• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

FYI & a few thoughts on cleaning (specifically a Vudoo)

jbell

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Jan 16, 2010
    Lewiston, ME
    This is just an observation/ opinion thread with a little heads up info...

For many years I have been cleaning all my rimfire rifles with a Dewey nylon coated 20 cal rod and VFG felts. I have always been happy with the results using the felts and feel they are superior to a patch (IMO they fit the bore a bit snugger, have more cleaning / contact area with the bore, conform to the land and groves better than a patch: think get into the corners, and most importantly they help center the rod in the bore).

I was an early user / owner of a Vudoo V-22 (early Gen 1 rifle) and I purchased one of VGW's bore guides. I have owned a small truck load of various bore guides over the years from very cheap to very nice and IMO the aluminum VGW bore guide was one of the very best I have seen. It fit the Gen 1action perfect and incorporated an insert that was a very close fit to the 20 cal Dewey rod, which in my opinion is a requirement for any bore guide. If you can push a patch / brush through the initial rear opening of the bore guide then it's not doing much other than keeping solvent out of the action.

So on to the point. My Dewey rod was getting long in the tooth so I ordered a Bore Tech proof positive 22 rimfire rod because I have a few of their of their larger diameter rods and like them a lot. Bore Tech claims a diameter of 0.195" for this rod where my Dewey was 0.185" in diameter. I found the Bore Tech would not fit in the rod guide for my Vudoo bore guide. I measured the Bore Tech rod and found it was slightly larger than spec and somewhat inconsistent in diameter not a big deal, just a few thousands. But in my opinion a rod needs to be very close in diameter to the insert for the bore guide. Here is the Bore Tech rod measured in the same place just 180 degree apart:

IMG_20210306_070821452.jpg

IMG_20210306_070804924.jpg

So you can see there is a 0.0045" difference in that one spot, again not a big deal but too large for the Vudoo guide. I used a 13/64 (0.203") bit to open the bore of the insert. It was still too snug in a few spots, just could feel some drag. So I took a old 22 cal brass brush and some Flitz and honed the insert to a perfect fit, no slop but no drag. Now with this guide and a felt my rod is as centered and supported as possible in the bore.

A little more about the original Vudoo bore guide. It was designed for and fits in the Gen 1 action. It will not fit in the Gen 2 without a little modification. You need to remove the screw that locks it in the action and cut a relief for the bolt guide in the action. I did this with a die grinder and roll lock disc. I simply cut a flat on the guide as you can see in the picture (it fits perfectly in the action now):
    IMG_20210306_070638405.jpg

IMG_20210306_070539644.jpg

Last is the VFG felt. One thing to know about using it with the Vudoo action (and others I'm sure) is that it can snag on the ejector. A very simple and effective solution is to insert the felt on the jag (either just over the smooth section for a single pass, or threaded on for working the throat) and twisting the leading edge in your fingers to point it slightly. Here is the felt as they come out of the package:
    IMG_20210306_071922420.jpg

And here it is after I point it:
    IMG_20210306_071935693.jpg

And pointed but threaded on the jag:
    IMG_20210306_073056489.jpg

One more thing to note about the VFG felts is that you really need to reduce the OD of the jag so that it matches the rod diameter. They are fairly large when they are new. You can see in my pictures that the jag is the same diameter as my rod. I did this by chucking it up in a drill and using sandpaper until it's the desired diameter, very quick and simple.

I was cleaning my Vudoo's this morning and thought I would pass this along in the hopes it may be useful to someone. I'm not saying this is the end all be all for cleaning, it's just what works for me.

Last edited:
    Thanks for the information. I also highly recommend the VG felts although I mainly use mine for chamber cleaning and removal the carbon band build up.

Since I have 17 HMR's and HM2'sI use a .17 Cal Dewey coated rod. Another great fit is the Parker Hale jag wrapped with a 1 1/8" Pro-Shot square patches.

Reactions: nikonNUT and jbell
    Thanks Jesse! I have to get some of those VFG felts and a jag that is threaded for them

@jbell I have been a fan of the VFG Felts. I do not use a rod though normally. I use them on a patchworm. I just think the plastic weedeater string is even safer than the rod. My rod like yours is coated and if i do use it, I make sure too push it thru, then unscrew everything, pull the rod out then put everything back on for the next push. All that being said, I might be having some cleaning issues, I have a bore camera on the way to see if my way of doing things might be letting me down. Have you tried the pellets on the patchworm? It's a nice easy set up and I hope my bore camera doesn't reveal that i have to change.

@jbell I have been a fan of the VFG Felts. I do not use a rod though normally. I use them on a patchworm. I just think the plastic weedeater string is even safer than the rod. My rod like yours is coated and if i do use it, I make sure too push it thru, then unscrew everything, pull the rod out then put everything back on for the next push. All that being said, I might be having some cleaning issues, I have a bore camera on the way to see if my way of doing things might be letting me down. Have you tried the pellets on the patchworm? It's a nice easy set up and I hope my bore camera doesn't reveal that i have to change.
    I like the weedeater method too. I hope you'll post your results after looking at the bore with your new camera

I have the same rod. Any concerns with the steel tip? Not sure why they make their rimfire rod proof positive.

I have used the weed eater string pull through before but only with patches. I haven't tried it with the felts. I kinda like the idea of the jag in the felt supporting the felt keeping it tight in the bore.

What has you thinking you are having cleaning issues?

I have used the weed eater string pull through before but only with patches. I haven't tried it with the felts. I kinda like the idea of the jag in the felt supporting the felt keeping it tight in the bore.

What has you thinking you are having cleaning issues?
    I sent you a PM.

This is the .22 rod I have

Have you used that rod in a rimfire? I ask because it is 0.208” in diameter and if it is slightly oversized then it may be kinda snug in the bore. Most rimfire barrels have a bore diameter of right at 0.217”. It may be fine, but I would go easy the first time or two just to be safe. But that rod you would need that thread adapter I linked to use that jag I linked.

Reactions: nikonNUT
    Have you used that rod in a rimfire? I ask because it is 0.208” in diameter and if it is slightly oversized then it may be kinda snug in the bore. Most rimfire barrels have a bore diameter of right at 0.217”. It may be fine, but I would go easy the first time or two just to be safe. But that rod you would need that thread adapter I linked to use that jag I linked.
    I asked Mike Bush about it and he said he uses the exact same rod, so I'll see. It was originally purchased for use on a .223 rifle
    And your right, the links you gave are what I will buy

Cool, I’m sure it will be fine. I think you will like the felts. Let us know what you think.

You need one long enough so that the jag end comes out of the muzzle and the other end will clear your stock so you can keep it straight. Does that make sense? Too short and your running the handle into the top of your stock or cheek riser