• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Future of Remington's 5R

cox308

BAMF
Minuteman
Nov 24, 2011
United States, Hawaii
Does anyone know if this rifle is a limited run or if Remington has or is going to stop making them?? I just just picked one up in 308 and was wondering if I should grab a 300wm before they're gone...

Re: Future of Remington's 5R

My understanding is Remington makes them for one distributer, as long as that distributer keeps buying them they will continue. Just wish one distributer would request big green to make a similar 8-8.5 twist 6.5 creedmoor or 260...

They won't stop making them because the Government buys M24s. http://www.remingtonle.com/rifles/m24.htm

The 5R's barrel is the same as the M24, but essentially they are the barrels that get finished once the bore machine gets worn down. The differences between the M24 SWS and the 5R Mil-spec are the calibers available (M24 doesn't have .308), and the M24 SWS comes with a Leupold scope and mount, two cases, tools, etc. as a full package to LE. The barrel is essentially the same, the stock is the same, the action is the same.

As long as they make M24s for LE, they'll make 5Rs from the "cast-off" barrels that still pass their quality tests.

Edit: The barrel contours might be different. "The [5R's] contour is the same as the normal Remington heavy barrel contour found on their 700P's, varmint rifles, and others. The M24 has a much heavier contour, similar to a #8 or so, so that is a noticeable difference." (http://www.snipercentral.com/milspec5r.phtml)

That being said, the stocks are both HS Precision stocks, just technically different to match the different contours on the barrels.

Buy, Buy, Buy. Just my thoughts. When is it a Bad time to get another gun? When they're gone? I've "held off", and missed some nice buys. But , I've had a "few". You can ignore the thought.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Equitum</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They won't stop making them because the Government buys M24s. http://www.remingtonle.com/rifles/m24.htm

The 5R's barrel is the same as the M24, but essentially they are the barrels that get finished once the bore machine gets worn down. The differences between the M24 SWS and the 5R Mil-spec are the calibers available (M24 doesn't have .308), and the M24 SWS comes with a Leupold scope and mount, two cases, tools, etc. as a full package to LE. The barrel is essentially the same, the stock is the same, the action is the same.

As long as they make M24s for LE, they'll make 5Rs from the "cast-off" barrels that still pass their quality tests.

Edit: The barrel contours might be different. "The [5R's] contour is the same as the normal Remington heavy barrel contour found on their 700P's, varmint rifles, and others. The M24 has a much heavier contour, similar to a #8 or so, so that is a noticeable difference." (http://www.snipercentral.com/milspec5r.phtml)

That being said, the stocks are both HS Precision stocks, just technically different to match the different contours on the barrels. </div></div>

A lot of urban legend going on here.

The 5R uses new production barrels, made on the same rifling machinery as the M24. The 5R barrels are not seconds or M24 rejects. They are made specifically for this rifle.

Although made by the same company, the 5R and the M24 use different stocks. The triggers are different, and the receivers are different.

About the only thing a 5R shares with the M24 is the machine that did the rifling.

Here's a link with specs for the M24...

http://www.remingtonmilitary.com/Firearms/Sniper%20Rifles/M24.aspx

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Equitum</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The differences between the M24 SWS and the 5R Mil-spec are the calibers available (M24 doesn't have .308),</div></div>
I've never fired a M24 that wasn't a .308.

why is there such a big secret and myth about this thing. it seems that no one really knows what it is. (military reject that was retooled for us, or just a gun that they make?)

i have one in .308 and would like to give an honest answer to people who ask about it.

the conversation usually goes:

what is it?

it is a rem 700 5R mil-spec.

what is that?

well, it depends on who you ask. you can't find it in a catalog or on the rem website. your local dealer can't just call up and order it for you...

can ANYONE give some insight?

[/quote] The 5R uses new production barrels, made on the same rifling machinery as the M24. The 5R barrels are not seconds or M24 rejects. They are made specifically for this rifle.
[/quote]

I was told the exact same thing from the owner of the gun store i bought my 5R from (snipercountrypx).

Equitum- you are wrong on multiple points.

The 5R barrels are a different contour than M24 barrels. If they were rejected M24 barrels they would be the same contour as no body I am aware of re-contours a barrel after it is rifled.

98% of M24s are .308/7.62x51mm but are built on a long action to be converted to .300WM if need be. I have only seen a couple that have been converted. 5Rs are built on short actions when in .308 I believe.

You mention LE being the reason M24s are still made and I am not aware of any LE agencies having them. I suppose they could but LE usually uses a PSS variant. M24s are Military as far as I know.

The stocks are most definitely different as the M24s is adjustable for length of pull.

M24s also have a provision to attach iron sights front and rear, and a 40x trigger.

You were right about them coming with a lot of extra kit and boxes though. Pat yourself on the back for that...

so, is it a high production rifle for normal people?

kinda like a "production model" of a race bike? like honda CBR600RR you buy at the dealership, or the one that the factory teams get that no one else can get (being the M24)?

I used to work for Scheels in the Midwest. Just before Acusport started selling the 5r they sent out a letter to there larger dealer informing of there special make for a pre order. I still remember it and when I ordered my first one. That letter said nothing about it using M24 barrels only that it had 5R rifling like the M24.
It used to be if you could order 1000 rifle Big Green would make what you wanted. An example would be the Mtn Guide guns that Cabelas and Gander Mtn sold. Basicly it was a Mtn Rife with the 700 TI stock on it.
I don't know why someone doesnt do a run of 5R 260 or Creedmores. Id Buy one!

I'm taking my information from http://www.snipercentral.com/milspec5r.phtml , which says (and I didn't differentiate) that the origin story of the 5R was that the M24 barrels had to meet a certain quality standard and the barrels that weren't weren't used until one day someone realized the waste and decided to take the "cast-off" M24 barrels and recontour them to the heavy Varmint style contour.

I read a little more, and the stocks are different, both HS Precision, however.

In regards to the offered calibers, all I've seen for 5R is .308 (so far), and the Remington LE website only mentions 7.62 Nato & 300 Win Mag.

When it comes to who buys them, I said the government bought them then later mentioned LE buying them. That was probably more of a projection from seeing the M24s on the Remington LE website, but it does mention that some SWAT teams use them.

I probably have misconceptions still about the differences between the 5R and the M24, but, honestly, it doesn't really matter, because that's not what the thread is about. I don't want to get in a flame war or anything resembling it- I just wanted to offer my view on whether the 5R will still be around for years to come, which was based on the story I heard about the origin of the 5R. It's probably different now and the 5R are built specifically from their own barrels while using the same tooling as the M24, but there's no real reason for Remington to stop making the 5Rs.

My head hurts.
Why rehash it time and time again.
It is what it is so be it.
Get on with life Please.....

Down the street I can buy a 5R in either .308 Win or .300 Win Mag. The 308 is built on a short action and (obviously) the 300 is built on a long action. I don't see the point, though.

Those heavy barrels aren't single point cut rifled barrels, are they? The action hasn't been trued either. Seems like a lot of money for a less than stellar imitation of something else that isn't that good to begin with.

Buy a custom, one piece at a time if you have to. Or simply recognize what level of quality the Remington 5R rifle is and not try to make it something its not.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Thud</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My head hurts.
Why rehash it time and time again.
It is what it is so be it.
Get on with life Please..... </div></div>
That is what I meant to say ...
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ranger1183</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Down the street I can buy a 5R in either .308 Win or .300 Win Mag. The 308 is built on a short action and (obviously) the 300 is built on a long action. I don't see the point, though.

Those heavy barrels aren't single point cut rifled barrels, are they? The action hasn't been trued either. Seems like a lot of money for a less than stellar imitation of something else that isn't that good to begin with.

Buy a custom, one piece at a time if you have to. Or simply recognize what level of quality the Remington 5R rifle is and not try to make it something its not.</div></div>

If you ask me, they don't shoot so bad for an off the shelf rifle. When I first started out, I was reluctant to take spend the money for a $4K Surgeon. To each his own, but the results speak for themselves as my wife clearly shows:

Yvi308R7005R.jpg

That was just starting out. It does even better with ~ 42.5 gr of Varget and a 1.5 lb Timney trigger.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Niles Coyote</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My understanding is Remington makes them for one distributer, as long as that distributer keeps buying them they will continue. Just wish one distributer would request big green to make a similar 8-8.5 twist 6.5 creedmoor or 260... </div></div>

I wonder why Remington has not made a .260 factory in a tacticool style rifle. My guess is that while a bunch of people here on the Hide would buy one we are a small minority and so it doesn't make financial sense for them to make it.

Another M24 myth stated here AGAIN, M24's DO NOT have a 40X trigger, they are M24 triggers, made specifically for the M24 and are quite different than a 40x.

Red6actual,

You are correct, they are called SWS triggers designed and built for the M24 and the M2010 - they are pricey if you can get your hands on one.......

Fair enough. Funny how it is an Army weapon system and they are misinformed about it.

We need to completely eliminate the 5r/M24 comparison. They are completely different rifles. The Remington 5r is nothing more than a standard stainless remington 700 action with a hammer forged 5r rifled varmint/sendero taper barrel in an HS Precision stock.

I'm not aware of anything special done in the manufacturing process, or if the parts are hand picked, but when I compare the action on my 5r to a J lock SS BDL action from around 10 years ago, the 5r is the nicer of the two actions in fit and finish.

I ended up paying $775 for a lightly used 300 WM 5r built in April 2011. I know I couldn't have built a better Rem 700 for the money I paid. Mine shoots really well. I don't think they will be going anywhere as long as people keep buying them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scottx88</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Actually they use an M24 Trigger.
Guns587.jpg

</div></div>

This is awesome, I had never seen an M24 Trigger before

Thanks!
laugh.gif