• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

G7 BC for American Eagle 120gr OTM?

Rodney65

Private
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2018
Weird question but I am getting American Eagle 120gr OTM (SKU: AE65CRD2) for a good price. It shoots surprisingly well for cheap plinking ammo (3 shot groups usually half MOA) other than the POI being about 0.2 mrad high.

American Eagle/Federal lists a G1 BC of 0.421. I can not seem to find specifically what bullet is used in this load. I assumed Sierra but I can't find a 120 OTM.

Does anyone know exactly what bullet this is and/or an accurate G7 BC or the best substitute with Litz model available on AB?

Attachments

• 98090a2eb5fc5d605d2dffcf5ce1419c.jpg
    98090a2eb5fc5d605d2dffcf5ce1419c.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
My Kestrel app says the Sierra 120gr BTHP has a G7 of .213. That being said they are just going to be predictions since the data will still need to be trued to your gun, so the BC could change anyway.

Check out Gravity Ballistics here on the hide, it helps produce accurate try data without having to know your BC or MV.

Reactions: Nik H
My Kestrel app says the Sierra 120gr BTHP has a G7 of .213. That being said they are just going to be predictions since the data will still need to be trued to your gun, so the BC could change anyway.

Check out Gravity Ballistics here on the hide, it helps produce accurate try data without having to know your BC or MV.
Is there a difference between an Open Tip Match and BTHP or is it just different manufacturer's names?

The 0.421 G1 BC data lines up almost exactly with your 0.213 G7 out to 800 meters.

This isn't my "serious" ammo but I wanted to learn a bit more about it.

Is there a difference between an Open Tip Match and BTHP or is it just different manufacturer's names?
I don't know, I looked up the G1 for the Sierra 120 and it was .421 so I went to the Kestrel app, boop boop beeb boop, and it said .213. There's going to be a slight difference in trajectories when using G1 and G7 in my experience but if they're close then I'd say you're on the right path, true up as necessary. If you have good velocity data, true up the BC to match what you're seeing for impacts and if you don't have good velocity, adjust that instead of the BC.