• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

GA precision team rifle review 6mm Creed

Jthom091

Private
Minuteman
Dec 12, 2012
Virginia
I've searched the internet high and low and can not find many reviews of the GAP team rifle. I am contemplating purchasing a new rifle for PRS (currently using a RPR in 6mm Creed and I am very new to PRS). I began looking into GA precision by searching for what equipment PRS pros are using (dont know how accurate this information is). I was wondering if anyone has any experience with GA precision and their rifles, customer service, etc. I am open to other options as well. Thanks in advance

While GAP makes a great off the shelf rifle, I look at them more of a boutique rifle. At that point you’re paying for the name. You could build the same rifle for thousands less going with any popular action/prefit barrel and your stock of choice. Just my humble 2 cents...

I own several GAP rifles, and they're excellent, but I would go to a match with your RPR. I've never met anyone who wouldn't let me finger-bang their rifle and look through their scope. It's not like asking to ride someone's Harley, or asking to try out their old lady. Pretty much everyone will be happy to show you their rifle and tell you what they like and don't like about their rig, and that's going to be ten thousand times more illuminating than the internet, here, or What The Pros Use. Most of us find the use of the word "Pros" somewhat dubious anyway.

I've been a long time GA Precision customer, and I am running a modified version of the team rifle (Tempest action, 26" Bartlein GAP#6, but in a PDC Custom chassis instead of a manners), and I have been very happy with it. I'm coming up on 10k rounds on that action now (shot out 3x 6 Creed barrels, 1400+ rounds into #4, plus I have a spare with 100 on it and over 1k on my SAUM bolt and barrel for the same action), with 0 issues outside of the rare magazine hiccup (bent feed lip on an AW, another AW that developed a burr in the front wall that I fixed with a file in about 10 seconds). GAP does amazing work on rifle builds, and their customer service is excellent, despite how much shit we give Ken on a regular basis.

Edit to add: That said, you don't need to be too wrapped up in buying a custom to jump into PRS unless you just have the disposable income and want to do it. There's no reason you can't take your RPR to a few PRS matches and see if this is going to be the 'thing' for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jthom091 and Fig
I have a GA Precision Templar Hunter in 300 Win mag for a hunting rifle. It's a fantastic rifle. Very accurate and fit and finish is great. I had a small issue with the floor plate. Sent them an email via their contact page about the problem. Within a day they called and sent a return shipping label to send the rifle in for repair. In under a week, it was headed back to me. That was my first experience with their CS and I was very impressed.

Overall, GAP builds a great rifle. As good as any out there.

Reactions: Jthom091
While GAP makes a great off the shelf rifle, I look at them more of a boutique rifle. At that point you’re paying for the name. You could build the same rifle for thousands less going with any popular action/prefit barrel and your stock of choice. Just my humble 2 cents...
You're always paying for a name unless you throw the dice and pay for someone's first go at machining a rifle...
GAP just happens to consistently put out fantastic rifles and they stand behind them 100%. You don't have to worry it's going to be fugged up when you drop your hard won coin, and they'll make it right if for some reason it isn't. If you've ever gone round and round with a supposedly "precision" rifle that costs thousands and thousands of dollars and wouldn't shoot for shit, the maker won't make it right, and you bought an expensive paperweight you might be willing to avoid the lowest bidder on the project.

Also, George is one of the few manufacturers who competes and shoots with us. To me that also goes a long way.
He also creates ferocious wild-cat cartridges!

You're always paying for a name unless you throw the dice and pay for someone's first go at machining a rifle...GAP just happens to consistently put out a fantastic rifles and they stand behind them 100%. You don't have to worry it's going to be fugged up when you drop your hard won coin, and they'll make it right if for some reason it isn't. If you've ever gone round and round with a supposedly "precision" rifle that costs thousands and thousands of dollars and wouldn't shoot for shit, the maker won't make it right, and you bought an expensive paperweight you might be willing to avoid the lowest bidder on the project.

I don't think that people who've never had to deal with a "custom" build gone to shit appreciate how valuable the piece of mind that comes from buying from a well respected and established business is.

I own several GAP rifles, and they're excellent, but I would go to a match with your RPR. I've never met anyone who wouldn't let me finger-bang their rifle and look through their scope. It's not like asking to ride someone's Harley, or asking to try out their old lady. Pretty much everyone will be happy to show you their rifle and tell you what they like and don't like about their rig, and that's going to be ten thousand times more illuminating than the internet, here, or What The Pros Use. Most of us find the use of the word "Pros" somewhat dubious anyway.

I think this is also great advise, I have a match coming up and will be using my RPR. I wanted to put my hands on a GA before buying if at all possible, but also trust the experience of this forum and was hoping there would be some good information here as well (there is). Thanks guys. Feel free to suggest other brands as well I have also heard great things about LRI and Stueville precision.

To echo some of the statements above I would use what you have and spend the money on match fees and ammo to practice with. The RPR is a capable rifle and while it doesn't have all the bells and whistles of a GAP, it will allow you to grow into the sport and decide if you like it. There are many other pieces of gear that I would purchase first. The main one of those is glass.

Thanks guys, currently have a Steiner T5Xi 5-25X56 on my RPR. I have no problems with the RPR set up its a great gun, and consistently 1/2 moa shooter. I am not so much asking the most cost efficient way to shoot competitions. I am more interested in you guys thoughts and experience with GAP and if you have suggestions on other competitive brands such as the above mentioned LRI and Stueville precision?

Thanks guys, currently have a Steiner T5Xi 5-25X56 on my RPR. I have no problems with the RPR set up its a great gun, and consistently 1/2 moa shooter. I am not so much asking the most cost efficient way to shoot competitions. I am more interested in you guys thoughts and experience with GAP and if you have suggestions on other competitive brands such as the above mentioned LRI and Stueville precision?

If you already have your heart set on an upgrade, it's hard to go wrong with GAP. There's a lot of good gunsmiths out there, but you'd be VERY hard pressed to find a shop that consistently puts out better quality.

Reactions: Jthom091 and Fig
I've gotten 3 rifles from GAP in the last few years including my first ever custom and they have all been amazing so I wouldn't sway anyone from them unless there were time/budget constraints.

I'm currently using a build I pieced together with an Impact action so I've gotten all my barrels from Stuteville P. and they have been absolute hammers. I'd not even think of worrying getting something from him.

No experience with LRI but I've heard great things.

After doing some more research I am leaned toward purchasing a Stuteville R1036. Do any of you guys have any experience or thoughts on Stuteville precision? Thanks again guys

Reactions: Fig
After doing some more research I am leaned toward purchasing a Stuteville R1036. Do any of you guys have any experience or thoughts on Stuteville precision? Thanks again guys

If the Impact and Foundation combo tickles your fancy and checks all the boxes for you, then that's certainly a great option to go with. I'm sure you would be really happy with that rifle.

If you go foundation, inquire if they have any stocks with the marbled look(dark distressed?). Pretty impressive in person, imo.

Another GAP fan here. Great people, innovative, great customer service and most of the +/- 20 gunsmiths compete/shoot in one shooting sport or another, especially PRS. Fortunately they are local to me.

I don’t own a Gap but some friends do and that’s a solid rifle. There are other reputable builders you could try as well. DMR LLC have done a few builds for me and theylir rifles and CS are excellent. The owner shoots matches as well. Others that come to mind are SAC, Long Rifles Inc, etc
Just call around...

You guys are great thanks again for all the much appreciated feedback /. information / reviews.

I have a GA Precision Templar Hunter in 300 Win mag for a hunting rifle. It's a fantastic rifle. Very accurate and fit and finish is great. I had a small issue with the floor plate. Sent them an email via their contact page about the problem. Within a day they called and sent a return shipping label to send the rifle in for repair. In under a week, it was headed back to me. That was my first experience with their CS and I was very impressed.

Overall, GAP builds a great rifle. As good as any out there.
I have just purchased my first rifle from GAP and you are right!!! Their customer service is great and they stand behind their work.

I have a few GAPs, including this Team Rifle (Tempest)

Here's a mini review by pictures..... (first 3 rounds out of it)

tempest.jpg

tempest-target.jpg

Reactions: Hollywood 6mm