• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Full-length resizing or neck only?

KurtM

Private
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2009
Oregon
Sorry, but I'm full of questions on reloading...but you guys have really given me some great insight!

For match chamber bolt guns (and keeping the brass separate for each). Do you like to full length resize or just neck size your brass? I'm FL sizing for my autos. This is primarily for .308 and .223.

Thanks Again!

Re: Full-length resizing or neck only?

All my manual action weapons get Neck Sized only for rifle. My semi's get a FL resize.

The bolt guns I only size about 3/4 of the neck and lead a small unsized neck area that also helps as an additional alignment pilot. Seems to have some good effects for me.

I neck-only most of the time. However, I run the case through the case micrometer before sizing and after sizing to make sure the case will fit in the chamber. I have done this for both semi-autos (AR15) and for my bolt guns (M700).

The only thing you look for in Neck-Only sizing for semi-autos is to get the neck tension set at 0.003 where bolt guns are happy with 0.002 and some benchrest guns are happy with 0.001.

I neck size for my bolt guns, no need to full length size them all the time. Brass lasts longer when you neck size.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 168grSolution</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry, but I'm full of questions on reloading...but you guys have really given me some great insight!

For match chamber bolt guns (and keeping the brass separate for each). Do you like to full length resize or just neck size your brass? I'm FL sizing for my autos. This is primarily for .308 and .223.

Thanks Again! </div></div>

In my experience, I can neck size for a few cycles and then things start to get sticky and so I'll full length size them and repeat the process.

There's really no 'one way or the other'. Your rifle and ammo will tell YOU what you need to do at the reloading bench.

Chris

There is another option, take some 1x and 2x fired cases, send them to ......oh I cant remember is it was Hornady or Forester, and they will make a custom die for you so it only size the case down enough to fit your chamber without over working the brass, rather than necking or full lengt sizing every time.

I neck size for my target bolt guns, but after every 5 or so loads, I use a body die to resize the case.

F/L resizing each time. I tried various ways of resizing, then had a chance to chat w/G.David Tubb and asked him what he does. He F/L resizes each time, and now, so do it. Do I need a better reason?

Greg

Greg the only flaw I can find in your logic is David probably has'nt had to pay for a piece of brass in 20 years.
grin.gif
I neck size with the appropriate bushing on a s type redding die.My thinking is the less I move the brass the better.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is another option, take some 1x and 2x fired cases, send them to ......oh I cant remember is it was Hornady or Forester, and they will make a custom die for you so it only size the case down enough to fit your chamber without over working the brass, rather than necking or full lengt sizing every time. </div></div>
another variation on this theme, is that if you really wanna get high speed/low drag, when you have your smith cut a chamber for your new custom bbl, have him make a set of custom dies for that chamber w/ the same reamer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ewoaf</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is another option, take some 1x and 2x fired cases, send them to ......oh I cant remember is it was Hornady or Forester, and they will make a custom die for you so it only size the case down enough to fit your chamber without over working the brass, rather than necking or full lengt sizing every time. </div></div>
another variation on this theme, is that if you really wanna get high speed/low drag, when you have your smith cut a chamber for your new custom bbl, have him make a set of custom dies for that chamber w/ the same reamer. </div></div>

If you do that it will be a total waste of money and the gunsmith will laugh his butt off as you leave! Old wifes tail that is BS.. The gunsmith must use another reamer called a resize reamer that is slightly smaller in the neck, along the sides and the base, otherwise you have zero sizing anywhere. Ask any knowledgable smith or reamer maker. Most smiths do not stock matching resize reamers due to low demand.

Now if you want a custom die, buy a redding body bump die ($25) if it is available, send it and 5 cases fired 3x to Jim Carstenson at JLC Precision in Iowa. See 6mmbr.com under tools section. For about $80, he will make a custom honed FL size die that uses bushings that perfectly matches your chamber and gives minimal sizing. turn around is aobut 2-3 wks.

Now if you want a real custom die with something no one else has, send your chamber reamer print and 5 pieces of brass fired 3x to Neil Jones at Neil Jones Custom Products in PA. He can use just the fired brass. He makes a FL custom size die that uses special shoulder bump bushings that no one else has. Cost is $175 (same thing a resize reamer will cost you and the smith will charge at least that more to make a die). Turn around time is 30-45 days normally. These are the absolute best dies made and totally custom to your chamber.

BH

Neck size if the ammo will be used in the same rifle. Full length resize if you want ammo to fit all of your rifles.

If you are trying to squeeze gnats ass accuracy out of your rig then matching your ammo to the specific rifle is best and the oal can vary from rifle to rifle.

I load to Factory standards trying my best to recreate M118lr. Although I did change the powder from R15 to vargent the load was cooked up to give me 2650 fps pushing a 175 smk just because that dope is well established, it works and I can get premade dope cards and BDC knobs for most optics. YMMV

I FL size for gas guns, always. I also bump the shoulder .002 instead of .001 for gas guns. For bolt guns I bump .001, for the first few firings sometimes .0005. I don't neck size only and haven't found any valid (to me) reason to do that yet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">F/L resizing each time. I tried various ways of resizing, then had a chance to chat w/G.David Tubb and asked him what he does. He F/L resizes each time, and now, so do it. Do I need a better reason?

Greg </div></div>
David Tubb would be using a custom made FL die to match his chamber so it would be far less of a potential problem than a standard El cheapo FL die.