• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Functional Range Day

Will Brink

Private
Minuteman
Oct 13, 2010
Hell (MA)
www.optimalswat.com
My Functional Range Day:

For training that improves both the ability to shoot under physical stress and General Physical Preparedness (GPP)/conditioning, I will have what I call a functional range day. The functional range day, combines functional whole body exercises - using easy to find and transport implements - combined with shooting.

I tend to use a level of resistance that's more toward conditioning* but if I were to stack 3-4 45lb plates, or rocks, or chains, etc onto the sled, use the 120+lb sand bag I have, etc, the intensity levels go up real fast.

Anyone who has added a physical stress modifier to their shooting knows how fast shooting accuracy suffers, unless it's something you practice, and have the strength and or conditioning for it. If you have not done something like it before, it's harder then it looks.

This vid covers a simple Functional Range day I did recently. It's in 5 cycles. One can just do each of them once, and see how it goes, or up to 3 times each, and see how that effects your shooting. Obviously, it will depend on what condition you are in to start with, etc.

It's not intended as PT per se, but obviously that will be the result of such training, ergo, an improvement in GPP, endurance, and strength (as well as shooting proficiency under stress!) depending on the condition you are in already, intensity/loading used, etc.

It's simple and easy to set up, and the variations, virtually endless. I try and do this type of training 1-2 per month if I can, more often if possible.

I'm not a shooting instructor (and my shooting reflects that!), so I make no specific recs there per se. On that range, I was shooting at steel upper torso shape target about half real person size at 20-10 yards aiming for center mass/upper chest.

If one wants to track groupings, etc, paper targets, smaller steal plates, etc can also be used. Here's a recent Functional Range Day:

That's an example of a personal functional range day for me. What's yours look like?

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/v-Cw7pdI6gk"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/v-Cw7pdI6gk" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

* = (as the heavy stuff tends to get done in the gym, but some times I will load the sled up, or bring the big heavy ass bag, etc)

Re: Functional Range Day

No one else?
confused.gif
cool.gif
confused.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: phlii</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That is bad ass. It's hybrid between Crossfit and shooting. I wish I had the space to do this. </div></div>

Thanx....That's the type of thing I do in my courses, with the LE tactical teams I have worked with, etc. Lots of vids on my YT page dedicated to tactical LE training using my Practical Applied Stress Training (PAST) program, as well as other stuff of interest:

http://www.youtube.com/user/SWATFITNESSTRAINING

You don't have any ranges where you can do something like that?

Back home, my buddy has some land that we could probably set up something like this. I'll definitely check out your site and materials.

I wish there was an event where you would have to navigate an obstacle course with shooting stations. Kind of like biathlon, but a summer variant without skis.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: phlii</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Back home, my buddy has some land that we could probably set up something like this. I'll definitely check out your site and materials.

I wish there was an event where you would have to navigate an obstacle course with shooting stations. Kind of like biathlon, but a summer variant without skis. </div></div>

That is the type of thing I do with the people/groups I work with. See vids...
grin.gif