• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Gain twist 308

smead45

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 28, 2010
Illinois
Looking for advice on a gain twist 308 barrel. What would be the optimal twist for a 20 inch barrel that will see mostly 168gr to 175gr but be able to handle 200+gr. Looking to build a duty / hunting setup.

I should read more carefully.
Bartlein will make a gain twist. I’d call and get straight from the horse.

Reactions: RTH1800
I like the velocity increase without the pressure signs. I also like the capability shooting a wide variety of bullet weights.

I’ve been reading about gain twist and watched some YouTube videos in the last couple of hours. The way I understand it, it looks like a gain twist will have less pressure due to the slow rifling (able to move the bullet into the barrel faster). In theory this should increase barrel life, unless you take advantage of the lower pressure and decide to use more powder. This is some pretty cool stuff.

Ok I have no gain twist experience but a lot of 308 and various twist rate experience. So here’s my .02.
If your shooting factory ammo or loading random projectiles of less than match standards get the 1-10. If your running quality projectiles get the 1-8. The faster twist rates seem to magnify the poor quality of lesser projectiles. The benefit of the faster twist is seen in the trans sonic and sub sonic ranges. No benefit in super sonic ranges that I have Experienced. Just my experience. I’m no expert just a old 308 fan.
I might try the gain twist some day but the data is to sparse for now. I’ve also never had pressure issues with the 1-8. But then again I load for accuracy not velocity so that might play a part. Good lock on your build.