• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns G21 Gen 4 Mag drop issues!!!!

Glock45

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 29, 2010
south-central WI, USA
A question to those of you shooting Gen 4 Glocks, more specifically a G21. So, I recently purchased a G21G4. I have used my Gen 3 for years, no issues. I shoot the Gen4, shoots nice. Then I begin shooting multi-shot strings, like practicing a Bill Drill, or shoot to lockback - reload - fire 2 to 3 more. Magazine just DROPS OUT on me!! NO FOOLING, drops out. multiple magazines tried, same issue.

Ok, I know my hand must be hitting the mag-catch(I'm right handed, hold high on the pistol, stack right thumb on top of left thumb on left side of pistol.)

Anyone else having this issue? I admittedly have meaty paws. My initial thought is to file/sand down the mag-catch so it's more flush with the receiver surface. Just have an area remaining that is similar in size to my Gen3. Any thoughts anyone?

Some of you will say, "Just sell the thing." It's my uniformed Duty Gun(or will be), I do like my Glocks, and am more looking for if anyone else has had this experience, and what you've done. I do like the dual spring in the Gen4 as I feel it offers a nice recoil pulse. Just my opinion and feel.

Thanks in advance for your time and reading!

-G45

Re: G21 Gen 4 Mag drop issues!!!!

I've never had that issue with mine but you can switch the mag release IIRC so i would take it out and look and see what's causing it to stick. Does it drop the mag when your just holding it or only when shooting?

Is this when seating full magazines? I've run into an issue when doing combat speed reloads with full mags and not seating them far enough for the mag catch to actually "catch" the magazine. That wasn't a gun issue, it was a training issue. The gun was telling me, "Seat that mag home with some authority, boy!"

Mags are fully seated. I've tried with mags loaded with 3, 6, 13. All can and will drop out before I intentionally depress mag catch. Mags have been FULLY seated, with the tug/pull verification prior to firing.

It only happens in 2-handed firing and leads me to believe my support hand(left for me) is pressing on mag catch. Again, i realize I have meaty hands.

I'm filing down the rear 2/3 of the slide catch button(or if looking at pistols left side, the right 2/3) if that makes sense. I'm hoping I'm just pushing in on that part.

I am quite confident with my pistol shooting(I'm not Dave Sevigny however) so I'm not about to change my shooting grip for the one pistol of many I own that cause this problem.

It's very very frustrating!!! We'll see how the filing/sanding works.

-G45