• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes FYI - Bushnell FFP Mil Reticle Spotter

Re: FYI - Bushnell FFP Mil Reticle Spotter

Sales of this are resting on a no BS review, can't wait.

I was able to look through the non tactical version yesterday, mind you it was very quick. But I was initally impressed. For the money ($379.00), it outshines the competition.

It was a little bigger than I expected. Not too big or heavy that I wouldnt pack it. Just not compact. To me it was very clear and bright on low power, clear to the edges but lost some brightness at 45X (expected). The eye relief was better than good, not incredible. The eyepiece and focus adjustments had just the right amount of tension on them, just enough to stay where you put them but not enough to be a pain. Built in sun shade and armored were a plus.

In the end, I left thinking that this would be great for use in the 15-30 power ranges. We get a lot of mirage here in Utah. I will buy one when I can get my hands on the tactical version.

Scott

go here for your needed enhancement and maybe you too can get a Bushnell FFP spotter

http://www.enzyte.com/
grin.gif

LOL! Yup, and I'll change my name to "Smilin' Bob"....
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hank440</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Scott

go here for your needed enhancement and maybe you too can get a Bushnell FFP spotter

http://www.enzyte.com/
grin.gif
</div></div>

So Scott, is the the spotter that you're including with the purchase of a Premier scope? Didn't realize it was an FFP. Nice surprise!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hazardus</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So Scott, is the the spotter that you're including with the purchase of a Premier scope? Didn't realize it was an FFP. Nice surprise! </div></div>

Yes, this is the one. We figured it dovetailed nicely with the design of the Heritage and was a great companion for those you purchased it on our site.

We don't always get it right, but we try hard to tailor our approach for the shooting community at all times. That is why we exist.

Now, excuse me, I have a few calls and emails to make...

Scott

First day *using* the new FFP Bushnell Spotter is in the books...

Initial, "Day 1" impression, not bad, had some small issues right off the bat, but nothing I would call a deal breaker yet, especially when you consider the price tag.

To start, I compared it directly to a Leupold Tactical Spotter on the line, and frankly, its pretty close to the Leupold in the quality market.
bushcomp.jpg

As you can see it is the same size, roughly, very similar in design to the Leupold, almost as if they shopped at the same store.

The reticle, a clean, crisp, straight up, Mil Dot, nothing fancy, but very nicely sized even for a FFP scope. I used it all day out to 600 yards on 22X... which is interesting, yes it actually has a 22X power marking. Like they were thinking, 15X, 22X, hmm. I sort of liked that and felt it was a nice touch. Focus worked flawlessly, Eye relief, "generous" even wearing sunglasses I had plenty of room, about an easy 1" of relief to get a full sight picture. It has a locking ocular focus, another plus.
busheye.jpg

Down side, huge spherical aberrations at 15X, it reduces significantly as you increase power, but at 15X it's pretty distinct. Center is fine, reticle is unaffected but its pretty soupy at low power. I didn't have an issue at 22x, if you were to just start off trying to get a first impression, the picture at 15X might very well disappoint. At 100 yards, I was able to see 5 double spaced targets, and the center target was clear and distortion free, but the outside edge of both the right and left of center targets were starting, and the two outside targets, awful. But it keeps the reticle clear.

Remember, just the first day, so I still have a lot of things to do with this spotter, but I'm happy with what I see so far, especially when I consider the price and features provided overall. Had this spotter been around 10 years it would be owning the mainstream market right now. It's every bit as good as the Leupold at half the price and remains Front Focal Plane in an almost exact package. Sure the cover is cheaper than the one used on the Leupold's but its included, along with a small tripod and decent case, so you can't say Bushnell didn't try to give the lower end market everything someone would ask for...

More to come.... later.

Looking good so far, hoping to see some through the scope pics at different power settings later on
cool.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ker2222</div><div class="ubbcode-body">so..........where can we find one and when??? </div></div>
x2 Daddy wants.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Focus worked flawlessly, Eye relief, "generous" even wearing sunglasses I had plenty of room, about an easy 1" of relief to get a full sight picture. </div></div>

I have a totally different view. I thought the focus ring had some roughness, around 3/4 towards infinity and past 460 yards I could not focus the image. On the eye relief, my eye had to just about touch the lens for me to see. The rubber cup was too long for me to see full field, I had to roll it down. Wearing glasses I could not get my eye close enough even with the cup rolled down.

Well if I remember you looked at a slightly different model, and not the FFP one... so that in itself could be the difference.

I personally think the eye relief is fine, and I haven't used the eye cups unrolled because I am wearing sunglasses the whole time and with my sunglasses they are not pressed against the eye piece they are fine. I'm not discounting your experience, but we don't have an issue with it here.
bushrel.jpg

I will say the focus moves smooth throughout the whole travel and is fine focusing on objects. I only used this spotter the whole day with 20 shooters each with about 3 rifles going from 100 to 600 yards, if it didn't work I would have gotten one of the Zeiss spotters out.

I have a picture through the scope, but with my SLR and the lens I have, it sucks, no P&S camera to use with me. but you can see it.
bushret.jpg

This is at 15X, lowest power. Not very good, I need to see about changing lenses out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well if I remember you looked at a slightly different model, and not the FFP one... so that in itself could be the difference.

I personally think the eye relief is fine, and I haven't used the eye cups unrolled because I am wearing sunglasses the whole time and with my sunglasses they are not pressed against the eye piece they are fine. I'm not discounting your experience, but we don't have an issue with it here. </div></div>

Makes sense that the standard Excursion with out mil ret is not FFP but I was told it had ED glass and the rep told me it was part of their brand new line to Bushnell.

I tried many spotters last summer to find one I could get a quick and easy eye relief wearing glasses and only the Alpens with 20mm relief were quick and easy for me to get full field of view, so this is why I got it.

Probably me not doing something correct!

so what's up scott? what did your distributors tell you? how is it that frank could get this before you and he is not even a dealer? WOW! keep us informed bomeboy!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gman762</div><div class="ubbcode-body">so what's up scott? what did your distributors tell you? how is it that frank could get this before you and he is not even a dealer? WOW! keep us informed bomeboy! </div></div>

LOL....it's called "juice".

Frank owns a site with 25,000 rabid members, he and this site are well connected and have a lot of clout. The manufacturers have what is called "rep samples" for show and tell before the production units hit the floor en masse. Somebody felt it important to have this in Frank's hands....and that, was that.

I'm OK with this, I review stuff too but not to the level that Frank and RO can and do....I just want to get my customers squared away stat.

Of course, if Frank hates this thing that might diminish my backlog a bit....
smile.gif

It's all good.

Scott

Scott,

I like your reviews, I think you do a very good job and frankly I think I should take a lesson sometime and get back to doing things in a similar fashion to you.

But we get to put them through the paces at place with a lot of shooters, not to mention the exposure this site provides. And honestly if there is a problem or a reason for it to break we'll break much faster than anyone else.

But overall, its a decent little unit. I used it all day yesterday, and it was fine out to 1000 yards. I had a little of trouble seeing everything at 900 yards due to the light conditions, but it wasn't awful. It focuses very well, it's well powered and works as required. The price factors a lot into my thinking with this, as I think it should, and feel it is still very low end, but its a good low end and does everything a Leupold Spotter can do, so far.

I still have to check the reticle subtensions, and stuff, which I will do over the weekend after the class.

Bump

L.L. did you get a chance to finish your testing this weekend? Looking forward to the review.

-Pat

I had a chance to look through the Bushnell spotting scope today and it is pretty good. It is a good package for the price. Frank showed me everything that comes with it. Not bad for the price.

Is that like a standard Mil dot reticle, or does it have the .2 ticks at the ends like the TMR. In my opinion the TMR reticle is hard to beat.

How is it doing in low light conditions. Prime time for the forest cows around here are the last 1/2hr of daylight. Just wondering how it is with staying usable past that. My Leupy scope on my H&R does well but have wished I could do a good spotting scope for across the fields to get a better look at what I am laying out.

Final Thoughts - Bushnell FFP Mil Reticle Spotter

Okay, so I have been using the new Bushnell FFP 15-45X spotter with Mil Dot reticle for about 2 weeks solid, about everyday while working the precision rifle classes here at Rifles Only.

My initial impression when you open the box, it's a really impressive package. It comes with a nice case, a cover for the spotter and a tripod attached to the bottom straps of the case. Its really hard to believe it is less than $600.

Now, after use, continued use that is, I think it's really a nice spotter, easily compared to the Leupold Tactical which is retailing for more than twice the price. Now is it as good as my Zeiss 65, or the $5k Spotter 60, hell no ! and it wouldn't be fair if I was trying to compare it too one of those, but comparing it to the Leupold its definitely on par.

The reticle is a standard Mil Dot reticle and checking the subtensions its 100% accurate across the entire range of magnification, so there is no issue with the reticle accuracy.

In terms of use, we can focus it from 100 to 1000 yards with no problem, the zooming eye piece doesn't have any issues with travel, no high spots, or areas of tension where it might feel tight, its smooth, and focuses well.

What I did find wrong, first, at 15X its got some heavy spherical aberration, and around the edges at other powers, but again, its a $500 optic, not a $1500+ one. The center, around the reticle is fine at 15X, but once you go past the reticle it gets distorted pretty bad. As long as you aren't expecting the same picture as a Nikon or Kowa, you should be fine, but its not going to win any bird watching awards. We used it and after a while I barely noticed it as I stayed centered on the reticle. Also, on 15X and 45X the reticle has a little tiny shift in it. It moves ever so slightly but doesn't affect the subtension or accuracy, and frankly, I don't know if it started that way or if my repeated trips in the 4 wheeler at 35MPH across the fields lead to it, (Not in the case either just hanging out) But the little jump is there, again, not a greek tragedy. It handled the use and conditions fine in my opinion, better than fine in fact as I made no effort to care for it and nothing happened. Sure the cover is thin as hell, but it has a cover, and the case is really nice in my opinion, the tripod is not as bad as I thought, especially since Bushnell told me not to expect much, well it works fine, it's a camera tripod like you'd find with any digital SLR kit.

My bottom line, big buy on this one... Its well worth the money and I like the idea of people having a mil reticle in their spotters to start working with more so than just their rifle scopes. Perfect no, but perfectly suited to do the job.

Re: Final Thoughts - Bushnell FFP Mil Reticle Spotter

I was planning on buying a Mk4, looks like you just saved me some money!

Cheers

Tony

Great review thanks LL for taking the time to share.

I looked thru one at Rifles Only last weekend, its on the buy list now.

I'm thinking I'd like to get my hands on one of these......

Thanks for the T&E LL!

Waiting for Scott to give me the word. Seems like a no brainer for most of us on here.

I bumped up my order to 50 units, and as they come in we'll continue to order them until everyone is squared away. emailed Jeff Redding of Bushnell and he said they will have them June 14, so we are seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.

Scott

How'd you get one so early? I hope my name made it into the list of the first 50...

I think I was in the first half dozen so I'm awaiting an email any day now.
grin.gif

i was just looking for one of these how do i get on a list for one?

I did not purchase mine via any vendor - I sourced it through other another outlet - and picked up a few spares as my "spidey sense" tells me this item is going to be HOTTTTTTTT!

Should have a lightly used unit up for sale within the week.
smile.gif

781569ED
I was searching for something and this came back up.
There is the part number.
Chad