• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

GA Precision PPR vs. Bad Rock South Fork

spoonz

Private
Minuteman
Jan 25, 2020
I realize there is a lot of preference to this question, but I'm interested in your opinions. Please disregard if this bothers you.

I recently ordered the GAP rifle but having second thoughts, slightly leaning toward the Bad rock South Fork. I can cancel for $200. My use for the rifle will be target shooting from 200-1500 yards, and hunting if I draw a tag. (Pronghorn, Ibex, Muledeer, Oryx, and maybe elk)

Personal pros and cons of the GAP rifle
Neg-Not available in 6.5cm, ordered mine in 6cm
Neg-The stock is not modular
Pos-Bartlein Barrel

Personal pros and cons of the Bad Rock South Fork
Neg-The stock doesnt seem very comfortable
Neg-Does'nt have the Bartlein barrel
Pros-Avail in 6.5cm
Pros-I think the coned bolt nose and fixed ejector would be nice

Ultimately, I think the Bad Rock put in a folding whiskey 3 would be best for me. Concerned it may not balance nicely though. Considering getting both rifles but I'm into the PPR for almost $3,000 with add-ons. ( 419 ARCA rail, 2 flush cups, 2 mags and shipping)

Some other small details are the GAP rifle has a nitrided action and scope rail included. The action is a defiance tenacity and the recoil is integrated. Also, they offer pre-fit barrels for $850

Some other small details about the Badrock rifle are no coatings on action, scope rail is not included, the recoil lug is integrated. Also, they can rebarrel in house for $650.

I was able to hold both rifles at the 2020 shot show and the GAP felt a little better in my hands.

Here are two links to the GAP PPR if you're not familiar.

If you are going to replace the chassis on a South Fork why not just grab an action/barrel from Defiance? As a package it was basically built for PRS Production class(hence the slightly sub $2k price tag).

Last edited:
Reactions: Redvanes
I say stick with the GA precision, based on their stellar reputation and I feel it’s a better build for a “do all” rig. It’s a bit more money then the bad rock build with all the extras added on or about equal when you factor in the W3 chassis but you know the PPR will shoot and if there’s an issue George will make it right.

I'm sure you wouldn't go wrong with either choice. That being said, absolutely stoked with my 6.5 Badrock. The fit/finish is perfect and the first 5 shot group was 0.6 MOA. I WILL be getting another in 6 CM.

Reactions: Defiance Machine
Considering the game you plan to hunt, I would go for the 6.5 Creedmoor option. A 6mm is pretty light for most of the animals you mentioned.

I think either will do the job. If it were me, I’d use it for what it’s designed for and also get a production hunting rifle for hunting. ORRRR, still cancel your order and get a barreled action from Altus or wherever and put it in your stock of choice

I decided to stick with the GAP. I'm very new to precision rifles but it in person it was amazing. Solid, smooth, balanced, and comfortable. It seems like everything on the rifle is high to very high grade. Also the reputation. George was really down to earth at SHOT. The guys that work/shoot for him seem to have a ton of knowledge and integrity. I'm thinking about picking up a 6.5CM Tikka CTR if I draw some tags. Or if the GAP rifle is really really nice I might have them put something together. Hopefully I can shoot a dingle berry off a gnats ass clinging to a dogs ass with my new PPR. (I stole that line from a different post)

Planning to order the BT65 CAL GEN 2 for the GAP rifle. Gotta get a scope, bore guide, and nice cleaning rod too

One other thing....my original post stated the badrock was using integrated recoil lug. That was a copy/paste error on my part. They were using a pinned at the time of shot.

I decided to stick with the GAP. I'm very new to precision rifles but it in person it was amazing. Solid, smooth, balanced, and comfortable. It seems like everything on the rifle is high to very high grade. Also the reputation. George was really down to earth at SHOT. The guys that work/shoot for him seem to have a ton of knowledge and integrity. I'm thinking about picking up a 6.5CM Tikka CTR if I draw some tags. Or if the GAP rifle is really really nice I might have them put something together. Hopefully I can shoot a dingle berry off a gnats ass clinging to a dogs ass with my new PPR. (I stole that line from a different post)

Planning to order the BT65 CAL GEN 2 for the GAP rifle. Gotta get a scope, bore guide, and nice cleaning rod too
I ordered a scope from GAP one time and I had an issue with it and wanted to return it. George replied and told me to give him a phone call, he would like to talk to me. I was like holy #$@! he is about to grill me lol. George is extremely down to earth and has a true passion in this world and cares about his customers.

They are both fine rifles, but it sounds like you would be better off picking out all the parts you want and having someone put it together for you.

Sounds like you just buy a barreled bartlein action, and then put it in a stock that would be comfortable. There are tons of barreled actions you can get at 1500 or under ready to go now at various top shops, and you can get a chassis/stock for about a grand especially if you grab a used one off the PX.