• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Galil Ace 11.8” 7.62x51/.308 experiences?

hypno02

Not Politically Correct
Banned !
Minuteman
Jul 23, 2006
South Dakota
Hey guys,

I have a serious itch for a galil and my thorough research leads me to believe the 7.62x51’s are a truly unique platform. A legit challenger to the scar.

If I were to buy the 11.8” .308 pistol I would:

1. Be mainly using it defensively against large 4 legged bear type animals in the mountains while trail riding in my ranger. Low round count. (I like the idea of the AK for this being there’s going to be a ton of dust. Does a sealed AR do just as good? Idfk)

2. Potentially work the “pistol” into a truck gun role. Again. Low round count.

3. Suppress it for doing night time hood rat shit with lasers and cat eyes. Again—low round count.

I mention low round count because I don’t believe these rifles to be easily re-barreled. If someone knows better I’d appreciate it.

I have two 16” LMT’s. Am I better off chopping one of those to 14” and dealing with the extra 12oz and infinite rail space?

Thanks for the input guys

I can tell you it is not a legit challenger to the SCAR...that said...it is a nice platform.

If you already have a LMT...just SBR the lower (or get a spare lower that can be SBR'd) and install a 12.5" barrel in it...

I can tell you it is not a legit challenger to the SCAR...that said...it is a nice platform.

If you already have a LMT...just SBR the lower (or get a spare lower that can be SBR'd) and install a 12.5" barrel in it...
Thanks for the feedback. Could you elaborate on why you don’t believe it to be a challenger to the scar?

Several reasons why a Galil isn't a SCAR contender in my eyes/experiences:

1) Top cover isn't solid, it moves and flexes...for a red dot it is fine but once you start stretching its legs...you will see your rounds fly at distance.
2) Long stroke piston, regardless if you get a KNS adjustable piston...you will get a ton of gas travelling back into the action/face...unless you run OSS. Especially if you are a lefty.
3) The barrel starts to lose its group holding capability more so than the SCAR.
4) Cheek weld gets tricky if you are using a brace...unless you are running a low mount and a red dot.
5) No bolt hold open

I reaaally love the Galil and would take one but no way would it replace my SCAR...nor LMTs...

But if you got the itch for a modern, high end AK...Galil Gen 1 is the way to go...Gen 2s are so blaaaah....

I wouldn't want to run a .308 in 11" barrel without a suppressor though either...so

If you've got 2 lmt pin and weld one and roll. That being said the galil is a nice rifle

Reactions: thehun
I have the 17 and an Ace, but it’s in x39. Both are great but I also don’t see them in the same role. The 17 is my 100-500 go to. The Ace is my 100 and under choice for x39. Both are great options but for different jobs.

Several reasons why a Galil isn't a SCAR contender in my eyes/experiences:

1) Top cover isn't solid, it moves and flexes...for a red dot it is fine but once you start stretching its legs...you will see your rounds fly at distance.
2) Long stroke piston, regardless if you get a KNS adjustable piston...you will get a ton of gas travelling back into the action/face...unless you run OSS. Especially if you are a lefty.
3) The barrel starts to lose its group holding capability more so than the SCAR.
4) Cheek weld gets tricky if you are using a brace...unless you are running a low mount and a red dot.
5) No bolt hold open

I reaaally love the Galil and would take one but no way would it replace my SCAR...nor LMTs...

But if you got the itch for a modern, high end AK...Galil Gen 1 is the way to go...Gen 2s are so blaaaah....

I wouldn't want to run a .308 in 11" barrel without a suppressor though either...so
Thanks for the feedback. I had a 17 many moons ago and it suffered from a wandering Zero.

The top cover has always made me a bit nervous but this rifle’s mission would be 0-300yds on fairly large targets.

300 and in would be a good contender. Slap on a PA 2X on it and call it good.

300 and in would be a good contender. Slap on a PA 2X on it and call it good.
Believe it or not it was between that optic and maybe the mk3 1.5-4 to keep things light.

What are your thoughts on the RSR and MI rails?

I have a Mk4 1.5-5 and it’s a solid performer…if you want one that’s a bit better than a Mark 3 let me know. I might part with it but it’s somewhat clone correct on a rig I am using it on.

To be honest I never looked into aftermarket handguards for the Galil. I like the OEM as is…

Reactions: hypno02