• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Galil charging handle product improvement

buffalowinter

Freer of the Oppressed
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 17, 2014
    Llano, TX
    The vertical Galil charging handle is one of those things that look good on the drawing board but suck in actual use. I assume the vertical/close to receiver charging handle is supposed to make it less likely to snag on things... except one of those things it succeeds in not snagging on are your fingers when you try to grab it. The Estonians have added a clamp on horizontal charging handle to fix this possibly career ending problem. There is also an aftermarket model made by FAB but seems to be unavailable.

estonia galil 2.jpg
    estonia galil.jpg

So, I fabricated my own from bar stock. Before, and after:

DSCN6850.JPG

DSCN6852.JPG

DSCN6853.JPG

It is very painful to charge the Galil if it has a rail and scope mounted without this mod. Incidentally, the same goes for the FN SCAR 16 and 17.

Attachments

• 1683487889569.jpeg
      1683487889569.jpeg
      3.3 KB · Views: 29
    • 1683487917180.jpeg
      1683487917180.jpeg
      17.3 KB · Views: 70
    • 1683488026215.jpeg
      1683488026215.jpeg
      4.1 KB · Views: 36
    Last edited:
    What is the problem with "roll and rack"? Or even charging the rifle with the right hand?

To me, the usual safety lever is the least ergonomic feature of an AK style rifle.

There was a time when I had to carry an Rk 62 with magazine inserted but chamber empty. I taught myself to push the safety off with the right hand thumb, while grabbing the charging handle with the fingers.

Is this why almost every Galil charging handle knob I have seen is caved in flat on the right side? (From the set screw/whatever that holds this device in place)?

I think your fabricated piece is a very good idea. Almost like the original AK charging handle, no? (lol) If you have a spare, can I buy one?

Last edited: