• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Future of 6.8 SPC??

rcr

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 15, 2008
Seattle
www.esurgeon.com
Where is the 6.8 SPC going? Any thoughts? Will it be the next caliber the military bases their rifles on or is it going to fade away?

Re: Future of 6.8 SPC??

Unless the varmint or BR community embrace it for some reason I have a feeling it's going the way of the Buffalo. It's a niche market and as military needs wax and wane the case will fall out of favor.

I doubt that the military is going to adopt it any time soon because of the incredible expense at changing from the 223 now. It's relegated to special situation uses IMHO.

I keep coming back to the idea that it's a solution to a non-problem. Pretty good idea, but a little bit of determined market research prior to the development would probably have caused it to be stillborn. Facts are, .223 is still shouldering the load with very little signs of tripping up.

Greg

I like the idea of a round with a little more punch than the 5.56 in an AR platform ..... upper and mag change away.

Been considering both the 6.8 SPC and 6.5 Grendel. I am leaning towards the Grendel because of the 6.5mm ballistics as well as I can use AK cases to form rounds if necessary. I'd like 6.8 more if it becomes more standardized in the military.

6.8 is DOA. As a hunting round the new Rem 30 AR pushing a 125 gr bullet at 2800 fps has the 6.8 beat by a long shot. As a military round the 6.8 would probably have been a better choice than the 5.56 back in 1964, but too late for that now!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MrPink</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like the idea of a round with a little more punch than the 5.56 in an AR platform ..... upper and mag change away.

Been considering both the 6.8 SPC and 6.5 Grendel. I am leaning towards the Grendel because of the 6.5mm ballistics as well as I can use AK cases to form rounds if necessary. I'd like 6.8 more if it becomes more standardized in the military. </div></div>
The 6.8 round is great for CQB, which is what is was designed for. But for a longer range application, I agree that the 6.5, and other calibers, are better suited for the AR platform.

I bought the last of the 6.8 ammo here in town. Capital has stopped carrying it, I believe.

As noted, 6.5 Grendel has more flexibility and can be easily formed from 7.62x39. 6.8 brass requires more advanced forming from 30 Rem brass.

I have a rifle in 6.8 SPC and feel that it is a great round in the AR platform. I have had a lot of fun shooting steel plates out to 500 yards with it and it has proved to be pretty accurate out of a 16" barreled AR. Of course, I could be wrong but I certainly hope that it is not DOA or dying.

6.8 SPC is flatlining.

Remington just came out with the new Rem 30 AR as mentioned above. If they seriously wanted to SPC to stay they would have just necked it to .30 cal. Wildcatters will neck the new brass to 6.5, more bullets, and 6mm, more fun, and probably .22, more redundancy.

The .270 caliber has always lacked bullets. The only reason to build a .270 Win vs. a .280 Rem was so you could shoot you dad's ammo.

DC

For the guys that are saying it is dead, you may want to contact SSA and ask them how much ammo they still sell. It isn't dead by any means and it isn't going away any time soon. It makes a great hunting round out of an AR.

Seems a couple posters have mentioned the Remington .30AR. I see a lot more rifles for sale in 6.8SPC than I do in .30Rem. I'd say looks like the 6.8 will be around for awhile. Don't know if the military will give it any serious consideration. If they ever decide to replace the 5.56, they'll probably spend billions designing a whole new cartridge.

i have a mark 12 mod 0 i pulled the trigger on because it was a 6.8. i think it will be around for a while.

There is an account that I read a guy shot a Elk at 375 yards with a 6.8 SPC. I would recommend going over to http://68forums.com/forums/forum.php and checking out the info there. There is more info there then anywhere else. I own one and love it. I can get the hornady for 20.00 dollars a box all day long and thats not bad for a odd ball caliber. Mine shoots the 115 SMK sub MOA all day with the right load of powder. The 6.8 caliber is here to stay a while longer.

Aron-

I used one the entire deer season and shoulder dropped enough deer to make me a believer. I used factory ssa tipped with sierra pro hunters. I had blast with it. I had never hunted with such a comfortable weapon. I'm so used to handling that platform that it's great to walk and have in the blind with you. Off the hood of the jeep or off hand. It was just fun. I have a gun at GAP that I plan to replace it with. It won't be easy.

534b46b7.png

This was done with a 6.8....it's a keeper for me!

Shit bro that crazy what was the recipe for this shot?

Aron-

Damn, an ass shot. Is that the exit? What bullet/ammunition did you use on that Porker?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nostradumbass</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
534b46b7.png

This was done with a 6.8....it's a keeper for me!</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: winxp_man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shit bro that crazy what was the recipe for this shot?

Aron-</div></div>

I stitched that hog running across in front of me at about 10yds....hit it about four times but that last round just blew out her ham!! I was shooting hornady Vmax bullets with hodgon benchmark powder.
That was the most explosive exit wound I've ever made, those vmax's are the bees knees.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nostradumbass</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: winxp_man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shit bro that crazy what was the recipe for this shot?

Aron-</div></div>

...those vmax's are the bees knees. </div></div>

well they may be the bees knees but they appear to be the pigs' butt cheek busters too!

I have an AR in 6.8, and it really shines in short barrel rifles and with handloads. There are some companies making more powerful ammo now like Wilson and maybe one other that I can't recall. I have only ever shot handloads through mine though so I don't have much experience with factory ammo.

I personally think it is a good caliber for what it is designed for and some time later down the road I am going to cut the barrel down on mine when it is legal.

I think it will keep going for the handloading community, but I don't know about the military.

Edit: I would not really bother with it in a bolt gun.

The 6.8mm is my main stay in hunting deer in the East Coast mountains where shots under 100 yards in the brush are normal. The round has never let me down. I load 95 GR Barnes TTSX and have never lost a deer. For what I do hunting I couldn't ask for a better round. As far as it dying, I doubt it completely because a lot of people are users of the round. I am sure it will never be accepted totally by the AR community as we/they are always looking for the next greatest thing. I just like the fact that i take the 5.56 off and put on the 6.8mm and take it hunting. That works great for my needs.

Great in an AR if you handload as one day I bet the ammo will be hard to come buy, I had an upper and liked it but sold it.

Why bother with a 6.8 bolt gun unless you were going to do an ultra light rig with one of the mini 223 size actions like the MkX Mini Mauser or CZ Mini Mauser.

Otherwise if you go with a standard SA there many more versatile and accurate rounds out there. Z

Some time back, folk were lamenting the .260 going flatline.

A tencious following can work wonders.

I use the 6.8 as the base for my 6mm SPC coyote rifle. Quite a number of folks in the area are now using it for their coyote rifles too after seeing how well it performed in my number one critter gitter. I like it quite well for this purpose and it is exceedingly accurate out of my rifle and does a very nice job on the predators. I don't foresee myself ever owning the 6.8 SPC though.

The 6.8 isn't going anywhere for a good while. The ballistics are excellent for what the cartridge was developed for, which is intermediate range shooting. Rumors have been perpetuated of the calibers demise by fans of other calibers.

If you want a 6.8 my recommendation would be to stick with the AR platform instead of a bolt gun.

The 68 is a great round for hunting. It also is very accurate in a bolt gun. If it is going away how come all of the bullet manufacturer keep making new bullets for this round?

It makes a great youth round. My buddy has an Encore Contentder G2 in 6.8. Super light and low recoil. the .277/6.8 bullet market has exploded recently with light-for-caliber bullets.

100 and 110 Accubonds
110 Sierra GK and 90 varminter
115 sierra MK
95 and 110 Barnes TTSX
85 and 110 TSX
hornady, speer, remington, etc...

amazing how so many offer an opinion but have very little actual knowledge of the round.

2nd most common caliber for ar platform
every major manufactuer has a 6.8 line
many different brands of ammo
newer and better bc bullets keep hitting the mkt
becoming the number 1 hunting caliber

at 200yds, more energy than a .223 at muzzle

etc, etc, etc.....

check out 68forums and see how many industry sponsors keep getting added to the rolls.

6.8 is not going anywhere and definitely not dead or dieing like the grendel

The grendel is not dying either.

I have one and like it. Don't see me selling it.

To me it is a great round and staying in my gear.

I really dont see the military opting to make that transition.

The govt's broke, period. Maybe when we get back on track, we might revamp our combat caliber.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alderleet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I really dont see the military opting to make that transition.

The govt's broke, period. Maybe when we get back on track, we might revamp our combat caliber.</div></div> I am sure you are correct but there are lots of rounds the military don't use that are used by the civilian community. The 6.8mm is just a great alternative for some hunters to use and take the 223 upper off and pit n the 6.8mm and go. Within its intended purpose, short range under 400 yards, it is a great round.