• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Full Length sizing 338LM ?

Jaxdialation

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 24, 2011
Colorado
I've read some suggestions that FL sizing 338 Lapua will
shorten case life vs a bushing die, with occasional FL sizing.

I'm starting to reload .338LM and wonder what you more experienced
folks do. If its a bushing die, can you tell me the make and bushing
size it would help. Thanks in advance.

Oh, I'm using Lapua Brass if that matters.

Re: Full Length sizing 338LM ?

I fully prep, including FL size, all my new brass initially and as well as any once-fired brass that I buy. After that I bump the shoulder back 3 thou and neck size. Seems to be working for me.

This is also Lapua brass in the case of 338LM though I pretty much use this for about every caliber I reload, less pistol that is.

I fully prep all my .338 Lap Brass including annealing. I only FL size enough to just bump the shoulder back a couple of thou. I really can't how doing it this way will adversely effect case life life to such a degree but I guess there are arguments both ways.

I use a Redding bushing die and a .366 bushing get's me .003 neck tension with Lapua brass. When I need to bump the shoulder I use a Redding bump die.

Same as above. For .338 I neck size twice then anneal followed by FL size on 3rd firing, then rinse and repeat.

I do think neck sizing only SHOULD prolong case life, but since this is the only way I do it I have no concrete proof. You are working the brass much less with the neck sizing than the FL.

madd0c

I full length with the die set to bump the shoulder back just enough to chamber. I have 11 to 12 loads out of the same batch of Lapua brass.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mark S</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use a Redding bushing die and a .366 bushing get's me .003 neck tension with Lapua brass. When I need to bump the shoulder I use a Redding bump die. </div></div>

Is this enough tension on the bullet to keep it secure in a box magazine?