• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

FYI possible Hide scamming

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is probably as good a place as any, but edit the title so people will know what they're looking at.
By the way OP, you can edit the title by editing your first post, the title will be there to edit also at that time.

I’ve had a “WTB” post up for a little over a week. I’ve had several replies and a few very questionable ones. I always ask the person to call me before I send money. Said “guy” calls me and he has a foreign accent, no big deal but it sets my mind in that direction. His phone number doesn’t match his state and he is a new hide member. I put the guy thru the ringer and he answered all my questions correctly. He sent me pics and gave me a serial number that checked out with nightforce. I was still uneasy about it so I called a gun shop in KC. (Now I’ll give a big thumbs up to Quicks guns and transfers in Kansas City, good old boy club!) I set up a broker deal with Quicks. I was going to pay him to get the scope in person then ship it to me. When it came time for “guy” to deliver the scope, all communication from him dropped off.
I’m dealing with another guy starting today with all the same MO accept he has been a hide member for 6 months. Foreign accent and the phone number doesn’t match the state. I’m going to find a shop in Texas that will broker the deal and we will see if it all comes together.

Ya, I get it, there are scammers! But not many of them will call you in person and have an abundance of knowledge about the shooting sport!
See what happens when you share your feelings...haha

Last edited:
Reactions: Bender
I’ve had a “WTB” post up for a little over a week. I’ve had several replies and a few very questionable ones. I always ask the person to call me before I send money. Said “guy” calls me and he has a foreign accent, no big deal but it sets my mind in that direction. His phone number doesn’t match his state and he is a new hide member. I put the guy thru the ringer and he answered all my questions correctly. He sent me pics and gave me a serial number that checked out with nightforce. I was still uneasy about it so I called a gun shop in KC. (Now I’ll give a big thumbs up to Quicks guns and transfers in Kansas City, good old boy club!) I set up a broker deal with Quicks. I was going to pay him to get the scope in person then ship it to me. When it came time for “guy” to deliver the scope, all communication from him dropped off.
I’m dealing with another guy starting today with all the same MO accept he has been a hide member for 6 months. Foreign accent and the phone number doesn’t match the state. I’m going to find a shop in Texas that will broker the deal and we will see if it all comes together.
smart move, Youre doing exactly what LL siad, protecting yourself. Thanks for the heads up.

There's one I see on Craigslist all the time. Caars or trucks for a ridulously low price. but the owner is in Afghanistan, Iraq, fill in the blank so you need to send funds to his father, mother, fill in the blank, then they will ship the vehicle. I tried to pin one down about exactly WHERE I could see it in person. Thets when the comm's stopped.

The phone number not matching state is not totally uncommon as quite often people move out of state & keep their same number for years afterwards (or forever) if it's a cell phone number, while it is still a good check to use, there are times when it might not be. However you can often also try calling their work number (if they work for an established company) and get them there as a check also.

I’m planning on contacting a Mod, today was the cut off I set up with the broker. Wanted to make sure “guy” wasn’t in a car wreck or something crazy.

I've sold quite a few items over the years on this forum. Last couple of years especially, most of the transactions have gone thru PayPal. They offer a line of defense for you if you are the buyer. I charged a guy back in January after not receiving the goods and it was pretty painless. Mind you this wasn't from the 'hide. Most guys on this forum are stand up dudes in my experience. Never been burned, just flaked out on a few times, but I hold no ill will.

^^^THIS ^^^^

Means, you are supposed to contact a Moderator FIRST that way we can ban the account as these scammers try to contact several people at one time.

THIS Means you did not follow the proper procedure to help prevent this and limit exposure to others.

We have increased our ability to flag scammer accounts by subscribing to Forum Spam Databases that monitor this stuff. However, using a proxy they can potentially bypass this feature by posting with a different IP Address. When we flag an account as SPAM it gets added to the database helping to block accounts. There are several ways this works, but when guys try to log back on, the system will tell us.

I feel like I just got a pants down public spanking in the town square!
It's alright, don't worry about it. Just report the scammer to the mods as mentioned and move on. Lesson learned, as they say. I'd say that at least you did bring the issue to the awareness of the Hide members, now just complete it by finishing the job.

Reactions: RNWRKNP
So, you're from Montana, which by the way surprisingly enough DOES NOT butt up to New Mexico (recent joke/different thread;)), been here since '13', and for some reason I get the feeling you don't know who the HMFIC is. It's like a Foghorn Leghorn cartoon. I'm give'n ya all the tools Son, but ya ain't building nuth'n. :LOL:

Good luck man. You're doing fine. :giggle:

So, you're from Montana, which by the way surprisingly enough DOES NOT butt up to New Mexico (recent joke/different thread;)), been here since '13', and for some reason I get the feeling you don't know who the HMFIC is. It's like a Foghorn Leghorn cartoon. I'm give'n ya all the tools Son, but ya ain't building nuth'n. :LOL:

^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^
(Couldn't help myself)

Reactions: 1J04
Do you guys have jobs? ?

Yes.

Are we good at them. Not sure how to answer.
Do we go every day. No.
Do we ever lay out. Yes.
Have we ever been fired. Take 5th amendment.
Do we have too much free time on our hands. Several of us...
What do we do while off, laying out, fired (plead 5th), or otherwise bored, or too much free time on hands, well, sometimes we go to the snipershide bear pit and occasionally stir shit. ?

And poke fun at friends here..... ?, sometimes we "might" get carried away (plead 5th), and often get misunderstood because electronic media is not always the correct translator of subtle nuance. ?

And that's a couple of us miscreants' day job too... worst one is 1J04..... ??

No offense intended to any of yall....

Last edited:
FYI

The Account was banned on April 15th

Banned on 4/15? Geezus Krist. This boy's got fail written all over him. 18 days ago the jig was up, so to speak. Jimmy gets ass raped prior to that and this just NOW coming up for it's "UH OH" moment? Frank, I honestly think you should give him a signature line he can't remove for a few months. I'll leave it up to either you or some of these scallywags on here to figure out just what that should be.

Jobs. HA! So Overrated. :LOL:

Enjoy, ya bastidge !

Banned on 4/15? Geezus Krist. This boy's got fail written all over him. 18 days ago the jig was up, so to speak. Jimmy gets ass raped prior to that and this just NOW coming up for it's "UH OH" moment? Frank, I honestly think you should give him a signature line he can't remove for a few months. I'll leave it up to either you or some of these scallywags on here to figure out just what that should be.

Jobs. HA! So Overrated. :LOL:

I’m confused, I need a signature line?

Yes.

Are we good at them. Not sure how to answer.
Do we go every day. No.
Do we ever lay out. Yes.
Have we ever been fired. Take 5th amendment.
Do we have too much free time on our hands. Several of us...
What do we do while off, laying out, fired (plead 5th), or otherwise bored, or too much free time on hands, well, sometimes we go to the snipershide bear pit and occasionally stir shit. ?

And poke fun at friends here..... ?, sometimes we "might" get carried away (plead 5th), and often get misunderstood because electronic media is not always the correct translator of subtle nuance. ?

Subtle Nuance ? Oh, is that what they're calling it now ?

And that's a couple of us miscreants' day job too... worst one is 1J04..... ??

J has a job ? Never realized that.....:unsure:

No offense intended to any of yall....

Oh look, it's cocktail hour.....:cool::cool::cool:

Reactions: 1J04
I’m confused, I need a signature line?

No, you don't need one, but sometimes you get one assigned when people poke fun, and the rest of the crew then finds out your sense of humor and how you will fit with this crew.
Sometimes we get edge of insane. The bear pit can be a rough entrance to learning snipershide .

You made some new guy bumps and you are getting poked. It will pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.