• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

GA Precision GAP 10 Performance evaluation

ssatt68

Sergeant
Minuteman
Evaluation conducted by Scott Satterlee and Ryan Castle from PMG LLC www.precisionmultigun.com

Scott Satterlee is currently active duty Army serving within US Army Special Forces Command with multiple combat tours.

Ryan Castle is a sponsored shooter with US Optics, Southwest Ammo, and former US Army Sniper with multiple combat tours.

Rifle Specifications:
GAP-10 upper and lower receiver
1-11 5R Bartlein Stainless 16.5”
Single Stage Match trigger, tuned to 3 1/2 pounds
POF Sniper/Hunter hand-guard unitized to upper receiver
POF Big Handle with Badger Ordnance Tac-Latch
Badger Ordnance one piece scope mount 34mm
.875 Mk-12 style stainless steel gas block
Badger Ordnance Universal Safety
Titan Break
Magpul PRS stock

Scope:
USO SN/3, 3X17, TPAL, EREC, MIL MPR, 35mm tube and 44mm objective

Ammo used:
Southwest Ammunition, 175 grain match win brass

The rifle was sent to us for testing, evaluation and to eventually be shot in the Mammoth Sniper Challenge Winter 2012 match. GA Precision sent the rifle in a hard case with all of the key components bubble wrapped, it was secured and in perfect working order right out of the box. The fit and finish of this rifle was flawless. The closer you inspect the rifle, the more you pick up on the attention to detail involved in the production of this rifle. Perfect fit between the upper and lower receiver, smooth bolt movement, solid attachment between all parts, etc. It is truly a piece of precision art.
First step was to attach the USO SN3 3.2X17 using the GAP 20 moa mount built by Badger Ordinance for the GAP 10. The mount, optic and rifle matched up perfect, creating one solid system. The rifle was then zeroed and put through a few grouping tests. A series of 5 shot groups were conducted from the prone position using bipod and rear bag. The rifle consistently preformed better than advertised putting up groups averaging sub ¾” edge to edge. With such good results on the grouping exercise the only reasonable test to perform next would be the tough dot drill. As we found out, not so tough with the GAP 10. The rifle was able to center punch 12 of the 15, ¾ inch dots on the first attempt.

Four days before the Mammoth match we linked up in Cookeville TN to gather data and conduct much needed pre match practice. We confirmed our 100 yard zero and went to work. The temperature was 33 degrees, density altitude was -1200 feet and we had a 3-5 mph wind form the SW. We set up 10” steel plates at 200, 300, 400, 500, 600 and 700 yards. The plan was to back into our data on the Shooter ballistics program. We gathered data and backed into a MV of about 2560fps. At this point in time we were genuinely and universally impressed at the consistency and accuracy of the GAP-10, especially considering the long strings and low recovery time we stressed the rifle with.

Once our long range data was gathered we began practicing shooting from alternate positions including; sitting, kneeling and standing, both from free hand and from barricades. The rifle is light, but surprisingly well balanced and with the 16.5 inch barrel it handled more like an M-4 based work gun rather than a heavy 308 based precision rifle. The trigger was crisp which made it very easy to predict break. As we all know this is crucial with a less than stable shooting solution. The mid length gas system and Titan break produced very soft recoil which aided in spotting impact and allowed fast follow up shots. Our practice with the rifle produced an immense amount of confidence for the upcoming match.

Mammoth Sniper Challenge stages were designed in a fashion that enabled the secondary shooter to rack up a ton of points. The secondary targets ranged from 15 yards to 600 yards and presented a number of choices in how the shooter chose to attack the stage. In field fire stages the secondary shooter usually had three targets that had to be shot from two positions. The shooter could chose from prone, kneeling or standing with a point value of 1, 2 and 3 respectively. The handling characteristics and accuracy of the GAP 10 enabled us to feel extremely confident shooting from the standing and kneeling. We were able to clean two of the six stages and only drop a total of 8 secondary targets. Every missed shot was operator induced and called. The rifle ran like a sewing machine with the SW 175gr match. A total of 261 rounds were fired during this test with zero malfunctions of any kind.

Our overall impression is that the GAP 10 has bolt gun accuracy while allowing the handling and ergonomics of a small frame AR. This rifle is a must have tool for an application in which the user needs superb accuracy, fast follow up shot capability and durability in a manageable package. Combined we have shot everything from the M14, SR25,FN SCAR, M110 and tons in between, and we truly feel that the GAP 10 is by far the best shooting SA platform out there.
v/r
Scott Satterlee & Ryan Castle

Re: GA Precision GAP 10 Performance evaluation

A big thanks to George and the whole crew at GAP. Thank you for the opportunity to test and run such and outstanding weapon system.

All I want to echo what Scott and Ryan have said in this post. My partner Dave ran my Gap10 at Mammoth with the following stats:

GAP10
16.5" .308
PRS Stock
Surefire Brake
Henny 4-16 with NH1

We accidentally screwed up and ordered the 7.62x51mm vs the 308win version of the FGGM. There was no noticeable difference when we ran the ammo, it didn't miss a beat and pounded everything out there.

To put it bluntly....it ran like a sewing machine. Dave missed a total of 3 standing and 1 kneeling shot the entire match with it. He did not lay down and shoot prone if the option existed to shoot kneeling or standing.

We lubed it once at the beginning and did not lube it through out the rest of the match. There no were no hangups, no failed ejections, nothing...it ran period.

Prior to the match we had it out at the local range and were slapping a 1" hostage target 3 out of 4 times at 500 yards.

Right now if you are looking for a Bolt Gun replacement that allows quick follow ups, while allowing Bolt Gun type accuracy in my opinion there is nothing better out there.

I've owned a LT OBR and a KAC EMC and neither of those guns with higher price points are the equal of the GAP10.

Gentlemen welcome to the future of a Semi Auto platform in the precision rifle world.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poison123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All I want to echo what Scott and Ryan have said in this post. My partner Dave ran my Gap10 at Mammoth with the following stats:

GAP10
16.5" .308
PRS Stock
Surefire Brake
Henny 4-16 with NH1

We accidentally screwed up and ordered the 7.62x51mm vs the 308win version of the FGGM. There was no noticeable difference when we ran the ammo, it didn't miss a beat and pounded everything out there.

To put it bluntly....it ran like a sewing machine. Dave missed a total of 3 standing and 1 kneeling shot the entire match with it. He did not lay down and shoot prone if the option existed to shoot kneeling or standing.

We lubed it once at the beginning and did not lube it through out the rest of the match. There no were no hangups, no failed ejections, nothing...it ran period.

Prior to the match we had it out at the local range and were slapping a <span style="color: #33CC00">1" hostage target 3 out of 4 times at 500 yards.</span>

Right now if you are looking for a Bolt Gun replacement that allows quick follow ups, while allowing Bolt Gun type accuracy in my opinion there is nothing better out there.

I've owned a LT OBR and a KAC EMC and neither of those guns with higher price points are the equal of the GAP10.

Gentlemen welcome to the future of a Semi Auto platform in the precision rifle world.

</div></div>

A 1" target at 500 yards?

My bad it was 2" @ 500 yards. Just measure the flapper.

GAP has been doing Semi's a long time, much longer than most realize and they have it down -- flat.

Hype machines, freebies, and fanboys aside, the GAP10 is the most accurate one out of the bunch. Reliability, forget about it.

The GAP10 is a hell of a semi auto rifle. I love mine.
Just ordered a 20" upper with adj gas block..... will be rocking it with the SF 762SS after Shot Show!

Very nice write up on the GAP-10. Reading this almost makes me wanna sell my POF and get a GAP-10...almost.
smile.gif
Perhaps I should just save my pennies and purchase one.

I was perfectly content and waiting patiently for my Gap-10 that's on order. Now I read this thread and all patience have gone out the window. Thanks a lot!

David M

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very nice write up on the GAP-10. Reading this almost makes me wanna sell my POF and get a GAP-10...almost.
smile.gif
Perhaps I should just save my pennies and purchase one. </div></div>

You've got the lower, just buy a second upper.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lwrkeysfisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very nice write up on the GAP-10. Reading this almost makes me wanna sell my POF and get a GAP-10...almost.
smile.gif
Perhaps I should just save my pennies and purchase one. </div></div>

You've got the lower, just buy a second upper.</div></div>

Very good point you make! I'll have to give the shop a call to find out what pricing would be for the upper only.

I just bought an upper today, i believe it was 1550+ options.

Can you request how you would want "your" GAP-10 to look? Say i wanted a M110 looking GAP-10?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blackops_2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can you request how you would want "your" GAP-10 to look? Say i wanted a M110 looking GAP-10? </div></div>

Thats a question for George. I think one of the Team Blaster guys had the standard POF handguards put on, but I'm not sure if the URX is compatible with heatsink/barrelnut combo on the GAP10.

Do they offer it in 6.5 Creedmoor? If so I will probably be getting one when tax refund comes in
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DamnYuppie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do they offer it in 6.5 Creedmoor? If so I will probably be getting one when tax refund comes in
smile.gif
</div></div>

Oh yea they do.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DamnYuppie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do they offer it in 6.5 Creedmoor? If so I will probably be getting one when tax refund comes in
smile.gif
</div></div>

Yes.

This thread is no surprise and is something we already knew. I think you could plaster just about any GAP10 owners member name at the top and they'd say the same thing...this is one amazing weapon and you'd have to fight me for it.

Nice review and good shooting. My experience with it are practically identical and I've been running mine like a dog. I should be ready to post a 5000 round report by the end of winter.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KNIGHT11B4</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DamnYuppie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do they offer it in 6.5 Creedmoor? If so I will probably be getting one when tax refund comes in
smile.gif
</div></div>

Oh yea they do. </div></div>

Never thought I would be saying this but "come on IRS lets do this"!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poison123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Thats a question for George. I think one of the Team Blaster guys had the standard POF handguards put on, but I'm not sure if the URX is compatible with heatsink/barrelnut combo on the GAP10.</div></div>

Sometime ago i could've swore i remember seeing a GAP-10 with DD rails or might have been KAC or something similar. I think it was before George was using the POF design though. Can't remember when or where i saw it, i just know i was under the impression it was some time ago.

Here's the thread, maybe it's not a GAP-10 and i was just mistaken, doesn't seem the owner clarifies.

https://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2185717

24y7ju8.jpg

The video should go right to 2:05 where they're holding a GAP-10 with DD rails.
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dez9mJr7upI&t=2m5s"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dez9mJr7upI&t=2m5s" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Yes very cool write up!!!!!!!!

I bought a GAP10 but had it built in .260Rem. Just shot it for the first time New Years weekend and all I can say is the gun turned out great like was expected.

I mounted a US Optics 3-17x scope on mine.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Frank Green</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes very cool write up!!!!!!!!

I bought a GAP10 but had it built in .260Rem. Just shot it for the first time New Years weekend and all I can say is the gun turned out great like was expected.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels </div></div>

Great minds think alike Frank !!! mines a 260 also its a shooter for sure thanks for the top notch barrel .....Isaac

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blackops_2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poison123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Thats a question for George. I think one of the Team Blaster guys had the standard POF handguards put on, but I'm not sure if the URX is compatible with heatsink/barrelnut combo on the GAP10.</div></div>

Sometime ago i could've swore i remember seeing a GAP-10 with DD rails or might have been KAC or something similar. I think it was before George was using the POF design though. Can't remember when or where i saw it, i just know i was under the impression it was some time ago.

Here's the thread, maybe it's not a GAP-10 and i was just mistaken, doesn't seem the owner clarifies.

24y7ju8.jpg

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dez9mJr7upI&t=2m5s"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dez9mJr7upI&t=2m5s" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object> </div></div> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blackops_2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poison123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

24y7ju8.jpg

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dez9mJr7upI&t=2m5s"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dez9mJr7upI&t=2m5s" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object> </div></div>

That is an older Gap built AR-10. The new GAP-10 uses the new POF/Hogan Handguard.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: captain zeke</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Frank Green</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes very cool write up!!!!!!!!

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels </div></div>

Great minds think alike Frank !!! mines a 260 also its a shooter for sure thanks for the top notch barrel .....Isaac </div></div>

Your welcome Isaac!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!