• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Galil zero question

jpop8807

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
  • Nov 16, 2022
    Pueblo, CO
    Hello gents,

Had a buddy that was sucking on money. He sold me his gen 2 galil ace in 7.62x39. The rifle one. I was curious as to what the best zero range is. Not using it for more than plinking but at different ranges. I know with an AR the popular ones are 50/200, army 25m 300m, marines 36y 300y. All having their strengths and weaknesses. I purchased an my first ak last year, just standard irons on it. After lots of research I found a polish military standard thing, that said for the slider to work properly ak's are supposed to be zeroed at 100m with irons and hit a I think 4/5 in moa circle with 5 rounds. I can't find anything for the galil would it roughly be the same using the same round? I just threw my old rx01 trijicon reflex with a 4.5 moa dot on it for now, and have troy low profile sights coming (for some reason the gen 2 rifle doesn't come with sights). The ranges I will use are your typical flat ranges and there's one that is similar to Henry's from 9 holes reviews steel starting at 150 and going out to 1000. Not expecting that kind of distance but at least the first 2-300.

Assuming you are shooting 123 grain FMJs or something similar, my preferred option over the Eastern Eruopean and Com block country manuals, is a 35 yard zero. From 0 out to 200 yards, you should be just inside of 3 or 4 inches high or low depending on your optic HOB. At 300 yards you will need to hold a foot high give or take a few inches. For reference you will be about 2 feet low at 350 and a touch over 3 feet at 400. If you have a chrono you can check and use Strelok or something similar. I would obviously check it on some steel targets, every rifle has its own little quirks. I am unsure what barrel length you have on yours but my 14.5 WASR and 8- or 9-inch (can't remember exact barrel length) gen I Galil are both pretty close to the same drops. I have tested it on a few occasions, and it lines up pretty good on both. I do have to give a bit more elevation on the Galil, but they are both sporting red dots so it's hard to tell.

I rarely shoot them past 300 on anything other bright painted steel, but wind will be a bigger problem than the drops with that cartridge.