• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Full time irons for GAP-10 (Not BUIS)

MisterMoad

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2012
Dayton, OH
www.facebook.com
I'm about to order a GAP-10, but unfortunately it will completely drain my bank account. I won't be able to afford proper glass for a while.

Does anyone know of a set of irons for the GAP-10 that are more precise than your run of the mill BUIS? If that option doesn't exist, what BUIS would you recommend?

I know its not ideal, but I can still shoot a couple hundred yards with irons and that would be more than adequate to eliminate coyotes on my property.

Thanks,
Moad

You could go with a NM (1/4moa adjustment) rear and a fixed front, but I would think with the additional rail height it would be less than desirable still. That and NM sights are not cheap either...

I would recommend going with a red dot sight instead of irons. Aimpoint Pros are down under $400 quite often, used even cheaper. A Vortex Sparc or Primary Arms RDS are decent budget options as well if you don't want to go Aimpoint durability. Not to mention when coyote hunting you won't always be in good lighting, and a small iron sight rear aperture will hinder more than help you in reduced lighting.

I found the KAC 200-600 BUIS are plenty accurate. Adjusting elevation at the rear is key for me. They can be kept when you mount your scope.

The LMT detachable sights are pretty robust and will give you all the function of A2 sights, though you will ditch them when you get your scope.

Last edited:
You could get cheaper optics for now, not much price difference compared to a good set of irons. Think SWFA fixed 10x or similar.
Of course you could keep the irons on there as BUIS later on, which you can't with the cheaper scope, so it will depend on your own preference.

Don't you have a scope on another rifle you could swap with for now?

If you don't want a buis style I would get the LMT mws ones they are very nie guys sell them all the time on here for pretty cheap.if you go with back ups I would go with kac or Troy

For what you'll likely spend on a quality set of precision irons for your GAP-10 (not your el cheapo BUIS), you'll likely have a few hundred invested. Add to that the fact that the GAP-10's rail height is already higher than your average .308 AR and you'll almost certainly need to deal with some sort of cheek riser or adjustment to get a proper cheek weld to use the irons (adding more time/cost depending on what stock you are having put on the rifle at the outset).

You can get a set of reasonable quality, budget-minded rings and a fixed power optic (like a used SWFA SS in 6x or 10x, Bushnell 3200 10x, etc., etc.) and be in and done for <$300 which should serve you well in the interim until you can afford a more suitable optic, mount/rings for more permanent position on the rifle.

Hell; I can just send you the irons from my LMTMWS. I've had several pair and not used them once I get the RTS or buis I intended to for my own preference. Another thought is look at the bushnell trs25 (3 moa) with bushnell riser. You can likely find one for 110.00 or so.

You could always go to wally world or Kmart and pick up a cheap 3-9x30 or 40 Tasco, usually under $50. CTD usually has UTG extra tall rings for about $10 that'll clear a flattop rail. Not 100% "operator" or "tacticool" but it'll work until you can afford higher quality optics.

Get a Bushnell Trs-25 mini red dot and affordable riser and u will be good for what your trying to do... all under 150 on amazon.... and pretty decent setup to get u started

I'm about to order a GAP-10, but unfortunately it will completely drain my bank account. I won't be able to afford proper glass for a while.

Does anyone know of a set of irons for the GAP-10 that are more precise than your run of the mill BUIS? If that option doesn't exist, what BUIS would you recommend?

I know its not ideal, but I can still shoot a couple hundred yards with irons and that would be more than adequate to eliminate coyotes on my property.

Thanks,
Moad

Their wait time is 6-8 months, you have plenty of time to build up some dough for a scope.