• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fury 5000 vs Sig BDX 3000 vs Terrapin-X

stevenc23

Minuteman
  • Oct 21, 2013
    Denver, CO
    I was in the market for a good rangefinder and narrowed it down to 3. The Terrapin-X, the Vortex Fury 5000 and the Sig BDX 3000. Really wanted binoculars as opposed to a monocular but accurate and fast lasing was my first priority and I was skeptical that the binos would lase as well as the Terrapin.

I couldn’t find a head to head comparison so I ended up buying all 3 and ran them side by side figuring I would keep one or 2 and sell the others. My previous LRF Binos were the Leica Geovids HDR 2200. The glass was phenomenal but the laser was slow and often had difficulty ranging even moderate distances if the light was not perfect.

I put all three side-by-side and lased a variety of targets out to 4500 yards. I was impressed with all 3 units right off the bat. They were head and shoulders above the Geovids as LRFs. The Geovids absolutely have better glass but as I said my priority was fast and accurate range finding.

First I figured out where the beam was relative to the reticle on all of the units. Then I put them on tripods and starting lasing (buildings, vehicles, trees, shrubs, rocks, and street signs. Out to about 1000 yards I could find little or no difference between the 3. But as I got out past a 1000 I started to notice a small difference between the 3. The Vortex would occasional take a 2ndattempt to give a reading. As I got out further this became more common. As I continued to push the limits of the 3 I found the Sig would give readings more consistently than even the Terrapin. On some objects at 2000+ I was able to get readings from the Sig that I could not get with the Fury or the Terrapin.

I was surprised there was a difference between the Vortex and the Sig as they look identical to me except for cosmetic differences in the shell. They both have the exact same issue with loose diopter focus rings. I would be shocked if they are not the exact same under the shell except for the software and a Bluetooth chip for the Sig. But the Sig was more consistent in giving readings on difficult objects. The only explanation I can come up with is the software/algorithm used by the Sig is better. As a note all 3 units were able to lase a large reflective street sign out to 4500 yards.

Bottom line, all 3 are impressive rangefinders and don’t think you could go wrong with any of them. But the Sig did seem to edge out the Vectronix and the Vortex and I liked the AB Lite and the Bluetooth connectivity so that is the one I am keeping.

FWIW - I am a Vortex fanboy. Probably have a dozen Vortex scopes, binos and spotters

Sig BDX 3000

Pros:
    • Excellent Rangefinder – fast and longest range of the 3
    • Built in AB lite Ballistic Calculator with abilty to sync to phone or Kestrel
    • Good App
    • Good Glass
    Cons:
    • Diopters are very “loose” and easy to bump out of focus with slightest touch
    • Carry Case is not my cup of tea - No neck strap, only chest strap
    • No lens caps
    • Large Reticle and beam not centered
    Vortex Fury 5000

Pros:
    • Very Good rangefinder fast but not as consistent at longer distances as the Sig or Vectronix
    • Good Glass
    • Comes with nice carrying case and lens caps
    • Awesome Warranty that covers the electronics and rangefinder for life
    Cons:
    • No Bluetooth connectivity
    • Diopters are very “loose” and easy to bump out of focus with slightest touch (same as the Sig)
    • Large Reticle
    Vectronix Terrapin-X

Pros:
    • Excellent Rangefinder - best at hitting smaller targets on your first scan within 1500 yards
    • Small Reticle (best of the 3) and beam centered in reticle
    • Bluetooth Connectivity to connect to Kestrel or the Terrapin App
    • Good App
    Cons:
    • One button control on the unit. Hard to navigate menu from with only one button on the unit. Also sometimes when trying to lase it puts you into the menu options and then have to wait until you can lase again. (Note: You can get to all menu items via the app)

Last edited:

I'd be curious how they compare when you deal with smaller targets, stuff like steel on a t-post skylined or in front of a berm where the backstop is another 30 yards back, etc. Things closer to 1MOA in size that are inside of 1500 yards.

Thanks for posting this, I’m interested in a continued evaluation of all 3. Is there one that you “like” better as a tool?
    The sig ranges better, sure, but do you find that you like using one better than the others? Is a terrapin simpler? Is the vortex feel better in the hands/on the eyes? Or is the sig a clear winner?

I'd be curious how they compare when you deal with smaller targets, stuff like steel on a t-post skylined or in front of a berm where the backstop is another 30 yards back, etc. Things closer to 1MOA in size that are inside of 1500 yards.
    That would have been ideal but unfortunately did not have those types of targets available. But given that the beam divergence on all 3 are very close I would expect the same results. The Terrrapin was definitely the easiest to aim given its small aiming reticle and the fact that the beam was centered in the small reticle. Also what I have found is that even with higher end LRF I often end up lasing the ground at the base of the target stand to get fast accurate measurements. So while I didn't have targets to lase I did lase a lot of rocks, dirt banks, bushes and other natural terrain that I often lase instead of the actual target.
    Thanks for posting this, I’m interested in a continued evaluation of all 3. Is there one that you “like” better as a tool?
    The sig ranges better, sure, but do you find that you like using one better than the others? Is a terrapin simpler? Is the vortex feel better in the hands/on the eyes? Or is the sig a clear winner?
    Honestly no clear winner. As I stated initially I prefer binos to a monocular so it came down to the Vortex and the Sig since all 3 ranged very well. I was tempted to keep the Vortex as I am a Vortex fanboy and love the fact their lifetime warranty covers the electronics and rangefinder. But the Sig seemed to pick up targets a little better at distance and I liked the option of the AB Lite, iPhone app and the ability to link to my kestrel.

Does the sig have onboard temperature and air pressure sensors? How does it then use its onboard AB lite software?
    From DocUSMCRetired in the big Sig 3000 thread:

The BDX Devices only read range and inclination. They do not read atmospherics. You have three methods for solving this.

1) You can use the BDX App: http://appliedballisticsllc.com/products/apps/sig-sauer-bdx-app/ and pull the weather from the internet.

2) You can hand input the atmospherics you want in the app.

3) You can pair it in external mode and use the compatible external devices sensors. At this point, the BDX device is basically feeding the range in to the compatible external device and then returning the ballistics solution that device generated. Elevation, Wind, Secondary effects etc.

So I’ve owned a Terrapin X and now the Kilo 3000 binos. The sigs seem to shine here as well because with constant scan mode, you can intentionally range the berm by holding the range button down, you can scan all over the berm with a consistent reading and then cross over the small target. You will easily see the difference in distance when you locate that smaller target as opposed to the berm behind. I’ve found this very useful.

I was in the market for a good rangefinder and narrowed it down to 3. The Terrapin-X, the Vortex Fury 5000 and the Sig BDX 3000. Really wanted binoculars as opposed to a monocular but accurate and fast lasing was my first priority and I was skeptical that the binos would lase as well as the Terrapin.

I couldn’t find a head to head comparison so I ended up buying all 3 and ran them side by side figuring I would keep one or 2 and sell the others. My previous LRF Binos were the Leica Geovids HDR 2200. The glass was phenomenal but the laser was slow and often had difficulty ranging even moderate distances if the light was not perfect.

I put all three side-by-side and lased a variety of targets out to 4500 yards. I was impressed with all 3 units right off the bat. They were head and shoulders above the Geovids as LRFs. The Geovids absolutely have better glass but as I said my priority was fast and accurate range finding.

First I figured out where the beam was relative to the reticle on all of the units. Then I put them on tripods and starting lasing (buildings, vehicles, trees, shrubs, rocks, and street signs. Out to about 1000 yards I could find little or no difference between the 3. But as I got out past a 1000 I started to notice a small difference between the 3. The Vortex would occasional take a 2ndattempt to give a reading. As I got out further this became more common. As I continued to push the limits of the 3 I found the Sig would give readings more consistently than even the Terrapin. On some objects at 2000+ I was able to get readings from the Sig that I could not get with the Fury or the Terrapin.

I was surprised there was a difference between the Vortex and the Sig as they look identical to me except for cosmetic differences in the shell. They both have the exact same issue with loose diopter focus rings. I would be shocked if they are not the exact same under the shell except for the software and a Bluetooth chip for the Sig. But the Sig was more consistent in giving readings on difficult objects. The only explanation I can come up with is the software/algorithm used by the Sig is better. As a note all 3 units were able to lase a large reflective street sign out to 4500 yards.

Bottom line, all 3 are impressive rangefinders and don’t think you could go wrong with any of them. But the Sig did seem to edge out the Vectronix and the Vortex and I liked the AB Lite and the Bluetooth connectivity so that is the one I am keeping.

FWIW - I am a Vortex fanboy. Probably have a dozen Vortex scopes, binos and spotters

Sig BDX 3000

Pros:
    • Excellent Rangefinder – fast and most consistent of the 3
    • Built in AB lite Ballistic Calculator with abilty to sync to phone or Kestrel
    • Good App
    • Good Glass
    Cons:
    • Diopters are very “loose” and easy to bump out of focus with slightest touch
    • Carry Case is not my cup of tea
    • No lens caps
    • Large Reticle
    Vortex Fury 5000

Pros:
    • Very Good rangefinder but not as consistent at longer distances as the Sig or Vectronix
    • Good Glass
    • Comes with nice carrying case and lens caps
    • Awesome Warranty that covers the electronics and rangefinder for life
    Cons:
    • No Bluetooth connectivity
    • Diopters are very “loose” and easy to bump out of focus with slightest touch (same as the Sig)
    • Large Reticle
    Vectronix Terrapin-X

Pros:
    • Excellent Rangefinder
    • Small Reticle (best of the 3)
    • Bluetooth Connectivity to connect to Kestrel or the Terrapin App
    • Good App
    Cons:
    • One button control on the unit. Hard to navigate menu from with only one button on the unit. Also sometimes when trying to lase it puts you into the menu options and then have to wait until you can lase again. (Note: You can get to all menu items via the app)

Many thanks for this comparison. Direct comparisons between the sig and Vortex seem to be in short supply. What’s the difference in price?

John

Yeah just looking at specs and feature set, the Kilo3000 seem to have a unique blend of LRF performance, bluetooth connectivity, and acceptable glass quality. I don't think anyone hits all three at almost any price.

Got back from a field match that required shooters to range and dope under time. Forced me to prioritize how to improve workflow over almost all else. Thinking that a Kilo 3000 with a Garmin 701/Tempe might currently best the fastest most efficient setup out there right now (outside of say, a Wilcox Raptar S). Locate target, range target, range transmitted to Garmin 701 to compute firing solution, firing solution displays in HUD, get on rifle and dial/hold. If multiple targets, hopefully Garmin/Sig will soon allow multiple target ranges to be sent to to the Garmin range card to be displayed all at once.

I am concern about glass quality on the Kilo 3000 though. Took a look through them briefly and noticed a obvious bluish tint. Do you think the glass would be acceptable for spotting trace out to 1000?

UPDATE:

After further testing I feel as though the Terrapin-X does indeed do a better job of hitting smaller targets on your first scan. The Sig definitely picks up targets further out more consistently but it seems as if the Terrapin is more precise in hitting smaller targets. They are equally accurate as far as yardages but the Terrapin does better pinpointing targets.

According to the specs they all have very similar beam divergence so not sure why this is but that is what I found. The smaller reticle on the Terrapin is definitely helpful.

As Stag stated above, with the fast scan of the Sig and the Vortex you can scan over your target and easily see when it hits the closer target.

As I stated in my original post, I much prefer binos to a monocular so I am sticking with the Sig. But if my main criteria was ranging smaller targets out to a mile I might go with the Terrapin.

Last edited:
    Thanks for the analysis @stevenc23 , with your testing have you had the chance to test these devices and their software in cooler winter-like temperatures? Curious if you had been able to, did you notice any lag in the app or device?

Thanks

Reactions: WI_Hedgehog
    For what its worth, my Vortex fury 5000 do not have loose diopter rings, there is good tension there

Reactions: Saracen
    Thanks for the analysis @stevenc23 , with your testing have you had the chance to test these devices and their software in cooler winter-like temperatures? Curious if you had been able to, did you notice any lag in the app or device?

Thanks
    I did not test in cooler temps. Doubt there would be much difference but can't say for sure.

I did not test in cooler temps. Doubt there would be much difference but can't say for sure.

thank you, as you mentioned youre sticking with the Sig. Any worry with only having the 5 year electronics warranty? Based on your review you dont feel like you lost performance going with the Sig over the Terrapin?

Having used both the Terp and the sig in a blizzard/CAF temps, both worked fine...

Im giving the edge to the Sig only because its a bino instead of monoc, which is why I am selling the terp. LRF edge goes to terp. Need the binos and hate double carrying.

DT

Been using the Vortex 5000 and am really impressed overall. The warranty with Vortex was a huge selling point.
    My only complaint with all of these is I wish they would take the time to center the reticle or at least make them much smaller. The big circle/square thing I don't like.

Thanks for the solid comparison. As someone who does not own binos for hunting, nor a LRF, this has been on my mind with trying to combine functions to save what I have to carry and purchase.

My main concern is now really glass quality. After being loaned Swaro 15x’s to RO a match...I’ve been spoiled and felt like I had super vision. I obviously can’t expect the same quality, but running NF and Razor gen II scopes, will I be disappointed when looking through the Sigs?

Wish you had compared the signal on meat since not many people eat road signs and such. Could have even used a large dog on a leash.
    Don't think there would be much difference in the final conclusions. Although I didn't lase any animals I did lase many different objects with different reflectivity and color. All of rangefinders are more than capable of lasing any decent size critter at a range that most would engage.

But the more info the better so I encourage you to buy all 3 and let us know the results ;)

Hm I keep coming back to the 3000BDX to pair with my 701 as a ultimate PRS field match setup....

Reactions: Wildfire1550
    you can intentionally range the berm by holding the range button down, you can scan all over the berm with a consistent reading and then cross over the small target. You will easily see the difference in distance when you locate that smaller target as opposed to the berm behind. I’ve found this very useful.

This is exactly what I do with my Fury at long range, it’s incredibly easy to tell which object you’re actually ranging when you can sweep across your target and see the numbers change in real time.

Reactions: Jknox1030

Since this thread was brought back from the dead, I'm going to take a second to give a huge thumbs up to this post from Sheldon. In every LRF review/post on this site that I respond to, I always say the exact same thing Sheldon wrote. Everyone takes their LRF out of the box and they're always in awe of how far they can range a water tower, house, or other 15000 MOA-sized target. Hooray! Your LRF can range an insanely reflective steel water tower at 2500 yards. Now try that with a regular IPSC at 922 that's been shot to hell with vegetation surrounding it, or an 18" circle at 1248 yards when the backstop is 1260 to 1263, or a 1/2 IPSC skylined on a t-post.

Edit: speaking from my own experiences, I went through a few LRF because of what I mentioned. I've gone through 6 or 7 of the small handheld models and I found the Vortex 4000 does a really great job of giving me repeatable ranges on those smaller targets out to 2400 yards, which is the furthest I've used it. I know it has an ELR mode that extends the distance, but I haven't played around with it. For the integrated binos, I have the Sig 3000 BDX and it's performed extremely well.

Last edited:
    What I'm curious is if the Terrapin is better in light fog/mist than the Kilo 3000s? I have a set of K3000s and they've been great, even in the rain. Where they seriously stumble is when you get fog or mist, not so thick that you can't see through but there (we get a lot of valley fog here this time of year). I'm curious if the Terrapin is better? Or is that something all LRFs would have trouble in? Have to step up to a PLRF?