• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Funded or Non-Funded Sch. A?

3bnRanger

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 20, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio
I need to mail my Trust and other Docs today but due to conflicting information I wanted to confirm the "ATF requirement" for the Schedule A. Preferably, what has been working BEST recently?

1. Should it be funded or not.

2. If it should be funded, does the ATF flag it if a non-firearm/destructive device is used to fund it (i.e. money, painting, etc.)?

3. Regarding a raised Notary Seal...should I send in the original with the raised seal?

4. Regarding the Form 4....Q 15 (Transferee's Cert.) what is being used for the "REASONS to possess"? This will be used for LEO purposes even though I have to purchase it myself. Should I notate this as a reason - "LEO use"?

Thanks.

Re: Funded or Non-Funded Sch. A?

I have $10 on my Schedule A. Nothing else and I have never added NFA items as I bought them. Never had an issue. They know what I own; they approved it.

I have used both Investment and All Lawful Purposes on my reason. Once again, never an issue.

#1 Funded or not:
I used a $10.00 dollar bill and listed it on Schedule A by denomination and serial number.

#2: Did not cause a problem with mine. YMMV

#3 Raised Notary Seal:

Do NOT send the original. Take a pencil or powdered graphite and highlight the seal so it will show when you make copies. I use lead's from a drafting pencil, they come in packages separate from the mechanical pencil itself.

#4 I stated "All Lawful Purposes"

The trust must own something to exist in most states, so yes, you should fund it. However, as the grantor, you can also remove items from the trust. I funded mine with $20 when I created it, then after acquiring my first NFA item, I removed the $20. You should update the Schedule A with all new acquisitions and (IMO) complete an Assignment of Property for each new acquisition as well.

Since ATF is now examinging trusts for legality, I think it's crazy not to include new purchases on the Schedule A... you want them calling you and saying "The NFRTR shows your trust owns 6 weapons but the documentation you sent us suggests your trust does not have them?"

Never send the original trust document, you won't be getting it back. I send them a copy with an "AUTHORIZED COPY" watermark printed across every page.

Regarding the "Reason" box, some states require careful wording there, but in most places "All lawful purposes" or "collecting purposes" is good enough.