I suspect the group sizes could come down 0.05"-ish if I went with a FL size routine all the time. So, for tactical and steel rining purposes, NO is good enough. When $$$ or trophies are on the line FL size.

Note a FL sized case may have ever so slightly different powder charge weight for optimal group size. So, if yo are NO sizing and go to FL sizing with no change in your recipie, don't expect your groups to suddenly look better.

i neck size only for my 300 win mag. i am over 10 firings on winchester brass and it still chambers and extracts just fine. you would probably be fine full length sizing if you just touch the shoulder. i definatly wouldn't push the shoulder back to minimum specs on a belted magnum.

Re: Full Length Re-Size or Just Neck Size for .300

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrservices</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm fairly new to reloading and have heard some people say they neck size only because "Its More Accurate" etc. And others say Full Lenght is the only way to go. Please educate me on the subject. I have a GAP .300 win mag, what are the pro's and con's of each?

Thanks,
Richard </div></div>

It is a matter of preference dude. Try both and decide what you like. There isn't a right or wrong answer.