• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gain twist for 243 ackley?

Alabama556

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • May 15, 2008
    Birmingham, AL
    I am about to order 400MOD bartlien for my 243 ackley. I have plenty of life left on my current barrel and wanted to order one to have when I need it in a few years.

I shoot 90 grain accubonds and Berger 105’s. The burgers are the target bullet but not the hybrid or the vld.

I was going to try something different and get a left hand gain twist. I just thought it would be fun to try since I have to order it and I am in no hurry.

Am I crazy?

Any recommendations on the twist specifications?

7-8 twist to ensure you can shoot heavy 115s without any worry but it’ll still sling 90s really fast and comfortably. The super light varmint bullets may have an issue with it but it doesn’t sound like you care about that.

Edit: or did you mean for both gains, I think most recommend like a 20-25% max increase so a 10 to 8 or a 9 to 7 etc. Most aren’t even that drastic and are like 9 to 8 or 8 to 7
    Going from a 14 to a 7 wouldn’t work so well.

I’ve been pondering the same thing for a 243ai for awhile now. Just haven’t brung myself to pull the trigger yet

Last edited:
    I have a 1/8 now. I did not know what a good starting and ending twist would be. I will call bartlien this week.

I don’t shoot any bullets lighter than 90 grains

I have a 1/8 now. I did not know what a good starting and ending twist would be. I will call bartlien this week.

I don’t shoot any bullets lighter than 90 grains
    I dont think it matters much, just pick a final twist that will do the job(8 for example), and add 1/2-3/4” to get the starting twist. Bartlein recommendation is less than 1” of gain. That also coincides with the price break for gain twist(significantly more expensive for over an inch of gain).

I was told that the gain twist barrels have a larger benefit from a bigger diameter bullet. On 6.5mm I elected not to do it citing limited benefit and a significant cost/lead time.