• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gain Twist Barrels

Malcolm1982

Private
Minuteman
Jul 10, 2012
Franklinton, La
Been listening to the Everyday Sniper Podcast and Frank has mentioned the use and benefits of a gain twist barrel. I understand the reasoning and logic behind the use of a gain twist barrel but I have one concern about them. My concern is that if purchase a gain twist barrel blank and cut it down that you would be getting the full benefit out of the barrel. What I mean by that is, lets say you purchase a 1-8 to 7 twist barrel and barrel blank come in 26" lengths, but you want a 22" barrel and not the 26". When you cut the barrel down to 22" could you possible not have a 1-8 to 7 twist barrel and real end up with 1-8 to lets say 7.6 twist barrel? Or do the barrel manufactures cut the barrel to the desired size before cutting the rifling to avoid not having the true desired ending twist rate?

So if this has been asked before. It is something that has my mind intrigued.

MALCOLM

Hmmm interesting injust got my 31" 30cal finish to 30" but im thinking of cutting it down to 28" its 1.9:25-1.8:50
Maybe i should call bartlein :)

Been listening to the Everyday Sniper Podcast and Frank has mentioned the use and benefits of a gain twist barrel. I understand the reasoning and logic behind the use of a gain twist barrel but I have one concern about them. My concern is that if purchase a gain twist barrel blank and cut it down that you would be getting the full benefit out of the barrel. What I mean by that is, lets say you purchase a 1-8 to 7 twist barrel and barrel blank come in 26" lengths, but you want a 22" barrel and not the 26". When you cut the barrel down to 22" could you possible not have a 1-8 to 7 twist barrel and real end up with 1-8 to lets say 7.6 twist barrel? Or do the barrel manufactures cut the barrel to the desired size before cutting the rifling to avoid not having the true desired ending twist rate?

So if this has been asked before. It is something that has my mind intrigued.

MALCOLM
I just spoke with bartlein..they say if its couple to few inches from intended length youll be fine.but if 7-8" or longer it will change the twist towards muzzle

Reactions: Malcolm1982