• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fun day shooting the APA Quad (w/Range Report)

JR_V

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 3, 2008
Londonderry, NH
Up till this weekend I was just getting comfortable with shooting the Quad .22LR with Rem. Subs. This weekend I changed that. I had some Eley Std, Eley Tenex(for shits and giggles), Wolf MT, and CCI Green Tag to test out. They all shot well for me but the Eley Std was my load of the day. We had targets out @ 50Y and 100Y and steel spinners (2 1/4" top 3 5/8 Bot.) @ 125Y and 150Y. This was all shot Prone bipod and rear bag.

Didn't snap a current pic so here is one from last weekend.

APAQuad.jpg

I got into position set my scope for 100Y paper and was off to the left a bit but wanted to do a five round group before I changed any settings. Elevation was acceptable but windage was off a touch. Barrel was seasoned the day before with about 100 rounds of Eley through a clean barrel.

Here is a pic. 100Y first five shots of the day

Quad100.jpg

Feeling good I dialed down to my 50Y zero and forgot to dial some windage to get right on target. I blasted another 5 round group.

QuadEleyStd50Y.jpg

The Eley Std shot well for me and I was happy with the price tag on the Eley Standard.
smile.gif
I shot some Tenex and I think I was psyching myself out shooting $20 per 50 rounds .22LR ammo. I definitely had the thought of the price of the shit on my mind while pulling the trigger. Anyways here is my best Tenex group at 50Y. The other few were twice the size. I just didn't feel comfortable shooting the expensive stuff. I tried some Tenex at 100Y and got 1-1.25" groups. Not bad but I could relax with shooting the cheap shit better
smile.gif

QuadEleyTenex50Y.jpg

Steel with the match grade stuff was fun. Very consistent compared to the Rem Subs. @ 125Y it was boringly easy top or bottom. 150Y took a mag for me to get settled in and once on the large bottom was pretty damn easy. Top was a bit of a challenge. If I drove the gun properly it was very doable, but my errors showed when I was off.

I tried a bunch of the CCI Green tag and the Wolf MT. The Wolf was very much like the Eley Std, but my gun didn't really like the CCI GT. I had a hell of a time to group it tight at 50Y Might have been me but the Eley Std and Wolf MT worked well enough that I have no reason to look elsewhere yet.

I had a great time with perfect weather (74* no wind) and am really getting comfortable driving the gun and being comfortable in the prone position for a good period of time. I now know the gun shoots not that I doubted it did but with the Rem Subs I couldn't tell if it was shooter error or ammo variance. Now I am much better at telling when I push a bad shot and stopping myself from pushing that bad shot. The match grade ammo definitely helps me <span style="text-decoration: line-through">know</span> confirm when I F'ed it up! Was an expensive day for doing ammo testing, but I have a few good loads to grab and shoot with that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Hopefully I don't get to the point that I want to be shooting the Tenex. Cant wait to head out next weekend.

(ETA)

I also wanted to thank Sean aka matchking here for letting go of this fine rifle. She is my new love, and a cheap date to boot. Sean is good to go!

Re: Fun day shooting the APA Quad

Thanks Flyboy. Great training tool that is a hell of alot cheaper to shoot than the centerfires. Nice not wearing ear pro too. Next is a Premier scope and a nice .22 suppressor.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: B. Melick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What are the specs of your rimfire rifle?</div></div>

American Precision Arms Built Sako Quad

Quad action
APA Bolt handle/knob
Lilja .22LR .900 bull barrel
US Optics scope base
Manners T4 in Gap Camo
Rimfire Tech bottom Metal
Falcon 4-14x44 mil/mil

Thanks for the report. I am impressed with how well your rifle shoots.

I ordered a custom 10/22 from Clark last year and my best groups with SK Std Plus are 1" at 100.

Half MOA with a rimfire at that distance is outstanding.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: macman2564</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jr_V, if you ever look to sell this thing PM me first!! Nicely done. </div></div>

The only person that will be selling this thing will be my wife when I drop dead. I will give her your contact info.
smile.gif

This this is an absolute blast to shoot and is cheap training. I did alot of dryfiring on the centerfires, but it is nice to pull the trigger and get real feedback at the target. Hardest thing is trying not to push a bad shot. Easy to do when ammo costs are so cheap, but want the mentality of every pull of the trigger should be as perfect as I can make it be. I don't want to be pushing bad shots when shooting the big boys.

Nice shooting!

How do you like the stock? If you could do it over again would you get the adjustable cheek?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Iggy.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice shooting!

How do you like the stock? If you could do it over again would you get the adjustable cheek?</div></div>

The manners is a great stock. It is very close to my MCM A5 on my Remy .308 which was key and I don't have a problem with not having an adjustable cheek. When I upgrade to a scope with larger objective then I might have an issue, but at the moment I am running the Falcon 4-14x44 with lows and I get a great sight picture. To me the adjustable cheek wouldn't have been a deal breaker because you can always install a Karstens adj. cheek if needed.

Jr_V do you have a pick of your bottom metal? I know you guys used the Badger bottom, I just wanted to see how different it is to the Rimfire Tech bottom metal.

Iggy, No badger BM for the quads. I am running the RT BM which is a huge improvement over the plastic crap.