• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

G7 Rangefinder - other comparable options?

Patton63

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 8, 2006
Northern Virginia
I have shot for a number of years, but mostly on known-distance ranges. My son and I are beginning to compete in club matches that will involve unknownt distance targets. We also will be taking trips for longer-range hunting opportunities (elk, aoudad, etc.). I am looking for a rangefinder that will provide accurate ballistic solutions (provided I enter the right data, etc). I know what the G7 offers. What I don't know is whether there are comparable or better options out there (preferably for less price). I know of no better place to ask this question than here. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

I have shot for a number of years, but mostly on known-distance ranges. My son and I are beginning to compete in club matches that will involve unknownt distance targets. We also will be taking trips for longer-range hunting opportunities (elk, aoudad, etc.). I am looking for a rangefinder that will provide accurate ballistic solutions (provided I enter the right data, etc). I know what the G7 offers. What I don't know is whether there are comparable or better options out there (preferably for less price). I know of no better place to ask this question than here. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Well I went with the Bushnell ConX, for a simple reason it has preset modes that you can pick and use for General hunting etc which are good for up to 1000 yards, but if you want to shoot out to a Mile, where the ConX differs from others is that it also has the Bushnell ConX App and Applied Ballistics so the ConX is as variable as the user wants to make it,

Bushnell claim that it sees Deer at 500 or 600 yards and Trees at 1000 or 1200 yards and out to 1760 on reflective targets, But it does see them a lot further than that, Because I have ranged Domestic Sheep at 877 yards and that was in bright sunlight with the worst mirage/ mist haze I have ever seen and I have seen a Video where one Guy ranges them at over 1100 meters, and I have Zapped 40 foot Trees at over 1371 yards and a shed at 1677, So I don't think a person needs anything else, That 1677 yards is one heck of a long way.

I always wanted the G7 but after using this one I am glad that I stayed with Bushnell,

hope this helps,

John.

Last edited:
Sig KILO2400ABS it outperformed the G7 in the testing that Bryan Litz did

Sig KILO2400ABS it outperformed the G7 in the testing that Bryan Litz did

What he said. I had a G7, Its a great unit. It helped me win my first competition! It didn't get me any first round hits a 1000 or past. I think thats where it begins to fall off in the accuracy of it solutions it provides you. I never hunted with it so I can't speak to that end(animals and such). I did range out to 2400 yards(very large rocks) with the first generation one. I sold it, acquired a CONX in a trade shortly after and it had impressive ranging qualities. The bullet custom profile seemed a little hooky? More set up for hunting. 10 hunting caliber profiles. Not a lot of inputs for solid data. It looked like it would take a of work to verify if you used it. I sold because of the sig 2400 was coming out and I got involved in the group buy here. Check out the Sig 2000($300-350 used) or ($450-500?)2200 if you have a kestrel with Applied ballistics. I've seen Gen 1 G7 for $850 on longrangehunting.com len beckus site in for sale section(used). Gen 2 G7 for $1000-1100. I sold my G7 for $1000. I got lucky!! Sig 2200 has the same laser capabilities as the new 2400, no AB solver inside.

I think you would be happy with any of these. Buy one that your budget allows and go shoot!!

Just to Clear some thing up, With the ConX,,, It does have 10 pre set Curves, Then you have the REG Mode where it provides just the "Line Of Sight" (True) distance, THEN it has the Rifle HD Mode where it provides the Line of Sight, And the Degree / Angle and the Horizontal Distance,

Next you have the AB Mode, where you Link it to the Kestrel Elite / Sportsman So you have FULL Access to the Applied Ballistics Software. Then you have the GUN 1, GUN 2, GUN 3 Modes where you have FULL Access to the Kestrel APP and you can Load and use these 4 modes to the Exact full extent as you do with any Shooting Apps that are Currently on the Market In order to use the Full Range of this Rangefinder, In Total the ConX has 16 Modes for you to choose from, And the only Limiting factors are the ones that the Shooter puts in their Own Way.

I have tested the ConX and I have Zapped Trees at 1371 yards in bright ever changing sun light and sheds at 1677 yards, I have ranged domestic sheep at 877 yards in bright sun light and in Extreme hazy conditions that was more like rain than Haze, I have seen people range sheep at over 1100 meters not yards using the ConX and @ the same Hazy location I ranged an old "GREY" Stone Church at a 25 degree angle @ 1485 yards and Zapping Crows and Pigeons at 287 yards, I have ranged small white marker pegs at 389 yards at the same location as above under the same conditions on the same day all within a 20 minute time slot.

The ConX is the one Rangefinder that does it all, and there are less than 2% of members here that can Actually shoot out to 1760 yards, So why people keep banging on about LRF's that can range 3 or 4k is ridiculous, and why people keep recommending them to members when you take in to account that Sig has over a 60% Failure Rate and there are so many people here that have had to send them back for replacement or another model is total stupidity,

Back 3 years ago everyone was raving on about the G7 or Terrapin's and if you could not afford one of them then the Leica 1600b, and because sig has made something that can range out to around 3k everyone is turning their backs on the models that have a proven history and trying to talk people in to the most unreliable LRF's ever made, And those of you that do have a good one it is just a matter of time before it goes South just like what has happened to everyone else's sig, Don't take my word for it, Just do a search on this forum alone and you will see the results facts and figures,

The G7 has been a Solid performer for the last 3 or 4 years as has the 1600b and the Bushnell 1 mile ARC, It is with good reason that the sig is cheaper than all the others and that is reflected in the reliability Issues that have been well documented on this and many other forums, It does not matter if it can range out to 20k's if you never know when it is going to break down or when you order one whether it is going to work or not, Sig might make good Gun's but their LRF's are a joke, and the sooner "WE" let them know how it is the sooner they will address their Quality Control Issues, It is easy for them just to send you out another one but that does nothing to correct the problem because and again it is just a matter of time before that one does the Sig "Two Step" and craps out.

I wish these Sig models did work as advertised, but they don't and everyone just keeps pushing them at people and that is plain wrong, People work hard for their money so they are entitled to get value for money, And pushing these things at people while not telling them the facts is fraud and just plain "Wrong" .

John.

Just to Clear some thing up, With the ConX,,, It does have 10 pre set Curves, Then you have the REG Mode where it provides just the "Line Of Sight" (True) distance, THEN it has the Rifle HD Mode where it provides the Line of Sight, And the Degree / Angle and the Horizontal Distance,

Next you have the AB Mode, where you Link it to the Kestrel Elite / Sportsman So you have FULL Access to the Applied Ballistics Software. Then you have the GUN 1, GUN 2, GUN 3 Modes where you have FULL Access to the Kestrel APP and you can Load and use these 4 modes to the Exact full extent as you do with any Shooting Apps that are Currently on the Market In order to use the Full Range of this Rangefinder, In Total the ConX has 16 Modes for you to choose from, And the only Limiting factors are the ones that the Shooter puts in their Own Way.

I have tested the ConX and I have Zapped Trees at 1371 yards in bright ever changing sun light and sheds at 1677 yards, I have ranged domestic sheep at 877 yards in bright sun light and in Extreme hazy conditions that was more like rain than Haze, I have seen people range sheep at over 1100 meters not yards using the ConX and @ the same Hazy location I ranged an old "GREY" Stone Church at a 25 degree angle @ 1485 yards and Zapping Crows and Pigeons at 287 yards, I have ranged small white marker pegs at 389 yards at the same location as above under the same conditions on the same day all within a 20 minute time slot.

The ConX is the one Rangefinder that does it all, and there are less than 2% of members here that can Actually shoot out to 1760 yards, So why people keep banging on about LRF's that can range 3 or 4k is ridiculous, and why people keep recommending them to members when you take in to account that Sig has over a 60% Failure Rate and there are so many people here that have had to send them back for replacement or another model is total stupidity,

Back 3 years ago everyone was raving on about the G7 or Terrapin's and if you could not afford one of them then the Leica 1600b, and because sig has made something that can range out to around 3k everyone is turning their backs on the models that have a proven history and trying to talk people in to the most unreliable LRF's ever made, And those of you that do have a good one it is just a matter of time before it goes South just like what has happened to everyone else's sig, Don't take my word for it, Just do a search on this forum alone and you will see the results facts and figures,

The G7 has been a Solid performer for the last 3 or 4 years as has the 1600b and the Bushnell 1 mile ARC, It is with good reason that the sig is cheaper than all the others and that is reflected in the reliability Issues that have been well documented on this and many other forums, It does not matter if it can range out to 20k's if you never know when it is going to break down or when you order one whether it is going to work or not, Sig might make good Gun's but their LRF's are a joke, and the sooner "WE" let them know how it is the sooner they will address their Quality Control Issues, It is easy for them just to send you out another one but that does nothing to correct the problem because and again it is just a matter of time before that one does the Sig "Two Step" and craps out.

I wish these Sig models did work as advertised, but they don't and everyone just keeps pushing them at people and that is plain wrong, People work hard for their money so they are entitled to get value for money, And pushing these things at people while not telling them the facts is fraud and just plain "Wrong" .

John.

Couldn't agree with you more on the Bushnell. I have a 1 Mile Arc, not the Conx, but I would bet the rangefinding capabilities are about the same. Bought a Kilo 2000 based on a friend's. It was POS. Would not range to the advertised specs, not even close. Sent it back and Sig sent a new one, which I sold. My bushnell will range pretty much anything you can see at a mile. I have had a Terrapin, and they are in a different class. Not comparable to a Bushnell or any of the Sig's. I would love to buy a 2400, but so far, I haven't seen enough glowing reviews to make me think it's any better than my Bushnell and Kestrel Elite. Granted, I rarely shoot past 1000 yds, but I don't want my rangefinder to be the limiting factor when I do. I just don't see spending the $ on a 2400 that "might" work fairly well, when I could spend a couple hundred $ more and get another Terrapin. Yes, I know the warranty situation, but I've only read about half a dozen people actually needing to warranty their Terrapin. There are probably twice that many sending their Kilo 2000's back because they can't range past 1000 yds, just in the thread on Scout. As much as I want to buy a 2400, there is no way I would spend that kind of dough on one at this point. I have not used a G7, so have no comment on them.

Leica1600B<Bushell 1 mile arc< Bushnell CONX= Sig 2000<Sig 2200<G7 Gen1<G7 Gen2< Sig Sauer Ab 2400< Terrapin. This is a well known fact, deal with it fan boys! Go cry somewhere else! I haven't said a bad thing about any range finder we are collectively talking about. I'd imagine less than 5% of people here shoot past a 1000 yards. A lot of hot air and talking is what's done here. I takes time and money to validate real results. Close to a scientific approach to minimize variables and attain real results. Is something not being done here. Void of brand loyalty, sticking up for what one owns and real world results are five different things. To test the actual products here, not just a back deck pictures and review, which is what most of use to validate a genuine product. I don't think I'll ever trust a review until I'm walked through every model of operation vs. Pro/cons of every said mode to make a real decision on fact based functions. The only devices, I know of being accurate of producing first round hits at 1200+ yards is a Kestrel 4500 NV AB(or better) and a Terrapin to a PLRF 15C. I haven't used a terrapin or anything in-between,but I'm aware of there capabilities.

360 posts as of this one. Full circle Bitches!!!!!!!

Here's a question, Am I back were I started? I think not!

Last edited:
Couldn't agree with you more on the Bushnell. I have a 1 Mile Arc, not the Conx, but I would bet the rangefinding capabilities are about the same. Bought a Kilo 2000 based on a friend's. It was POS. Would not range to the advertised specs, not even close. Sent it back and Sig sent a new one, which I sold. My bushnell will range pretty much anything you can see at a mile. I have had a Terrapin, and they are in a different class. Not comparable to a Bushnell or any of the Sig's. I would love to buy a 2400, but so far, I haven't seen enough glowing reviews to make me think it's any better than my Bushnell and Kestrel Elite. Granted, I rarely shoot past 1000 yds, but I don't want my rangefinder to be the limiting factor when I do. I just don't see spending the $ on a 2400 that "might" work fairly well, when I could spend a couple hundred $ more and get another Terrapin. Yes, I know the warranty situation, but I've only read about half a dozen people actually needing to warranty their Terrapin. There are probably twice that many sending their Kilo 2000's back because they can't range past 1000 yds, just in the thread on Scout. As much as I want to buy a 2400, there is no way I would spend that kind of dough on one at this point. I have not used a G7, so have no comment on them.

I agree, All the LRF's you mention can hold their own, and the Terrapin and the G7 were the top of the heap, But since Sig started making these cheap LRF's even some supporters of the G7 back when it was released have since had a change of heart/jumped ship, the crazy part about it is The G7 has not stopped Ranging just because sig have got someone to make and rebadge an LRF with the Sig name on it.

I would love for Sig to bring home the Bacon, But so many folks have made purchases that have led to disappointment only to have to return their LRF and wait another couple of weeks for a replacement, It Is wrong of Sig to put their Customers in the position of field Testers after investing their own money in a product in good faith just to have to return it within a short time, Using the General Public as Quality Control officers Is wrong, That should have been done prior to release, teething problems effect all companies but this is a bit OTT.

This is not about being a Fan Boy, It is about right from wrong, Bushnell, Vectronix and G7 and Leica etc take their time and don't try to rush products out the door, Heck Bushnell even gave 20,000 Bushnell 1 mile ARC Rangefinders ( The Sand Coloured ) Model to the US Army for Mortar and M19 Launcher Ranging, So if they work for the Army then they will do all we want.

I can't agree when people recommend Products to people when they/we all know that there is a problem with such Items, It's a matter of honor and respect for each other, We are all in this together on a Global scale but although we may never meet there is no reason to short sheet one another,

John.

I've heard 10 good reports to the:1 recent problem with a galaxy phone report where it wouldn't tap on the phone? Does anyone here think Applied ballistics would like to have there name on a product that isn't a working one. Of course their is going to be teething problem with a product linked to your phone with bluetooth? If you could name another product that works seamlessly with a phone, give me a shout? I'm personally looking to finding out the limitations of the sig 2400, good, bad and ugly. No product is the end all, be all. Limitations are the back bone of this sport,when you know them, you can bend them like any hobby/sport. I'm not short sheeting anyone or any one statement. Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one and they all stink!

I've heard 10 good reports to the:1 recent problem with a galaxy phone report where it wouldn't tap on the phone? Does anyone here think Applied ballistics would like to have there name on a product that isn't a working one. Of course their is going to be teething problem with a product linked to your phone with bluetooth? If you could name another product that works seamlessly with a phone, give me a shout? I'm personally looking to finding out the limitations of the sig 2400, good, bad and ugly. No product is the end all, be all. Limitations are the back bone of this sport,when you know them, you can bend them like any hobby/sport. I'm not short sheeting anyone or any one statement. Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one and they all stink!

Ian, I am not taking a cheap shot at you in my posts, I was generalising, If we keep these companies on their Toe's they will try harder to raise their Game and give us what we need along with products that will be all they can be, Companies like Leica and Zeiss and Swaro and Bushnell did not get where they are through making products and rushing them out the door, Very rarely will you hear a complaint about Swaro and Zeiss etc because their standards are that high they know that if a product passes they standards it will surely pass ours,

John.

No cheap shots anywhere to be had. I want all the same things, all as shoots want? To get what they "Pay for", I'm all for calling a spade a spade! I don't want to be a beta tester as much as the next guy. But, if you don't look high or low for problems, test the perimeters or parameters? Your not doing anyone, but yourself a dis-service, to find the faults and prove backwards and forwards it works, no questions, that the (Whatever LRF) works, than its on you? I on the other hand, am human and have many faults. I say keep them on their heels, with facts, demanding improvements needed. People like Bryan Litz are on the forefront of the truth for long range shooting community. Just like LowLight. No, Ifs, ands or Butts. The only thing that matters is verified, repeatable results, with facts backing them up. When people aren't willing to go the distance to do their own homework to verify it works for them(time invested), than there are fools willing to part with their money, every second of the day!

Lowlight is a very clever and a good person and has always been there to help out. Respect.

I saw something like this happen in the metal detecting world last year and it almost caused wars between friends in the detecting community, Companies should field test their own products, The Sig LRF's have the power etc, they just need to test them to the limits so they will stand the rigors of being out in the field then they will have a first class product.

John.

Lowlight is a very clever and a good person and has always been there to help out. Respect.

I saw something like this happen in the metal detecting world last year and it almost caused wars between friends in the detecting community, Companies should field test their own products, The Sig LRF's have the power etc, they just need to test them to the limits so they will stand the rigors of being out in the field then they will have a first class product.

John.

I believe LowLight popped up beginning of this week and said the ranging capabilities were awesome in the Sig 2400 this last weekend. Nothing more, nothing less! We are the cutting edge of long range shooting, together as a community. We are here to make the impossible, possible? And then Frank steps back in and bitch slaps us for a good reason. 20 shoots at 4000yards isn't a record. Its blasting to no end. First hit, success. Second hit means its repeatable and you do what you say you can do. I look forward to my sample size of one and making my own mind up about the Sig 2400. Crap in, Crap out. It's on me. Being a person of reason, if i can't make it work. I will analyze every input and reverse engineer results, cross checking data, before fingers are pointed to a manufacturer for fixes. BOLD CLAIMS HERE.

4000 yards, Lol. that is a bit of a walk for sure, kind of makes it impossible to see without a forward base, I do wonder how they got such a small LRF to range so far

4000 yards, Lol. that is a bit of a walk for sure, kind of makes it impossible to see without a forward base, I do wonder how they got such a small LRF to range so far

(Record breaking????) shot wasn't this last weekend. Frank was ranging out to around a mile(1780ish?) on a IPSC 20"x40" torso with the Sig 2400. It worked.