• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Future US Service Rifle

ESSAYONS

Private
Minuteman
May 4, 2010
Dallas, Texas
I have been shopping for a carbine but would like to know what the consensus is for the M4 replacement- as I may wait for the civilian version to hit the open market (whatever it is). From the link below it seems that the Colt contract is up and a new replacement is in the works- to include a gas piston system. I realize the SCAR is already in...but it will be very interesting to see what the LWRC submission is. (see article)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M4_carbine

Any thoughts on what the new battle rifle will look like? Realizing this is geuss work at this point.

Re: Future US Service Rifle

In today's economy, I don't see a change in weapon (rifle) systems.

not happening...they talk about changing weapon systems every couple years.

"if it's not broke don't fix it." Someday I believe, but not anytime soon... but who knows.

If you get the "Army Times" their cover story is "New weapon system" (or worded slightly different) about every 5-6 weeks for the past 10 years. Fact is, I don't see them changing over from the M-4 for a loooooong time. Personally I like the M-4. For what it is, it serves us well. I'd like to see it piston operated but when has the military ever listened to me
wink.gif

If there is any sort of replacement, I foresee it being something like a complete upper receiver change out. That said, I doubt it's coming anytime soon.

+1 on everyone else's comments. There is always "talk" of a new, improved, super-lightweight, super-accurate, super-portable, super-reliable, super-lethal, super-etc., etc., etc. weapons system...but it is just that: TALK.

I wouldn't bet on anything new in the immediate future.

They don't need to change the rifle at this point like was stated, but they should change the standard ammo.

Mk262 should be standard. 77grain.

I heard from this guy who is so deep into the “I can’t speak of that” spoke about how they are really going to start to use some special laser rifles that can shoot an egg size target out to three thousand yards. On top of that it is ran by nuclear energy and only weighs as much as a dollar bill. And if anyone thinks this is serious sorry for the misleading information, I agree with the ammo change not the weapon also.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strangedays</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I heard from this guy who is so deep into the “I can’t speak of that” spoke about how they are really going to start to use some special laser rifles that can shoot an egg size target out to three thousand yards. On top of that it is ran by nuclear energy and only weighs as much as a dollar bill. And if anyone thinks this is serious sorry for the misleading information, I agree with the ammo change not the weapon also. </div></div>

you had me until right... <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strangedays</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And if anyone thinks this is serious sorry for the misleading information</div></div>
there.

I don't think we will see a change from the M4 service wide for many years. I think the change we should make is to supplement the M4 as the British have with a 7.62 DM rifle on the AR platform. The need is recognized and the current dusting off and improving the M14 platform is a step in the right direction, but I don't see it as a long term solution. The 5.56 DM rifles are not the answer. The 5.56 has been developed to the point that its long range accuracy allows it to write checks that it's terminal ballistics can't cash. Yes you can hit a 1000 yard target with a properly set up 5.56 but with the energy levels of a 380 acp pocket pistol.

Infantry sqauds all have an SDM now with a M14.

I know because I had one, had 118LR too. Was a good setup.

The change would be possible at a decent price if they really only changed over infantry units rifles. No need for every swinging dick at the big fobs and all to have some fancy rifle and never even know the need for it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SANDRAT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Remember the 6.8mm SPC ?......................... </div></div>

sure made .223 amo cheep, at least for a little while

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Standish</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Infantry sqauds all have an SDM now with a M14.

I know because I had one, had 118LR too. Was a good setup. </div></div>
Thank you for your service.
That is a step in the right direction. They are making the best of what is currently available. But there is a finite number of M14 available and the difficulties of training and support have been discussed here in the past. A lighter rifle with controls and ergonomics similar to the issued rifle would make support and training more practical. It would also not make the SDM stand out from his fellow troops as much when under observation.

How much training did you get as a SDM?

I think they ought to make a new version of the M4 carbine.

KAC E3 bolt
13" long .675 dia. cold hammer forged nitrided barrel
New ammunition.
10" LaRue rail, low profile gas block, Troy sights
integral trigger guard, auto FCG
three inch suppressor attached with a taper pin so Joe can't lose it.
No provision for a forward assist.

It would be the length and weight of an M4 carbine but have significantly reduced signature, longer component life and be more accurate.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RyanScott</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
KAC E3 bolt
13" long .675 dia. cold hammer forged nitrided barrel
New ammunition.
10" LaRue rail, low profile gas block, Troy sights
integral trigger guard, auto FCG
three inch suppressor attached with a taper pin so Joe can't lose it.
No provision for a forward assist.</div></div>

And you decided all this based on what experience?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

And you decided all this based on what experience?</div></div>

He slept at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

No I am not chasing the military cool factor...just try to keep up with what they issue me on my own time...lots of practice-although sometimes you would never know it. The M14's that were in service when I was over the pond in B'dad were far older than the 19 year old corporals carrying them- but make no mistake when on the perimter they preferred the M14 platform over the M4. Street and door work was all M4 or 870 territory.

I stopped by a local gun store the other day and looked at the LWRC M6A2...nice rifle and nice price....get what you pay for.

I think the rifle is fine for the time being.

If anything, they should replace the pistols first. The m9 sucks so bad.

A 7.62 rifle would be a nice replacement for the 5.56.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KMCM110</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A 7.62 rifle would be a nice replacement for the 5.56. </div></div>

I'm for a larger caliber than .22, but I'm not sure a .30 is needed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strangedays</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I heard from this guy who is so deep into the “I can’t speak of that” spoke about how they are really going to start to use some special laser rifles that can shoot an egg size target out to three thousand yards. On top of that it is ran by nuclear energy and only weighs as much as a dollar bill. And if anyone thinks this is serious sorry for the misleading information, I agree with the ammo change not the weapon also. </div></div>

And I was just going to ask what the civi-version was going to cost

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KMCM110</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A 7.62 rifle would be a nice replacement for the 5.56. </div></div>
I would not like to see our guys running out of ammo in these fire fights becouse they couldn't carry as much. I have both and know the extra space the 7.62 takes up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alderleet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think the rifle is fine for the time being.

If anything, they should replace the pistols first. The m9 sucks so bad. </div></div>
1+ get those m9s out of there. Most of the SF guys I know carried glock 10mm. They always made jokes about how their tritium sights were a happy face glowing at the thought of clearing rooms.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Standish</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They don't need to change the rifle at this point like was stated, but they should change the standard ammo.

Mk262 should be standard. 77grain. </div></div>

They just did, few months ago. New is M855A1

You are correct this months issue of Army Times has a big write up that over the next few years the M4 is out- at least in the current configuration. It seems August has set off a invite for RFP's for new rifles next spring with the earliest fielding of the new weapon in 2012 or later. Very interesting article. Reliability, not having enough knock down power are just a couple reasons cited for the change. They also mentioned that the new system may be gas piston and have interchangeable barrels (length-not caliber).

Gee sounds a lot like the old XM8 program... Barrels could be changed at the unit level to adapt to specific missions, caliber could be changed by adding a different magazine well, bolt and barrel. Hmmmm maybe it's time to buy stock in H&K.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strangedays</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KMCM110</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A 7.62 rifle would be a nice replacement for the 5.56. </div></div>
I would not like to see our guys running out of ammo in these fire fights becouse they couldn't carry as much. I have both and know the extra space the 7.62 takes up. </div></div>

I love my COLT, but a 7.62 would be my choice, if I had to make one.

are you sure the new rifle is not a plasma rifle in the 40 watt range?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EBRbuilder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gee sounds a lot like the old XM8 program... Barrels could be changed at the unit level to adapt to specific missions, caliber could be changed by adding a different magazine well, bolt and barrel. <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #FF0000">Hmmmm maybe it's time to buy stock in H&K</span>. </div></div></span>

Good luck with that.
grin.gif

Private company and all.

Also I think the ACR has a whole lot of potential going for it.

The SCAR light has been dropped by SOCOM for now. The M4 will be here to stay for a while longer. As others have said, there is nothing but speculation for a permanent replacement.

Bottom line is that you have a lot of choices and nothing is perfect. Figure out A: What you want it for and B: How much you are willing to spend. Once you have that figured out, you can go about selecting the best system to get it done.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TalonArms_R</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The SCAR light has been dropped by SOCOM for now. The M4 will be here to stay for a while longer. As others have said, there is nothing but speculation for a permanent replacement.

Bottom line is that you have a lot of choices and nothing is perfect. Figure out A: What you want it for and B: How much you are willing to spend. Once you have that figured out, you can go about selecting the best system to get it done. </div></div>

Ya but they are picking up the SCAR heavy instead