• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk Full size or compact can for PRS?

Nostradumbass

Falconer
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Sep 7, 2009
    NE Texas
    Hey boys,

I’ve been shooting PRS for about 2 years now. So far, I’ve always ran a full size direct thread suppressor on 6.5 caliber rifles.

So I’ve got a Surefire 762mini that I don’t use much on gas guns, and I like the minimal length it adds to a full length bolt gun. The level of sound suppression isn’t as good as a full size can, but with ear protection, it’s not bad. The other advantage over my direct thread is that my thread on can always seems to work loose between stages.

Just wanted to get the thoughts of the guys running cans in comps. Is there a major disadvantage with running a compact can vs full size at matches?

Thanks!

Reactions: Xferbuckeye
    I ran the Thunder Beast Ultra 9 for 2 years, and now I am on my second year of running the Ultra 7. With the Ultra 9 I ran a 24" barrel to keep my overall length more manageable. While running the Ultra 7 I run a 26", so roughly the same overall length. Both can use the Thunder Beast brake for mounting, I haven't had it come loose since my first year running them, but I also double check before each stage just to make sure.

How is the muzzle rise between the two, is there a noticeable difference? if there is no noticeable difference in muzzle rise I would run the shorter can just to save some length when entering/exiting a prop.

Reactions: Nostradumbass
    I ran the Thunder Beast Ultra 9 for 2 years, and now I am on my second year of running the Ultra 7. With the Ultra 9 I ran a 24" barrel to keep my overall length more manageable. While running the Ultra 7 I run a 26", so roughly the same overall length. Both can use the Thunder Beast brake for mounting, I haven't had it come loose since my first year running them, but I also double check before each stage just to make sure.

How is the muzzle rise between the two, is there a noticeable difference? if there is no noticeable difference in muzzle rise I would run the shorter can just to save some length when entering/exiting a prop.
    The weight between the two suppressors is minimal. I’m not seeing much muzzle rise between the two either….if anything, the shorter suppressor may be a little less “less back pressure maybe?”

I suppose for me, the main rub with the mini suppressor is that it’s louder…..but WAY quieter than a muzzle brake. I guess I’m wondering if a louder suppressor is worth using if it saves a few inches of overall length…..and does a few decibels of sound really make a difference in a match situation, even when shooting in a civilized squad?

Last edited:
    The weight between the two suppressors is minimal. I’m not seeing much muzzle rise between the two either….if anything, the shorter suppressor may be a little less “less back pressure maybe?”

I suppose for me, the main rub with the mini suppressor is that it’s louder…..but WAY quieter than a muzzle brake. I guess I’m wondering if a louder suppressor is worth using if it saves a few inches of overall length…..and does a few decibels of sound really make a difference in a match situation, even when shooting in a civilized squad?
    Do you normally wear ear pro at the matches?

I like them quiet, but I am already wearing ear pro, and I could stand mine to be a little louder so the timer could maybe pick up my shot.

Do you normally wear ear pro at the matches?

I like them quiet, but I am already wearing ear pro, and I could stand mine to be a little louder so the timer could maybe pick up my shot.
    That makes sense. 👍
    I do wear ear pro…usually not double since I try and stay in a suppressed only squad.

Reactions: cgobeli
    I started shooting matches with a TBAC 30BA 9” can, I transitioned to brakes due to extra recoil management and shorter length going in and out of pipes and ports. I hate the blast and considering switching back to running suppressed using my KGM R30k which is nice and short and running a shorter barrel.

I picked up a used 23” barrel I plan to test the idea with in a few matches and see how I like it.

I wear double hearing protection when shooting inside pipes or other high noise situation but I still catch my self flinching and requiring more concentration to shoot well in those situations and think that the reduction in blast will help me concentrate and shoot better.

I guess it depends on if your trying to win or place well someday or just having fun. There is a major advantage with brakes in the PRS game, I haven't shot an unsuppressed gun in about 15 years at anything, learning to shoot with the brake takes time but the advantages are totally worth it fir PRS. I've yet to go to a match where you didn't need earpro so why not get the most out of your gun??

Brakes are much better at recoil reduction, less weight, less length, much less mirage, barrel stays cooler, less expensive and much less things to go wrong. I'll take all that to be louder at a match.

I started shooting matches with a TBAC 30BA 9” can, I transitioned to brakes due to extra recoil management and shorter length going in and out of pipes and ports. I hate the blast and considering switching back to running suppressed using my KGM R30k which is nice and short and running a shorter barrel.

I picked up a used 23” barrel I plan to test the idea with in a few matches and see how I like it.

I wear double hearing protection when shooting inside pipes or other high noise situation but I still catch my self flinching and requiring more concentration to shoot well in those situations and think that the reduction in blast will help me concentrate and shoot better.
    I like shooting my R30K as well. Recoil is a bit shorter duration, less decibel reduction is not a issue because I still wear ear pro.

Reactions: Baron85
    I don't shoot much PRS anymore. But last match I shot suppressed with my Abel Biscuit, and it was really pleasant.

It's a shorter fat suppressor. Suppresses small to "schmedium" cartridges (think 6.5 cm) pretty well - obviously not as well as a large volume can, but enough to still be pretty pleasant. Really reduces concussion, which is my main goal with a suppressor. Has a very pleasant recoil impulse, recoils more like a brake.

I use Rearden mounts. Work great - I always check at the beginning of a stage if the suppressor is tight, but never any issues. Reliable return to zero, no problem taking suppressor off at end of day for transport.

I don't compete for podiums, that's not why I shoot matches. For me and my uses, a suppressor works great at matches. If I wanted to be ultra competitive, perhaps I would use something different.