• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fun challenges?

TB2Blazer

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 26, 2010
Cleveland, GA
I don't know if this is the right place to post but since I will be using my bolt gun here goes. My buddy and I are always shooting and even though we both enjoy banging steel I wondered if anyone had any interesting or fun competition games so we can have a little friendly competition thats more interesting? We have shot the exploding targets and stuff but I was wondering what others do? Accuracy game ideas, interactive/moving target ideas anything to make it fun and different. I have about 300 acres to shoot on with varying terrain and shots from 10-800 yards so I can set up just about anything. Let me know if you have any ideas or what you do. Thanks.

Re: Fun challenges?

My buddy and I will shoot the dot drill and see who shoots better. Than we will put a time line on it to induce some stress. Try that out and see what you think.

Take a look at the targets Impact Data Books. They offer a variety of options to challenge you and you buddy whike shooting.

You should try hanging some eggs or tennis balls by some string, and place them from 200-500 yard range. Now that is a challenge and it's cheap. The trick though is you cannot place anything behind them that will show where your previous hits were, so you need to set up near some woods to stop the bullet (just my suggestion). I have a friend who does this on his land, and it proves to be very difficult. Really teaches you how to read and compensate for small changes in the wind.

Staple a deck of cards to a target board and play poker. Get 3 or 4 people to shoot with you and you can have a good bit of fun. Put money on it if you want higher stakes/more pressure. Increase the distance for more challenge.

Also, have your wife or someone who isn't shooting, tape a bunch of ketchup packets up on the target board with 1 mustard packet in the bunch. Do it in a grid so you can call your shots. eg: A through E and 1 through 5. Each shot costs a dollar, first one to find the mustard gets the pot.

Try the dot drill with a shot timer... prone, sitting, kneeling, offhand, support side prone. Keep track of your times and try to lower them each practice session. That's kept me busy on the 100 yd range for the last 6 months.