• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk Gamer Plates?

lte82

Shooter
Minuteman
  • Mar 12, 2013
    Is anyone using these "gamer plates" in matches? I know they were banned at the Lonestar Showdown, so obviously something is going on with them, but do they really add that much more stability? I personally think they look weird, but I've never tried one so...

Like this.

I'm assuming OP is referring to things like the Grey Ops AMP. Personally, I have a hard time believing they are that much of an advantage over proper use of something like a Gamechanger, and too many obstacles will be difficult to impossible to use with it.

I'm assuming OP is referring to things like the Grey Ops AMP. Personally, I have a hard time believing they are that much of an advantage over proper use of something like a Gamechanger, and too many obstacles will be difficult to impossible to use with it.

I never paid any attention to them until they were banned from that match, then I started thinking if they were banned they must work really well?

We haven't started to see them out west in matches yet, not something I"m personally looking to get into.

Even if they work awesome, I'm not sure I want my gun to look like that. Maybe one step too far towards excess crap hanging off the gun? Not sure, they just seem kinda strange.

I never paid any attention to them until they were banned from that match, then I started thinking if they were banned they must work really well?

Considering the MD for the LoneStar match is a 2-time PRS series champ, I doubt his logic was as simple as "they work too well". That said, I am curious about why they were banned.

Considering the MD for the LoneStar match is a 2-time PRS series champ, I doubt his logic was as simple as "they work too well". That said, I am curious about why they were banned.

Well, it wasn't just gamer plates either. Tac tables, slings, and tripods were essentially banned as well. I personally liked shooting it with just a bag and bipod, and wish more matches were like that.

Yeah, the MD is very much a one bag simple rifle kind of shooter so I guess he just wanted his match to be that way.

I did get a laugh at the photos of the "shoot off a cooler" stage. That's some good tongue in cheek humor there.

I mean I could see why this would add extra stability.
    2713097A-53C2-4A6F-8576-2E07268201FE.jpeg

I think that’s why he’s releasing a smaller version too. Not sure that it will make much of a difference.

I was at this weekend’s match. Some/most stages didn’t allow them but some did and they were called out by name as “gamer plates not allowed”. So clearly not a ban on gamer plates, conscious decision when and when not to allow them, reasoning unknown to me.

I’d never see one of these in person before this weekend. I saw at least a dozen folks use them on one stage or another, it wasn’t common but they’re definitely in people’s backpacks. Some guys even seemed embarrassed to strap them on which was funny.

I even decided it would be tough to fuck up a prs barricade with it, so borrowed one to try. It clearly helps more than zero.... Cleaned the stage, still didn’t win the match ?

At least people don't use it for half the stage, trip over it/drag it around bouncing off everything in a 3" area around it, then abandon it for the last half of the stage because time is calling their name.

Reactions: earthquake
    I dont own one, but I dont see a problem with it. What's the difference in that or someone buying a stock with a 5" wide forend? It also reminds me of my padded ESC skid pad which I love and was a great addition to my MPA.

I dont own one, but I dont see a problem with it. What's the difference in that or someone buying a stock with a 5" wide forend? It also reminds me of my padded ESC skid pad which I love and was a great addition to my MPA.

I think at the heart of it is the origins of the game being practical rifles. I expect in the future we will see some sort of limited “practical rifle” class.

But hey, we have guys shooting 30+lb .308’s in a class that was designed for mil/le to use their work rifles. So, we’ve kinda left the original intent in the dust.

We haven't started to see them out west in matches yet, not something I"m personally looking to get into.

Even if they work awesome, I'm not sure I want my gun to look like that. Maybe one step too far towards excess crap hanging off the gun? Not sure, they just seem kinda strange.

Agreed. A bit to "gamery" and specialized for me, to defeat some of the more contrived stages.

No thanks.

I feel like this discussion is a never ending one. Almost everyone uses a GC bag or some variation thereof but when they were brand new on the scene, they were banned at a match or two because they were considered “gaming”. Now I believe most ppl would think that is ridiculous.

With all the stuff that’s out there, nothing is going to make you shoot perfectly. Case and point would be the fact that no one has ever cleaned a two day event. If all the various equipment worked like some ppl think it does, you’d have multiple ppl shooting perfect matches.

Tripods were used as rear support at the USASOC competition so that took the argument that tripods were gaming/cheating/etc and trashed it since real world operators were using them.

At the end of the day, use what you want and can hold at the start of a stage. There’s a happy medium between crap you can use and the amount of time it will kill just trying to setup all the stuff you thought would give you an advantage. It usually is a self-correcting issue. This plate will fall in line the same as every other accessory has.

until someone makes a product to game the wind, people still gunna miss regardless of whats strapped on the rifle

Matt just dropped 7 pts total at the Silent night match (5 on day 1 w/ 2 min stages, and 2 on day 2 w/ 90 sec same stages)

winds were like 6-10 mph night 1, and 10-18 night 2

i could have shot the whole match prone and still would have prolly dropped more than 7 because i missed a few wind calls

if you missed, you cant see any splash...calling the wind right from the start is huge....his wind calling for first round hits is about as close to "wind gaming" as ive ever seen lol idk how he does it so well, but its impressive af

until someone makes a product to game the wind, people still gunna miss regardless of whats strapped on the rifle

Matt just dropped 7 pts total at the Silent night match (5 on day 1 w/ 2 min stages, and 2 on day 2 w/ 90 sec same stages)

i could have shot the whole match prone and still would have prolly dropped more than 7 because i missed a few wind calls

if you missed, you cant see any splash...calling the wind right from the start is huge....his wind calling for first round hits is about as close to "wind gaming" as ive ever seen lol idk how he does it so well, but its impressive af

did you see the FB post on April Fools with the 4 wind meters mounted to each corner of the "gamer plate" on the rifle :LOL:

Reactions: Emmersom Biggens
    To me these types of devices are just a slippery slope. At some point you need to draw the line. First it's bags, then gamer plates, then saw horses with an ARCA plate screwed on... you see where this is going. I don't really care where the line is drawn so long as it's drawn early enough to not give someone an unfair advantage simply because they have more money. I'm as guilty as anyone when it comes to weighing a gun down to get as stable as possible so I'm not trying to be some beacon of fundamentals or marksmanship ethics or anything like that.

I think the gray ops really was meant to mount 2 optics on a tripod. I saw a video of someone (maybe Buck?) showing how stable it made the rifle on a bag and it seemed to take off from there.

Morgan is spot on though. While some of these devices might buy you a few points to move from 27th to 23rd, you're not going to beat the top dogs until you can learn to read the wind and not miss in the first place.

Reactions: ewoaf

Sounds like gaming.

Ban Matty B’s brain.

Yeah. silly to ban them when some bags now come with an Acra clamp mounted on top of the bag, and with internal stiffeners and fill making it just as stable. So there you're giving the people with that bag that functions the same, an advantage over the guys who showed up with the GreyOps plate, and wanted to use it with a separate bag and were told it wasn't allowed.

Last edited:
    Reactions: earthquake
    To me these types of devices are just a slippery slope. At some point you need to draw the line. First it's bags, then gamer plates, then saw horses with an ARCA plate screwed on... you see where this is going. I don't really care where the line is drawn so long as it's drawn early enough to not give someone an unfair advantage simply because they have more money.

In a hobby where nearly everyone is using a $2k+ rifle with $2k+ glass, hand loading, paying match fees, etc., I'm not sure that I buy the idea that a $150 "gamer plate" is some sort of unfair advantage only available to wealthy shooters. The same goes for positional bags, tripods (you can buy a perfectly good tripod suitable for shooting for $2-300 on Amazon), etc.

Is anyone using these "gamer plates" in matches? I know they were banned at the Lonestar Showdown, so obviously something is going on with them, but do they really add that much more stability? I personally think they look weird, but I've never tried one so...

It's a freaking game. The term "gamer plate" is stupid.

It's just a benchrest bag rider that's been adapted for use in PRS/NRL style competition. Guys used devices like the JP Rifles Bag Rider on their gas guns for a few years without anyone complaining about it, for the same reason, it makes the gun more stable on a bag than a round AR forend. This isn't drastically different.

I get a chuckle out of guys using "gamer" as a derogatory term for any sort of innovation they don't like or think is "impure."

Last edited:
    In a hobby where nearly everyone is using a $2k+ rifle with $2k+ glass, hand loading, paying match fees, etc., I'm not sure that I buy the idea that a $150 "gamer plate" is some sort of unfair advantage only available to wealthy shooters. The same goes for positional bags, tripods (you can buy a perfectly good tripod suitable for shooting for $2-300 on Amazon), etc.

Understood. However I think you missed my point. It wasn’t just about the money, although I do think this game is expensive enough and doesn’t need more. You pointed out how expensive it is already.

It’s more about if the line doesn’t get drawn somewhere you take the “sport” out of the game.

This isn’t a rare occurance. Why do you think metal or corked bats are not allowed in the MLB? Only 14 clubs in a golf bag? Etc. etc.

Again, I personally am pretty indifferent to the whole thing as I like new toys, am fortunate enough to have the financial means to do so, and will take every advantage I can get. But at some point the line does need to be drawn for the sake of sport. Otherwise in 2030 PRS will just be shooting with remote controlled guns or drones, which maybe that’s what some people want.

Also, just an FYI the term gamer plate wasn’t made up by the OP it’s what the match director of the lone star match called them in his match book as a blanket statement in forbidding them on certain stages.

We just put this out. It was really designed just as a way to attach a bag VIA arca. What we found is a little 4x6 plate actually adds a lot of stability. This is not much wider than the bottom of a rifle but wide enough to make a difference. If anyone has read my posts you know I can’t stand ridiculous props and I can tell you this is low profile and legit!
    456BF0E8-28F4-4BBB-A360-7BC1DC02A843.jpeg

We have a larger one at 5x7 that is a little big for my liking but it’s still miles smaller than the grey OPs.

What about homemade mods to add stability to rifles? Is that ok? Are y'all just against items which are mfg and sold for profit?
    At last weekend's match I saw a guy rig a cool lever device on the bottom of his chassis to torque against barricades. He wedged the barricade between it and his bipod and pulled back on the lever arm to basically clamp walls. It worked really well. Gamer, or solutionary? ? It was clearly hommade out of square tubing.

What about homemade mods to add stability to rifles? Is that ok? Are y'all just against items which are mfg and sold for profit?
    At last weekend's match I saw a guy rig a cool lever device on the bottom of his chassis to torque against barricades. He wedged the barricade between it and his bipod and pulled back on the lever arm to basically clamp walls. It worked really well. Gamer, or solutionary? ? It was clearly hommade out of square tubing.

Unless it was built during the time, I’d say it falls into same category.

Whether or not it shouldn’t be allowed is another topic for debate.

Reactions: Emmersom Biggens

Actually the reason I'm "against" the plate, or rather I should say the reason I'm not interested in it, is because of how it looks. It doesn't look like it belongs on a rifle, or at least how the average joe shooter imagines a rifle.

If I bring a new shooter to a match and all he sees are rifles with gamer plates that don't work like the rifles he's got in his gun safe, I think his gut reaction is gonna be to think the sport is kinda weird and not have as much interest in it. He couldn't picture one of his own rifles with a plate strapped on it.

I think the direction of one bag keep it simple makes the sport more relatable and will do a better job of continuing to bring in new shooters.

I'm actually ok with game changers and bag riders / gamer plates, they are still fast and easy to use and you still have to figure out how to approach and shoot the stage, and it let's you have to figure out the best way to shoot it based on your shooting style.

Where I have hang-ups is any stage where you are pre-staging lots of gear. That's the slippery slope. Can I start with a fully deployed tripod? What about a tac table? Yeti cooler? Why not pre-stage a handful of tac tables so you get one for each position on the barricades or shoot houses? Why not just throw a bunch of sheets of plywood on top of the tires and shoot it modified prone? I think my answer would be to eliminate any pre-staging of anything. If you can't deploy it on the timer, it just doesn't get used. That guys clamp idea, go for it if it works. If it was too slow to set up it would sort itself out pretty quickly.

They work well for certain things but those things are very limited. Worked great for PRS SkillZ stages. Felt like a total squid using one but it worked well.

It does NOT work well when you’re pulling your rifle out of our putting it into tight spaces. Saw more than a few guys catch it and time out or pull the aforementioned “mid-stage ditch.”

I have no feelings on it one way or another. It might give you a slight advantage over just a GC maybe 1 in every 10 stages. Otherwise they are just cumbersome and you look like an assclown with one hanging off your stick.

If I bring a new shooter to a match and all he sees are rifles with gamer plates that don't work like the rifles he's got in his gun safe, I think his gut reaction is gonna be to think the sport is kinda weird and not have as much interest in it. He couldn't picture one of his own rifles with a plate strapped on it.

I think this is the reason why more traditional shooting sports are dying right now. High power guys have weird coats and until recently shot iron sights. F class guys need a $1000 50lb front rest and a single shot rifle. Smallbore guys have $1500 custom fitted suits, flat sole boots, extremely specialized rifles and equipment that are useless outside of that one sport. PRS can still be shot with normal-ish gear at a high level, and doesn't require anything other than a bag, bipod, and rifle. It's a very simple sport at the heart and people from all walks can get into some aspect of it. Most guys I know get into it to become a better hunter or field shooter. The moment that the sport doesn't do that is when new shooters stop showing up.

So, play devil's advocate here, why not do away with bags all together? How about Bipods? The same argument about deploying a tripod, gamer plate, etc. Can be used against a CkyePod with it's million different adjustments. And for those who keep arguing cost factors, look how much a CkyePod costs compared to a Harris, or a Chinese knock off.

When I was a Kid, we never used Bipod, Bags, or Slings. Times are changing. Deal with the modern world, or die like a Dinosaur.

my general feeling is it cant be deployed "on the prop" prior to start time

set your tripod however you want it, but u cant measure it next to the prop...yes people can eyeball and estimate, but i do the same with my bipod...if im shooting a stage the targets are uphill, i extended my bipod all the way before i lay down...i shorten it if the targets are downhill...i dont get in position first to check it prior to the stage starting...ive seen people eyeball a tripod/tac table for a prop then get on the gun only to see they cant actually get on target

same with bipod for props, adjust however you want...but you cant set it on/next/hold it by the prop to measure off how it will fit...i do quite a bit of hooking/wedging with my atlas...sometimes it doesnt work out how i expected it or fit just right and then i have to audible and adjust on the clock...it eats time

While I understand the "need" for some to buy all the little gadgets and trinkets, I really wish more matches would simplify things. I got into the PRS style shooting to improve my skills and positional shooting. I don't really want to sink hundreds of additional dollars into each rifle to have any chance at winning. Everyone wants to win. I for one, don't have a custom built rifle with the newest German optic that costs more than a good used car. I'd like to see more matches go to bipod and bag, nothing more.

Quick example, at the battle of the states. One team took the time to set up tripods with the platforms on them behind a row of tank traps. the target was one target at a fixed distance so they were able to zero in on adjustments. They just moved from trap to trap and table to table, no need for anything but dropping the rifle in and fine tuning for POI. It was way faster and the team undoubtedly got more hits because of it. But come on, it was a tank trap at a hog target at like 450yds, are you that bad of a shot that you need a table to hit that target?

Reactions: DGD6MM
    While I understand the "need" for some to buy all the little gadgets and trinkets, I really wish more matches would simplify things. I got into the PRS style shooting to improve my skills and positional shooting. I don't really want to sink hundreds of additional dollars into each rifle to have any chance at winning. Everyone wants to win. I for one, don't have a custom built rifle with the newest German optic that costs more than a good used car. I'd like to see more matches go to bipod and bag, nothing more.

Quick example, at the battle of the states. One team took the time to set up tripods with the platforms on them behind a row of tank traps. the target was one target at a fixed distance so they were able to zero in on adjustments. They just moved from trap to trap and table to table, no need for anything but dropping the rifle in and fine tuning for POI. It was way faster and the team undoubtedly got more hits because of it. But come on, it was a tank trap at a hog target at like 450yds, are you that bad of a shot that you need a table to hit that target?

I'm with you on keeping it simple. But let's be honest, you (and I) have no real chance at winning a major PRS qualifier event when the top shooters show up, even if we tried to game it as hard as possible. Top 20, top 10, sure. But to win you need a TON of skill and consistency that only comes with lots of practice and raw talent.

Reactions: todd and FishDr
    True, but I still like to imagine that if I don't muck it up, and they do, and no one has any sneaky gaming tricks up their sleeve, that I may stand a chance. I shoot in Missouri against a lot of those guys every other weekend, and yes, they are that good. I may just bite the bulelt and play the game, otherwise, I'm just spending money to play.

I have one. Looked interesting and I needed something to mount optics to my tripod. I got the Elite plate then the next week they released the mini one....shit!
    So far I like it. It hasn't made me much better yet.... practice is key to everything. No amount of gear will magically make you shoot better. Only place I found it awkward is on a tank trap. But it detaches quickly.
    As for looks, I can see it seeming non-traditional, but these chassis guns are looking more and more like race guns every year. Have you seen Olympic air rifles?!!?
    I was against bags too, back in the day. LoL