• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fury 5000 AB vs a Leica with 4DOF?

KMW

Private
Minuteman
Feb 15, 2021
PNW
Hi all! Kinda been a lurker here for awhile. Really appreciate all the knowledge and info here!

I have a question related to rangefinder/ballistic calculator combination devices. I currently use a binocular for observation, a Bushnell 1 Mile Elite for ranging, and Hornady 4DOF phone app for calculator.

I have been looking at the Vortex HD 5000 AB, as it would combine multiple tools, reducing the number of things I have to carry.

Guys I work with have various ranging devices. They all use the 4DOF app, so that has been our standard software. My only experience with ballistic software has been with Strelok and 4DOF, so I have never used AB.

One of the guys is a Leica fan, and they have a couple models that have 4DOF integrated.

Anybody have experience/preference comparing 4DOF with AB?

Thoughts on the Fury with AB vs a Leica model with 4DOF?

I am leaning towards the Fury because it's a binocular, and much better for observation than a monocular. My thought is AB is obviously very popular, and I'm sure I would learn it and get used to it.

My other consideration is this will be a personal purchase, so price is a factor, which favors the Fury AB.

Thanks for any and all info and opinions!

For what it's worth, some of the guys over at Rokslide have been running the Furys for a while. So far, they've held up well in extreme temps and ranging has been reliable.

This is from folks who have also tested certain Vortex scopes and documented their failures, and who also have access to alpha glass, so the praise isn't coming from fanboyism.

Personally, for hunting, where they might see some rain, cold, and bumps, I sold my Swaro EL Range (admittedly, the problem-plagued first gens) and swapped them for Furys. Going well so far. Yes, there was a drop in optical quality, but the ranging is faster, longer, and more reliable.

Not saying don't go with the Leicas ... I personally prefer Euro glass and 4DOF. Just saying that there's a few of us who aren't fans of Vortex at all who are having good experiences with the Furys. However, time will tell on the reliability side of things.

And I hadn't been tracking on the Leicas so didn't know about the 4DOF option - will be interested to see others' experiences!

Thank you for that. That is good to hear. I have run into a few people running the Furys at PRS matches, and haven't heard any complaints there. Those were non-AB models.

Been running the fury with ab for a while, and have compared AB and 4DOF a bit, for what we do not going to lose anything on either.

On the fury, 2 areas are flaws and both in the app so fixable.
1-profile only labeled as a, b, or c so no idea what profile I synced 3 months ago.
2- no manual entry of distance and environment to verify to known dope in an environment. You have to actually true your dope at the range where you can lase the target get the dope and verify to the bullet results and adjust.