• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

G3K vs HK91 clones

nightwolf0215

Private
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2013
Southern California
I saw a post about a G3K clones made from PTR91 receiver and one of the seller big selling point is the RCM barrel with correct 1/10 twist in stead of a cutdown PTR91 barrel with 1/12 twist. How important is this for accuracy of the rifle? Would a few inches and slightly difference twist make a big difference at 200yards?

It isn't necessarily about accuracy, but rather the loss of velocity combined with a slower twist making it difficult to properly stabilize heavier bullets. A 1:12 to a 1:10 twist, while it may not seem like much, is a HUGE difference at the end of the day. If you aren't shooting much over standard ball ammo weights (145gr-150gr bullets), then it isn't going to matter much. If you want to shoot heavier, longer match-type bullets, then you may have issues with the slower, 1:12 twist of the stock cut-down PTR barrel. Remember...the G3K and other HK91-type rifles were/are battle rifles and not precision rifles. They were minute-of-man rifles when built and nothing about that has changed since their initial development nearly 60 years ago (obviously not taking into account the dedicated precision side of the HK coin like the PSG-1, MSG-90, SG1, etc., etc.). With the proper ammo for the rifle, both the PTR clones and the true G3K reproductions are both highly capable battle rifles in the hands of a competent shooter.

not going to make a lick of difference for 200 yards, especially if you are shooting with irons.

Even at 1000 yards with a 20x optic, a 1/12 twist barrel will do just fine with 175gr SMKs.

I myself do not know why the move to 1/10? My Savage, Remi 5R, and Noveske all came with 1/10 twist, but my older .308 rifles all came with 1/12.

Last edited:
I missed out on the g3k so i guess it works out perfectly. I own a new model ptr91 and i have been covetting a g3k done by one of the hkpro vendor (parabellum combat system). But then again, the length differences isnt much and i dont plan on shooting a lot of 308 because of the cost.

I gotta say thou, i am very impressed by the PTR91. The fit and finish is very amazing consider it is a clone. Receiver is also very well done i thought it was an hk factory made with very well made weld. I gotta shoot this beauty and post some pics of it up here. :)

Btw, i am weary of scratching up the paint on my PtR91. Last owner sent it out for an HK tough black paint job and it is beautiful. Is there a way to mount the UTG low profile mount or claw mount without damaging the paint job?

Btw, i am weary of scratching up the paint on my PtR91. Last owner sent it out for an HK tough black paint job and it is beautiful. Is there a way to mount the UTG low profile mount or claw mount without damaging the paint job?

Sure is...and a great way at that...DON'T MOUNT IT AT ALL!!! All of the UTG mounts are pure airsoft quality garbage in my experience. Every one that I have seen or had the displeasure of having to work with on other people's rifles has been poor fitting and generally unable to hold zero worth a damn no matter what you do to them (incl. loc-tite down the screws, etc.).

As for the claw lock setups...they are generally of good quality (HK OEM, ARMS, etc. that is) but there are some knock-offs about that are junk so be aware. You'll beat up the finish (regardless of the type) on any HK-type rifle/carbine mounting any sort of optic mount/rail. Of all the mounts out there, the B&T and MFI low profile mounts that I've used generally cause the "least" amount of finish wear/tear, but as I said before...it is unavoidable so don't sweat it. Use it like any other tool in the safe and when its aesthetics get too raw or beat up for your stomach to handle any longer..get it refinished. The other thing that will help with finish wear is once you have the mount on the rifle, leave it alone. Removing and reinstalling the mount causes most of the really bad finish issues I have seen on HK and clone rifles on and around the scope mounting tabs.

Last edited:
Sure is...and a great way at that...DON'T MOUNT IT AT ALL!!! All of the UTG mounts are pure airsoft quality garbage in my experience. Every one that I have seen or had the displeasure of having to work with on other people's rifles has been poor fitting and generally unable to hold zero worth a damn no matter what you do to them (incl. loc-tite down the screws, etc.).

As for the claw lock setups...they are generally of good quality (HK OEM, ARMS, etc. that is) but there are some knock-offs about that are junk so be aware. You'll beat up the finish (regardless of the type) on any HK-type rifle/carbine mounting any sort of optic mount/rail. Of all the mounts out there, the B&T and MFI low profile mounts that I've used generally cause the "least" amount of finish wear/tear, but as I said before...it is unavoidable so don't sweat it. Use it like any other tool in the safe and when its aesthetics get too raw or beat up for your stomach to handle any longer..get it refinished. The other thing that will help with finish wear is once you have the mount on the rifle, leave it alone. Removing and reinstalling the mount causes most of the really bad finish issues I have seen on HK and clone rifles on and around the scope mounting tabs.

Thanks for the input ORD. I think im just going to shoot iron sights and see how it is first before mounting anything on it. I am in the search for a .308 rifle and this was one that came up. Reading some reviews on the hk91 platform and its accuracy, i am a bit hesistant. I am thinking in between this one, a SCAR, a Keltec RFB, or something unusual. AR-10 is the obvious choice, but i want sth a little different. :) any recommendation?

Thanks for the input ORD. I think im just going to shoot iron sights and see how it is first before mounting anything on it. I am in the search for a .308 rifle and this was one that came up. Reading some reviews on the hk91 platform and its accuracy, i am a bit hesistant. I am thinking in between this one, a SCAR, a Keltec RFB, or something unusual. AR-10 is the obvious choice, but i want sth a little different. :) any recommendation?

No problem. There are so many different .308 semi-autos on the market now (AR-based platforms and otherwise) that I'd scarcely know where to begin to point you in terms of other recommendations. You are certainly considering some VERY different options right now though as between the HK clones, a SCAR17 and the RFB.

Knowing exactly what you want/need to do with the rifle, the features/options you want/need, along with your expectations re: accuracy, etc. might be a useful starting point for that discussion.

As for HK accuracy...they are more than acceptable by any and all battle rifle standards (i.e. - 2-3MOA with standard NATO/mil ball ammo). Aside from ones that had damaged barrels, bad bolt gap problems and similar issues...I have yet to find one that wouldn't exceed that with match-quality ammo, a properly mounted optic, and a shooter that knows how to do their part. Without a SUBSTANTIAL amount of modification and tuning of your ammo to the rifle...along with a LOT of coin to match...you'll never get your average HK-clone rifle anywhere near the level of accuracy capable of just about any current production, out-of-the-box factory .308 semi-auto (i.e. - MOA or better, including those from Armalite, DPMS, etc., etc.,...again, with proper ammo, shooter, etc.).