• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report G7 BC for .308 175 SMK?

mattj

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 25, 2007
Seattle, WA
Does anybody have a 'known good' G7 BC for the 175gr .308 SMK?

I get anywhere from .239 to .253 depending on which combination of software/data I use.

The closest "good" data I could find is a .240 G7 BC cited here on the Hide by Mr. Litz for the .308 178gr AMAX (published .495 G1 BC) -- so I'm guessing a good G7 number for the .308 175 SMK will be very close to that?

-Matt

Re: G7 BC for .308 175 SMK?

I contacted Sierra a while back regarding G7 data on the 175SMK and they declined to provide or confirm my findings.

Seems like if varies slightly from ~.235-.245 (175gr SMK)
168gr SMK G7 ~.215-.220

PS~ 168grAMAX G7~.225-.230 (Hornady also declined to provide G7 data)

BuffyBuster,
Your G7 BC's for the 168 SMK and Amax are very close to my measured values. I measured the 168 SMK at 0.218 and the Amax at 0.230. I'm interested to learn your methods for determining G7 BC's with such good accuracy.

I've been talking to the other major bullet companies about G7 BC's for over a year now, since before I started working for Berger. They agree that G7 BC's are better for long range rifle bullets, but that the user community (shooters) just couldn't handle the shift from G1 BC's to G7 BC's. Admittedly, the shift will be difficult and confusing during the transition, but the benefits are too obvious and profound to think that it's not going to happen. We (Berger) currently provide G7 BC's for all our bullets on request, but will soon be publishing them along with G1 BC's. The ultimate goal is to phase out the G1 BC's for those bullets that it's not appropriate for.

I believe that eventually, the other companies will follow suit, especially if their continually asked for G7 BC's by shooters who are in the know. It's hard to tell how long it will take, but eventually the standard will be G7. In the mean time, I'll provide G7 BC's for any bullets that I've tested.

Take care,
-Bryan

Bryan,

It truly is an honor to be in correspondence with a person of your magnitude. I started to doubt G1 data when my actual results did not correlate properly with calculated tables. Upon investigation of the basis of G1 data, to my eye, it seemed flawed for the type of bullets we are currently using in LR shooting. I researched some more and G7 data compiled by our military seemed to be a much better mathematical model.

During load development I recorded the muzzle velocity of my loads using the various bullets. During LR shooting sessions, I kept records of D/A, atmospheric conditions and DOPE recorded for the various distances. With that body of data (still growing) I used JBM to back into what the G7 BC for the AMAX and SMK should be, interpolating the DOPE collected against the conditions. After running through enough combinations a workable approximation of the G7 data was arrived at.

At least, those are the G7 numbers that correlate with my actual DOPE given the atmospheric conditions. I wish I had access/capacity for multiple chronograph screens at minimum three distances (MV, MidrangeV, TargetV), that would probably be able to really narrow down the approximation.

IMO every bullet manufacturer should provide G7 data. Any shooter that is into LR shooting will/should know/understand the usefullness of G7 versus G1 data. G7 is hands down more accurate and precise since it essentially remains constant for the velocity envelop, unlike G1.

Respectfully,

Henry Song

Reactions: MP2Day

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bryan Litz</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I measured the 168 SMK at 0.218

Take care,
-Bryan </div></div>

cool.gif
Thanks Bryan, Ive got another one wright down.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bryan Litz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BuffyBuster,
I've been talking to the other major bullet companies about G7 BC's for over a year now, since before I started working for Berger. They agree that G7 BC's are better for long range rifle bullets, but that the user community (shooters) just couldn't handle the shift from G1 BC's to G7 BC's. Admittedly, the shift will be difficult and confusing during the transition, but the benefits are too obvious and profound to think that it's not going to happen. </div></div>

{Retorical} So the very same people who intricately tinker with each and every parameter of their load and loading process are not capable of using a different number? {/Retorical}

{Painfully} This sounds like marketdroids have taken over. {/Painfully}

In any event, there should not problem is posting both sets of numbers, the G7 number by itself (or with a speed range from 0-4000 fps); and the G1 numbers with the appropriate speed ranges.

{Aside:} And by the way, thanks for all your good work in this area.

can i ask what the hell g7 bc is? is this considered the degrading b.c and if so how do you determine all this info?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dgunn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">can i ask what the hell g7 bc is? is this considered the degrading b.c and if so how do you determine all this info? </div></div>

Mitch,

I have to say, I think this answers your question on whether "endusers" are ready for G7 BC data.

Though I agree G7 should be published and is much better.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: buffybuster</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dgunn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">can i ask what the hell g7 bc is? is this considered the degrading b.c and if so how do you determine all this info? </div></div>

Mitch,

I have to say, I think this answers your question on whether "endusers" are ready for G7 BC data.

Though I agree G7 should be published and is much better. </div></div>

I am going to have to begrudgingly agree with you, here.

Glad the question sparked some discussion.

Bryan, if you happen to still be following this thread (or other ballistics gurus who might be reading): Do you have any thoughts on the most reliable method for an "end user" to come up with G7 BC's on their own without burning out a barrel to collect the data?

I recall reading an article you wrote a while back that iirc, indicated that you could come up with a number representing the "form factor" of the bullet and multiply that number by the sectional density to get the G7 BC. Is that method something that is accessible to the end user, or is it something that requires a whole lot of specialized equipment/expensive software/computer horsepower (and how does a number derived in that fashion tend to compare to BCs generated from experimental data)?

If not... can taking samples with a single (consumer-grade) chrono at different ranges (10-20 shots at 10ft, 10-20 shots at 100 yards, 10-20 shots at 200 yards -- using 'best practices' such as giving time too cool between shots, etc) and averaging the results at the different (don't risk shooting the chrono) ranges yield data that is good enough to arrive at an "accurate enough" G7 BC? I guess 'accurate enough' here would be a number that gives more-accurate-to-real-life results than bullet manufacturer's provided G1 BCs. And as a follow on to that, would adding a second chrono (so you get get data at two ranges for an individual shot) significantly improve the quality of the data?

Many thanks,

Matt

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: buffybuster</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dgunn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">can i ask what the hell g7 bc is? is this considered the degrading b.c and if so how do you determine all this info? </div></div>

Mitch,

i think i have another question so you can decide if we are ready for your wealth of knowledge. if i produce a dope chart with a program and one b.c (the G1 i believe) and it is tested real world and tracks along to within 1/2 moa deviation to 1k then who really gives two shits about the G7...that is unless you fellows are shooting well beyond 1k. oh, and what is that g7 number for 1k on a 175smk.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dgunn</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: buffybuster</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dgunn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">can i ask what the hell g7 bc is? is this considered the degrading b.c and if so how do you determine all this info? </div></div>

Mitch,

i think i have another question so <span style="font-weight: bold">you can decide if we are ready for your wealth of knowledge</span>. if i produce a dope chart with a program and one b.c (the G1 i believe) and it is tested real world and tracks along to within 1/2 moa deviation to 1k then who really gives two shits about the G7...that is unless you fellows are shooting well beyond 1k. oh, and what is that g7 number for 1k on a 175smk. </div></div>

dgunn,

I'm not sure where the "attitude" is coming from. I never stated that I was the wealth of information. I was just replying to a post and put my observations in. If G1 works for you, that's fine. But there's no question that G7 tracks more precisely with VLD type of bullets.

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt." -Abraham Lincoln

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dgunn</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: buffybuster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
dgunn said:
</div></div>

i think i have another question so you can decide if we are ready for your wealth of knowledge. if i produce a dope chart with a program and one b.c (the G1 i believe) and it is tested real world and tracks along to within 1/2 moa deviation to 1k then who really gives two shits about the G7...that is unless you fellows are shooting well beyond 1k. oh, and what is that g7 number for 1k on a 175smk. </div></div>

Not really an accurate statement in the bigger picture.

Ballistic Coefficient (B.C.) is defined as a bullet ability to overcome air resistance in flight. The more aerodynamic the bullet the less air resistance it will encounter in flight. Also, drag increases as the bullet approaches the sonic barrier, this is one reason why you see multiple BC’s at different velocities as well as when the bullet re-enters the sub-sonic range.

Bullet manufactures are in business to sell more bullets. A lot of shooters buy bullets based on high BC numbers. Bullet manufactures publish their bullets using the G1 drag model. G1 drag model yields higher BC’s numbers, but are very inaccurate for determining exterior ballistic charts for long range shooting.

The G1 drag model was developed in the 1880's by Ingalls and Russian Colonel Mayevski using a 1 inch 1 pound round nose projectile as its basis. So what the bullet manufactures (except Berger) are really saying is…. any type of bullet regardless of shape can be calculated using the same mathematical model.

So using there logic a VLD bullet can use the same mathematical model as a round nose 30-30 type bullet. Most folks can realize how flawed that argument is. But this is what bullet companies would like you to believe. This is why they love G1 B.C.'s... because they yield high BC’s numbers for their bullets.

The US Army at the Aberdeen Proving grounds has established Coefficient drags or CD’s using G5 for boat-tail bullets and G7 for VLD bullets. The BC’s for these drag models are much lower than the published G1 BC… but bullets with lower BC’s don’t sell well!

Anyhow, these mathematical models are extremely accurate at long ranges, but the BC is much lower.

To get around the short comings of the G1 drag model, some designers of ballistic programs use modified G1 drag models, or multiple BC’s to help massage the results at longer ranges. This is just a band-aid to correct there ballistic programs deficiencies. Also, Publishing multiple G1 BC's for velocity drops would certainly better than giving a single BC, however it is extremely difficult if not impossible to accurately measure adjusted BC at a given velocity.

Multiple BC’s and such are not required or even necessary with the G5,G6 or G7 coefficient drag models as there would only be about 0.001 or 0.002 difference in the G7 BC in the different velocity bands.

The better solution would be to offer a ballistic program with all the CD models as well as the correct bullet BC for the appropriate CD. Most long range bullets with boat-tails (secant or tangent ogives) match G7 better than any other CD model.

Hope it helps

Can someone post 100-1000 yds trajectory data for the 175 SMK using the G7 BC?

It would be interesting to see the difference with run-of-the-mill G1 BC predicted trajectory, and multiple G1 BCs
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TiroFijo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can someone post 100-1000 yds trajectory data for the 175 SMK using the G7 BC?

It would be interesting to see the difference with run-of-the-mill G1 BC predicted trajectory, and multiple G1 BCs
wink.gif
... </div></div>

TiroFijo,

It's been a while since we've chatted, hope things are well with. Actually 175 SMK fit the G5 CD model better fout of my rifle. Actual scope height was 2.18 but by adjusting to 1.8" it brought my intermidate ranges in.

175 gr SMK (Velocity 2590 fps) (Scope Height 1.8") (Actual calculated G5 BC .331) Temp 48, BP 28.60, Alt 0'

Range / MOA
100 / 0.00
200 / -1.97
300 / -4.79
400 / -8.08
500 / -11.81
600 / -15.99
700 / -20.70
800 / -26.01
900 / -31.98
1000/ -38.73

Hi Jeff
smile.gif

I just wanted to point out that the differences in predicted trajectories using the various drag curves are small for most bullets... and particularly for this 175 SMK.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TiroFijo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi Jeff
smile.gif

I just wanted to point out that the differences in predicted trajectories using the various drag curves are small for most bullets... and particularly for this 175 SMK. </div></div>

TiroFigo,

I updated my post using my G5 data. Understood, you and I have been down this road a few times in the past. It also depends on who's ballistic program you're using when using with a G1 BC. Some have just plain awful calculations.

You still plugging a long with the Sierra ballistic program? I had the original version way back when and the calculations were awful. I know they've done a lot to it in the past decade and folks like you seem to like it.
smile.gif

I had the same problem with Bc and just went with the honey load after load development
and then went on paper from 100 to 1k and did my drop chart that way

Reactions: ACK

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TiroFijo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can someone post 100-1000 yds trajectory data for the 175 SMK using the G7 BC?</div></div>

You are misunderstanding the direction of cause and effect, here. If you have a trajectory (out sufficiently far), you can use that trajectory to compute the BC from any drag-model {G1, G5, G7,...}. A good BC extraction will also tell you of how well the measured BC correlates to the actual trajectory, and can spit-out the BC for any drag-model.

When you take that measured BC and put it back into a ballistics progam, it will reproduce the trajectory -- which is only close enough to get you on paper.

The problem is that differently shapped bullets should use DIFFERENT drag-models. Thus the blunt nose hunting bullet should be using G1 (or GL), while the 11 radius secant ogive boat tail bullet should be using G7, and the flat base pointed nose short range target bullet shold be using G6.

Another issue is that BC is not directly related to the amount of drag, but indirectly via the drag-model. In the following link, midway down the page, is a list of the different drag-models graphed as the coefficient of drag (rather than the BC). By observing the wide range of deceleration models, it should become clear that ONE drag-model is not and can never be sufficient for all projectiles.

http://www.frfrogspad.com/extbal.htm

Mitch,

You nailed it, one size can never fit all. The diagram you referenced is one of the tools of the RSI Ballistic Lab which I've found to be the best ballistic program on the market. I use this tool with every new bullet I shoot and once you figure out the proper drag model it really makes a huge difference in your trajectory outputs.

Here's one I did for the 168 Barnes Triple Shock bullet I took moose hunting in Alaska
Dragmodel1.jpg

The Barnes Triple shock is listed as a boat tail but as you can see it doesn't come close to fitting a G1 or G5 CD Model but fits very nicely into the G7 CD model
Dragmodel2.jpg

your bc is what it is.... under your conditions so ..in my opinion you find your most accurate load and then go shoot it...crunching #'s is only that only #'s ...just test it in the field and then you'll know

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jeff in TX</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dgunn</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: buffybuster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
dgunn said:
</div></div>

i think i have another question so you can decide if we are ready for your wealth of knowledge. if i produce a dope chart with a program and one b.c (the G1 i believe) and it is tested real world and tracks along to within 1/2 moa deviation to 1k then who really gives two shits about the G7...that is unless you fellows are shooting well beyond 1k. oh, and what is that g7 number for 1k on a 175smk. </div></div>

Not really an accurate statement in the bigger picture.

Ballistic Coefficient (B.C.) is defined as a bullet ability to overcome air resistance in flight. The more aerodynamic the bullet the less air resistance it will encounter in flight. Also, drag increases as the bullet approaches the sonic barrier, this is one reason why you see multiple BC’s at different velocities as well as when the bullet re-enters the sub-sonic range.

Bullet manufactures are in business to sell more bullets. A lot of shooters buy bullets based on high BC numbers. Bullet manufactures publish their bullets using the G1 drag model. G1 drag model yields higher BC’s numbers, but are very inaccurate for determining exterior ballistic charts for long range shooting.

The G1 drag model was developed in the 1880's by Ingalls and Russian Colonel Mayevski using a 1 inch 1 pound round nose projectile as its basis. So what the bullet manufactures (except Berger) are really saying is…. any type of bullet regardless of shape can be calculated using the same mathematical model.

So using there logic a VLD bullet can use the same mathematical model as a round nose 30-30 type bullet. Most folks can realize how flawed that argument is. But this is what bullet companies would like you to believe. This is why they love G1 B.C.'s... because they yield high BC’s numbers for their bullets.

The US Army at the Aberdeen Proving grounds has established Coefficient drags or CD’s using G5 for boat-tail bullets and G7 for VLD bullets. The BC’s for these drag models are much lower than the published G1 BC… but bullets with lower BC’s don’t sell well!

Anyhow, these mathematical models are extremely accurate at long ranges, but the BC is much lower.

To get around the short comings of the G1 drag model, some designers of ballistic programs use modified G1 drag models, or multiple BC’s to help massage the results at longer ranges. This is just a band-aid to correct there ballistic programs deficiencies. Also, Publishing multiple G1 BC's for velocity drops would certainly better than giving a single BC, however it is extremely difficult if not impossible to accurately measure adjusted BC at a given velocity.

Multiple BC’s and such are not required or even necessary with the G5,G6 or G7 coefficient drag models as there would only be about 0.001 or 0.002 difference in the G7 BC in the different velocity bands.

The better solution would be to offer a ballistic program with all the CD models as well as the correct bullet BC for the appropriate CD. Most long range bullets with boat-tails (secant or tangent ogives) match G7 better than any other CD model.

Hope it helps
</div></div>

jeff,

thank you and the explanation you provided clearly explains and answers my questions to a degree. i guess what i am asking is what i stated before in my last post. if the dope tracks and you are putting rounds on target to within 1/2 moa deviation with a 175smk will knowing a g7 bc change or in any way improve what is already happening? we are talking about a .308 here and not a 7wsm or something super flat etc. if so, how do you get the g7 data for a 175smk @2650. thanks again and i wasn't trying to flame anyone etc.

Mitch, trust me I know all the theory, but are you sure the G7 curve fits the 175 SMK better than the G1? By what margin? How do you know this?

The different shape bullets SHOULD fit the appropriate drag curve better, but this is not always the case... subtle differences in shapes, and caliber variations, means that each bullet has an individual drag curve that many times is not exactly the same as the sample bullet.

Sierra shoots the bullets at various velocities to find the G1 BCs in these brackets, we all agree with Bryan this is not perfect but works, and it is real world data, not just a G1 BC measured at top speed in the first 200 yds like many makers do.

In this particular case, the Sierra 175 SMK G1 BCs are 0,505 (above 2800 fps), 0,496 n(between 2800 and 1800 fps), and 0,485 (below 1800 fps). Sierra uses as much as five G1 BCs, and the 175 SMK is one of their most tested bullets, with lots of real world data from military tests. If they choose to use only three BCs to "fit" the bullet to the G1 curve that's a hint... another is that loaded in a 308 Win all the velocities are below 2800 fps, so we are only talking about a 2.2% difference between 0.496 and 0.485.

I would like to know about tests, with real world data, to see if the G7 really fits better, and how much...

BTW, I'm not against progress and I fully agree with Bryan and all of you that the best fit curve should be used in every case
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TiroFijo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mitch, trust me I know all the theory, but are you sure the G7 curve fits the 175 SMK better than the G1? By what margin? How do you know this?

The different shape bullets SHOULD fit the appropriate drag curve better, but this is not always the case... subtle differences in shapes, and caliber variations, means that each bullet has an individual drag curve that many times is not exactly the same as the sample bullet.

Sierra shoots the bullets at various velocities to find the G1 BCs in these brackets, we all agree with Bryan this is not perfect but works, and it is real world data, not just a G1 BC measured at top speed in the first 200 yds like many makers do.

In this particular case, the Sierra 175 SMK G1 BCs are 0,505 (above 2800 fps), 0,496 n(between 2800 and 1800 fps), and 0,485 (below 1800 fps). Sierra uses as much as five G1 BCs, and the 175 SMK is one of their most tested bullets, with lots of real world data from military tests. If they choose to use only three BCs to "fit" the bullet to the G1 curve that's a hint... another is that loaded in a 308 Win all the velocities are below 2800 fps, so we are only talking about a 2.2% difference between 0.496 and 0.485.

I would like to know about tests, with real world data, to see if the G7 really fits better, and how much...

BTW, I'm not against progress and I fully agree with Bryan and all of you that the best fit curve should be used in every case
smile.gif
</div></div>

yeah...what he said. that is what i was trying to ask and get at. thanks

dgunn,

If your G1 BC is working satisfactory for you, then there is little reason to change. However, I think accurate G7 BC will make it even more precise. Sierra doesn't publish their G7 BC, so the best source is probably from Mr. Litz (near the top of posts) and he says the G7 BC for a 175gr SMK is ~.243, just make sure you select "G7" when you input the BC value.

The way that I arrived at my G7 values was by chronographing my loads and shooting them at long range and collecting all data. I then took this data and backed into the G7 BC using JBM Ballstic Calculator and tweaking alot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: buffybuster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">dgunn,

If your G1 BC is working satisfactory for you, then there is little reason to change. However, I think accurate G7 BC will make it even more precise. Sierra doesn't publish their G7 BC, so the best source is probably from Mr. Litz (near the top of posts) and he says the G7 BC for a 175gr SMK is ~.243, just make sure you select "G7" when you input the BC value.

The way that I arrived at my G7 values was by chronographing my loads and shooting them at long range and collecting all data. I then took this data and backed into the G7 BC using JBM Ballstic Calculator and tweaking alot. </div></div>

yes, i have done the same thing with my program and exbal. i don't know that i called it the g7 but same principal. i truly cannot see much more than a 1moa change to which i am not sure i can't attribute to temp, baro etc. you say ~ .243 is the g7 and is this at 2650 at the muzzle or at 1200 adn change @1k.

TrioFrio,

I got started down this G7 BC path when I was shooting 168AMAX's; using JBM ballistic calculator with the published G1 BC, I my actual DOPE began to diverge beyond ~850yds, enough that I couldn't attribute it to shooter error. At ~950yds I noticed that my bullets were tumbling, while the JBM "calculated" dope told me the bullets should be OK. Whatever I did, I could not get my actual field results to jive with the calculated results at long range. That's when I started to look at other drag functions and G7 fit the best and I backed into a G7 BC that tracks very closely in trajectory and velocity.

buffy, all I can say is that everybody shoots the 175 SMK at 1000 yds with no problems... there must be something else.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TiroFijo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mitch, trust me I know all the theory, but are you sure the G7 curve fits the 175 SMK better than the G1? By what margin? How do you know this?</div></div>

Since it takes Sierra 3 different BC numbers to fit one drag-model, that drag-model is not a very accurate representation of the flight characteristics of that bullet. If the bullet exactly matched the drag model, you would need only 1 BC number. Indeed, Bryan has found that the PALMA style bullets fit the G7 drag-model withiin a very small percent error band. See:

http://www.appliedballisticsllc.com/index_files/Lapua_Scenar.pdf

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The different shape bullets SHOULD fit the appropriate drag curve better, but this is not always the case... subtle differences in shapes, and caliber variations, means that each bullet has an individual drag curve that many times is not exactly the same as the sample bullet.

smile.gif
</div></div>

Read Bryan's test results of PALMA bullets.

In a sense, you are correct. Instead of publishing the BC number, they should be publishing the drag-model for that bullet. Just like the transistor models for SPICE used in circuit simulations. One cannot characterize transistors with a couple of parameters, one needs a whole <several hundred equation> model to accurately simulate a single transistor. Bullets are at least as interesting.

However, this would mean ballistics simulators would have to be tweeked to allow downloadable ballistics models for each bullet. Such is the cost of accuracy. At this point I revert to the standard:: "A ballistics program is only good enough to get you on paper. If you want accuracy, keep a dope book." mantra.

So I will end with this thought: A coefficient (as in Ballistics coefficient) should be a single number; NOT a number that is velocity dependent. Seeing that a coefficient is dependent on some other parameter tells you that that given number is NOT a coefficient. Coefficients are constant for a given <thing, operating regimine>.

Getting the drag-model correct makes the BC appear to be more constant--or makes the ballistics calculation closer--but nothing is as accurate as actual dope. Actual dope IS the trajectory--which then gets distilled down to a BC and then regurgitated into a trajectory. The dope is corect, the output from the program is merely a starting point for missing data in the dope book.

BTW I am not knocking Sierra, this is a plea for reloaders/shooters to use an appropriate model when striving for extreme accuracy; and a plea to have manufactures provide their best estimates that drive these models. The ideal case is not a BC that actually is a constant, but a drag-model (wqhich can be plugged into a Ballistics program) that makes whether the BC is a constant or not vanish into insignificance.

[/quote]

jeff,

thank you and the explanation you provided clearly explains and answers my questions to a degree. i guess what i am asking is what i stated before in my last post. if the dope tracks and you are putting rounds on target to within 1/2 moa deviation with a 175smk will knowing a g7 bc change or in any way improve what is already happening? we are talking about a .308 here and not a 7wsm or something super flat etc. if so, how do you get the g7 data for a 175smk @2650. thanks again and i wasn't trying to flame anyone etc. [/quote]

Mitch,

Well said, this is what I've been saying a long, but it's nice to get a different angle on it.

dgunn,

The answer to your question is yes and no. Remember Sierra’s flagship bullet is their Match King series, as well as it’s one of the most shot bullets in existence. So if I was developing a ballistic program using a G1 drag model I would try to make sure my mathematical equations matched the SMK as closely as possible.

So you may be correct and you may only be off a half minute at a grand which is splitting hairs with a .308.

But what happens when you shoot a true VLD or another type of bullet. The ballistic programs accuracy may be off a little or a lot. I won’t use the G1 model or BC period for anything. I measure the actual G series CD model for the bullet I’m shooting out of my guns and work with real range data before doing any equations on my own or with my RSI ballistic lab.

Hope it helps

thanks jeff. i really only use smk's in my rifle for now so i guess you and i answered my question. if i decide to try a vld or the like i will dig deeper into g7 data. also sounds like you have a lot of testing equipment to provide that data for you which is a neccessity.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dgunn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">thanks jeff. i really only use smk's in my rifle for now so i guess you and i answered my question. if i decide to try a vld or the like i will dig deeper into g7 data. also sounds like you have a lot of testing equipment to provide that data for you which is a neccessity. </div></div>

dgunn,

Not a lot of equipment, I just like to shoot and I thoroughly enjoy ballistics and ballistic modeling. I own two CED Millennium chronographs which are somewhat inexpensive but very accurate.

Anyone have a G7 for the 178gr A-Max?

.30 cal 178 grain Amax
G7 BC = 0.240 lb/in^2

This has been a good discussion of BC's. I'd like to point out that we (Berger) have now published G7 BC's for our bullets (the ones that G7 is appropriate for) on the website along with G1 BC's. The G7 BC's will also appear on bullet box labels as well.

Here's a link to our blog that explains the 'What and Why' of G7 BC's.

http://02b0516.netsolhost.com/blog1/?p=62

-Bryan

Bryan, thank you sir!

Jeff in TX, or anyone else in the know.

Could you post 100-2000 yds G5 and G7 BC's and there respective moa trajectories in 25yd increments for the 220gr Sierra MKs. So I can compare my G1 BCs derived from the new Sierra ballistics CD andy actual field derived dope.
Thx much,
Jordan

PS. Gig 'em.
Fighting Texas Aggie Class of '96

I guess really all I need is the G5 BC, and I can figure out the rest.....
thx
jordan

let me know

Why did ya adjust from 2.18, and use 1.8" on scope height?
thx
jordan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jeff in TX</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TiroFijo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can someone post 100-1000 yds trajectory data for the 175 SMK using the G7 BC?

wink.gif
... </div></div>

TiroFijo,

It's been a while since we've chatted, hope things are well with. Actually 175 SMK fit the G5 CD model better fout of my rifle. Actual scope height was 2.18 but by adjusting to 1.8" it brought my intermidate ranges in.

175 gr SMK (Velocity 2590 fps) (Scope Height 1.8") (Actual calculated G5 BC .331) Temp 48, BP 28.60, Alt 0'

Range / MOA
100 / 0.00
200 / -1.97
300 / -4.79
400 / -8.08
500 / -11.81
600 / -15.99
700 / -20.70
800 / -26.01
900 / -31.98
1000/ -38.73
</div></div>

Captjordon,

Sorry, I only check in every now and then. Give me a couple of hours as I'm working on project and I'll run some quick calculations for you.

captjordon,

Let’s start with your first question on your Sierra .308 220gr BTHP MK
G1= .629
G5= .384
G7= .311

Your second question why did I change my scope height?

Ballistic programs can be a very useful tool and extremely accurate especially if you understand ballistics or know how to tweak your data. A lot of users I talk with and have checked over their data use incorrect input data and wonder why their program doesn’t match their actual shooting data. Such as trying to populate both Altitude and Barometric Pressure settings as they conflict

I did some extensive testing on my GAP .308 a few years back and had a ton of actual shooting data during the spring summer and winter at the TAC PRO range in central Texas. When I plugged my data it into my RSI ballistic lab program my data was very accurate. Actually it was dead on at 100 to 500 and 900 to 1000 yards but my intermediate ranges were somewhat off. Not by a lot but enough that I started tweaking my data input. By adjusting my actual measured G5 BC a few thousands and tweaking my scope height I was able to get my ballistic program to match my actual shooting data out to grand at every 100 yard increment. I’m not sure why but I attribute the scope height adjustment correction to my 20 moa bases. Some have argued with me it would make no difference and I tend to want to agree. However the proof was in the programs results.

Once I had this information I was went shooting in Colorado late one fall. I believe we were shooting around 8000 feet elevation and it was around 15 or 20 degrees outside. I ran the new data through my RSI program, my cold bore shot at 750 yards was center mass on the target. At what ever distance I shot that day, my program duplicated my actual shooting data.

I have pretty fair understanding of ballistics; I enjoy doing my own calculations and tinkering with the formulas to see if I can find a what if? I record a lot of range data and then work with my program to see if I can get extremely accurate results. It’s what I enjoy doing.

Hope it helps

Jeff,
I share your curiosity and interest in the variables involved in ballistics. Here's an interesting one regarding your BC's for the 220 SMK.

My measured G1 BC for this bullet is .607 (average from 3000 fps to 1500 fps), which is 3.5% lower than your value of .629.
However, our measured G7 BC's agree within 0.3% (my G7 BC is .310; practically identical to your .310).

I haven't calculated a G5 BC.

The above comparison of G1 vs G7 agreement goes to show how the minimal velocity sensitivity of the G7 standard results in more consistent observed BC's.

-Bryan

Thx so much for the time and effort Jeff. I too will be going to Colorado in a couple months to hunt elk......I assume the BC's that you gave are constant, even at 10k feet? I was previously just using the BC's that Sierra published, but they are quite different than what ya'll have come up with. Shoot me your phone number via PM, or I'll shoot you mine. I'd like to chat with ya for a bit on this, if you don't mind.
thx
jordan