• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Gain Twist Barrels 308 Win

Changed

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Nov 13, 2012
    All,

I am in the process of choosing parts for my next build. I'm interested in a gain twist .308 barrel for 308 Win. shooting 185. Do you have a twist recommendation?

Thanks,

i find this useful for reference, although it may be specific to Berger pills

What have you found lacking in traditional twist? What bullet/speed combination are you wanting to run and what do you expect the gain twist to do?

As .308 win tend to have a long throat and barrel life, I too am curious why you want a progressive twist......

i'm also curious as i don't know much about those barrels.
    maybe you get lower pressure, less copper fouling and longer barrel life of slower twist barrels with the advantages of a higher twist rate for heavier bullets that don't stabilize with a 1:12 twist?

Berger spin chart has all their bullets listed with velocities and recommend spin for all. Bartlein is always happy to help with gain twist recommendations. It’s seems they usually suggest unity twist reduction. 9 to 8, or 8 to 7. I’ve seen some very dramatic twist rate increases that they did for members of this site. I suspect they will do anything for you as long as it’s safe.
    I still enjoy shooting 308, it makes shooting flatter rifles much easier. Great, affordable practice with SOME of the cheaper off the shelf ammo . Let us know what you do and how it works.
    Thanks

The think the main benefit of light gain twist like 8.25-7.5 is for newer high bc bullets with long bearing surfaces. Initially you don’t but as much pressure on the bullet with a slower twist rate. I don’t really see this applying to most 308 bullets. I could see how a Left twist might helpful.

.75 twist rate difference changes nothing in regards to pressure or velocity. The use of extremely fast twist rates by some haven't changed pressure or velocity.
    It's been my experience that there are no advantages to a gain twist. There are to many variables to reliably point to just one thing. In the extreme it can be detrimental to accuracy.

Reactions: Ledzep