• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gap-10 Build Time...AWB???

308Shooter1911

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 29, 2011
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
I called GA Precision today ready to place my order for a Gap-10. Their current build time is 8 months. I have to sleep on that one. I really want the rifle, but I'm afraid an assault weapons ban is in our future...What do I do?!?!

Re: Gap-10 Build Time...AWB???

If you fear a ban, and you can afford it, may as well do it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tylerw02</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you fear a ban, and you can afford it, may as well do it.

</div></div>

+1

See my response in your other "vs" thread re: the wait.

As for this supposed, looming AWB on the horizon...if it does happen, who knows what form it will take, what the specifics will be, etc. If you are honestly that paranoid about it, there is more than one way to skin a cat whether you buy a complete POF rifle and go for a conversion by GAP to a GAP-10 later on, buy a different rifle now that you can have down the road should a ban occur, suck it up and wait on the GAP hoping it will come through before this supposed ban, etc., etc. Only you can figure out what level of worry is acceptable under your particular neuroses.
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tylerw02</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you fear a ban, and you can afford it, may as well do it.

</div></div>

I fear the ban taking effect during my build time. That is my only hold back.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308Shooter1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tylerw02</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you fear a ban, and you can afford it, may as well do it.

</div></div>

</div></div>

You're just increasing that probability waiting to decide... just sayin...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Broker</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308Shooter1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tylerw02</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you fear a ban, and you can afford it, may as well do it.

</div></div>

</div></div>

You're just increasing that probability waiting to decide... just sayin...</div></div>

I think I will purchase the AR-10 I have been looking at and see what happens. I hope neither candidate if elected makes an ignorant move like that, but if they don't, I will make the purchase of the Gap first of the year. Thanks for the info fellas.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308Shooter1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Broker</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308Shooter1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tylerw02</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you fear a ban, and you can afford it, may as well do it.

</div></div>

</div></div>

You're just increasing that probability waiting to decide... just sayin...</div></div>

I think I will purchase the AR-10 I have been looking at and see what happens. I hope neither candidate if elected makes an ignorant move like that, but if they don't, I will make the purchase of the Gap first of the year. Thanks for the info fellas. </div></div>

What?

They aren't going to do it the day they take the oath, either way. Why wait on the GAP? I'm sure they will refund your money if it becomes illegal to transfer it to you.

But we do know one candidate said he will pursue an AWB, one says he will not.

FYI... Even if a bill passed was introduced it would likely take a month or two to get passed, and even so most bills don't become effective immediately.

Unless Republicans lose their ass in the Senate and House, it wouldn't come from a bill anyway. It would be an executive order, I'm afriad.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Broker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">FYI... Even if a bill passed was introduced it would likely take a month or two to get passed, and even so most bills don't become effective immediately.</div></div>

This is partially true. There are measure the POTUS can take to hinder our 2nd amendment rights, to which he would not need congress to weigh in. Like tylerw02 said if its an executive order, he doesnt need congress

Why is it the term "Executive Order" is getting thrown around here like it's some new fad? Don't you think if the President could simply wave an Executive Order around at will he would have done so for his Health Care plan? Better yet... Why would the President even mention "Introducing" a bill if he could simply make an Executive Order? People he can't just issue an Executive Order when ever and how ever he feels like...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Broker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why is it the term "Executive Order" is getting thrown around here like it's some new fad? Don't you think if the President could simply wave an Executive Order around at will he would have done so for his Health Care plan? Better yet... Why would the President even mention "Introducing" a bill if he could simply make an Executive Order? People he can't just issue an Executive Order when ever and how ever he feels like...</div></div>

There was an article in American Rifleman where the Mayor of of a major city laid out a step by step plan that the president could place into effect with out the assistance of congress. I am trying to find the article as we speak. That scared me more than anything...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Broker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why is it the term "Executive Order" is getting thrown around here like it's some new fad? Don't you think if the President could simply wave an Executive Order around at will he would have done so for his Health Care plan? Better yet... Why would the President even mention "Introducing" a bill if he could simply make an Executive Order? People he can't just issue an Executive Order when ever and how ever he feels like... </div></div>

Executive orders are temporary. Bush I banned importation of semi-autos at one point in 1991.

Do you really trust our government all that much to think they wouldn't do it?

Health care bill, case in point-----they "deemed" it passed in the House.

They already pick and choose what laws to enforce and which they don't.

OP,

If the worst happens and there is another ban coming, we'll get warning. I don't put it passed the gov't to try someting in the dead of night but that would cause near riots.

If a real plan of a ban is coming and it will effect your build call GAP immediately and have them ship your lower to your FFL.

Complete the sale and you should be in before any ban.

If it's a retro ban you'd be screwed either way.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Inogame</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OP,

If the worst happens and there is another ban coming, we'll get warning. I don't put it passed the gov't to try someting in the dead of night but that would cause near riots.

If a real plan of a ban is coming and it will effect your build call GAP immediately and have them ship your lower to your FFL.

Complete the sale and you should be in before any ban.

If it's a retro ban you'd be screwed either way.

</div></div>

What do you mean by retro ban??? As in coming to take it away from me??? Good luck with that...I'm a police officer and there is a general consensus among us that it would not be healthy for us to attempt removing assault weapons from the possession of citizens...

Buy a POF lower/upper receiver, BCG and as many mags as you can now then send it to GAP to build it. Reason being is those will be the items they will concentrate on trying to limit. At least if you buy the receiver set or just the lower there's not a whole lot they can do about that, at least if the ban is similar to the last.

Buy the BCG and mags now because if a ban is looming those will be the items that do nothing but increase in value the most. Oh, and ammo
smile.gif

While its possible it may happen, I honestly don't think it will. Especially not a retroactive ban.

Be careful about waiting to order. When I ordered it was 2-4 months and it is now looking to be double that. If you wait to order it might only be 8 months but it could be worse. I don't see the demand for GAP-10's going down even if there is a gun friendly government.

Didn't mean to freak anyone out, I also DON'T think a retro ban is likely. I merely mentioned it.

Not tryin to get you all tin-foiled up.

Though I totally understand the healthy bit of paranoia. I'm with you.

I just ordered my GAP 10 a couple weeks ago. Dustin had mentioned that the lead time was extended because of the election and parts. He said it could be sooner, but they quote the 8 month lead time in case parts are held up.

I have had my order for my GAP 10 in for 7 months now. Still waiting. I was quoted 2-4 also. Order it and expect to wait the way it has been going. I have not been as patient as I should be, but I am still waiting.

I ordered my GAP-10 last month and was also quoted 8 months. If you want it, order it, the wait aint getting any shorter.

As far as thw AWB goes, here is my opinions. 1 guns, especially assault weapons, have become too popular and mainstream. It could be close to political suicide to vote for an AWB because of how popular they are. 2 there are too many republicans, who are obviously pro gun, and now democrats who are also pro gun (not all democrats but enough) to get an AWB passed. 3 kinda ties in to the last point but, the NRA is too big and has too much support, membership, and money to allow an AWB to pass.

(Disclaimer: this is not professional political knowledge, this is what information I can infer from the little news I watch cause I spend too much time in here.)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: R6Hybridd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I ordered my GAP-10 last month and was also quoted 8 months. If you want it, order it, the wait aint getting any shorter.

As far as thw AWB goes, here is my opinions. 1 guns, especially assault weapons, have become too popular and mainstream. It could be close to political suicide to vote for an AWB because of how popular they are. 2 there are too many republicans, who are obviously pro gun, and now democrats who are also pro gun (not all democrats but enough) to get an AWB passed. 3 kinda ties in to the last point but, the NRA is too big and has too much support, membership, and money to allow an AWB to pass.

(Disclaimer: this is not professional political knowledge, this is what information I can infer from the little news I watch cause I spend too much time in here.)</div></div>

I agree that it would be political suicide. But, what does a second term president have to lose by going over the head of congress? I may be over paranoid, but I might not be. Still going to get the GAP eventually, but gonna go with what I can get my hands on right now...Armalite.

Why choose the Armalite over a POF, when you can send the POF to be converted to a GAP-10?
confused.gif

If you want a GAP-10 but don't want the extended wait that it takes to get it, then it would seem the POF route would be the best way to go, as others have already mentioned.

If it were me, I would just buy a lower receiver or an upper and lower receiver and then either you build whatever you want or have a gunsmith put it together for you. Before the Calif. ban I bought 10 Eagle Arms AR 15 receivers and two AR 10's, which is now owned by Armalite. Then I built them out at my convenience. The Gap AR10 platform is a POF upper and lower with their hand guard and I believe they are using Armalite parts, bolt, bolt carrier etc.

AR platforms are extremly easy to put together, even the inexperienced person can put one together in about three hours. They have a wide variety of really good drop in triggers. And if you want to buy a barrel from Krieger you can send them your bolt and they will chamber it and head space it for you. Or, you can buy an existing AR rifle already completed and do a barrel and trigger upgrade. The barrel and trigger is really what makes the rifle a good shooter. Although since I am a gun whore, I actually own a GAP, a number of JP's, a couple of LWRC's and a SR25 complete rifles and a number of other rifles I built my self on the Eagle Arms lower receivers.

So in closing, if you are worried about a ban on assault weapons and you can not buy the rifle you want, buy the receivers and put them together or have them put together at your leisure.

Good news is we just hired another full time GAP-10 Guy, Josh , He's actully been with us two years part time but this Monday he starts full time. This will help alot with Gap 10 turn arround!!

Im hoping by the first of the year to be back to 3 months or better.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: A10XRIFLE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good news is we just hired another full time GAP-10 Guy, Josh , He's actully been with us two years part time but this Monday he starts full time. This will help alot with Gap 10 turn arround!!

Im hoping by the first of the year to be back to 3 months or better.</div></div>

I hope so...I will be placing my order first of the year regardless...

There's no AWB coming. There's no political will. Even if the president, whoever that is going to be wants it there's no way he could get it through congress.

This hobby is getting bigger by the day and the bigger it is the less likely congress is to risk pissing off voters.

Stop trying rush George and the people at GAP If my Gap10 doesn't shoot 1 hole groups at a 1,000 yards when I get it it's because you are all being impatient. LMFAO!!!

</div></div>

+2

Man I am sooooo glad I ordered mine in March when the demand wasn't so high as to extend the time out to 8 months!
Had it by mid-May
And YES it's worth the wait bro

I live in a state with an AWB and I have a GAP-10. Just needs the muzzle break pinned and a no collapsible stock as the GAP-10 doesn't come with a bayonet lug. I have a Magpul PRS on there so that doesn't matter to me.

Order the rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: A10XRIFLE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good news is we just hired another full time GAP-10 Guy, Josh , He's actully been with us two years part time but this Monday he starts full time. This will help alot with Gap 10 turn arround!!

Im hoping by the first of the year to be back to 3 months or better.</div></div>

Josh built my 6 Creed and it is a Hammer!!!!!

How do I tell who did the 308, are they marked like the bolt guns?

Josh built mine and it is also a hammer. He also is very accountable for his work. He is a great asset and a good dude.

I also have a gap 10 260 forsale right now if it helps any one. You can message me for detail since this isn't a forsale thread

You might want to check with Hogan rifles. They made the recievers for the GAP and the POF rifles. Paul had some older Hunter .308 models on sale for a reasonable price. You could always purchase the stripped upper n lower then send off to GAP when you are ready.

Great news!! As I have a GAP 10 being built as we speak!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Matt D.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You might want to check with Hogan rifles. They made the recievers for the GAP and the POF rifles. Paul had some older Hunter .308 models on sale for a reasonable price. You could always purchase the stripped upper n lower then send off to GAP when you are ready. </div></div>

George has explained it several times. Its not the receivers that hold them up, it's the carriers and bolts. They just take time to be machined and is the one thing that slows the process down.

They should be resupplied soon.

My GAP-10 served my well in a local match over the weekend. I was easily hitting an 18"W x 26"H silhouette steel target at 1000 yards. The bolt guns were afraid....very afraid! :)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why choose the Armalite over a POF, when you can send the POF to be converted to a GAP-10?
confused.gif

If you want a GAP-10 but don't want the extended wait that it takes to get it, then it would seem the POF route would be the best way to go, as others have already mentioned. </div></div>

What makes you recommend the POF. I like the features of the POF, but accuracy wise is it more accurate than the Armalite? Please educate me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308Shooter1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why choose the Armalite over a POF, when you can send the POF to be converted to a GAP-10?
confused.gif

If you want a GAP-10 but don't want the extended wait that it takes to get it, then it would seem the POF route would be the best way to go, as others have already mentioned. </div></div>

What makes you recommend the POF. Accuracy wise is it more accurate than the Armalite? Please educate me. </div></div>

Accuracy between the AR-10T series and other "high-end" Armalites and my P-308 are on par with both being sub-MOA capable if the shooter does his/her part with the proper ammo, etc.

Not to speak for KillShot, but the recommendation for the POF is based on the upper/lower receivers and handguard system being more or less identical between the POF P-308 rifles and the GAP-10 except for the markings. By getting the POF, you can send your rifle (or the required parts anyway) to GAP at a later date and use the base components for a build-out into a GAP-10.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ORD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308Shooter1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why choose the Armalite over a POF, when you can send the POF to be converted to a GAP-10?
confused.gif

What makes you recommend the POF. Accuracy wise is it more accurate than the Armalite? Please educate me. </div></div>

Accuracy between the AR-10T series and other "high-end" Armalites and my P-308 are on par with both being sub-MOA capable if the shooter does his/her part with the proper ammo, etc.

Not to speak for KillShot, but the recommendation for the POF is based on the upper/lower receivers and handguard system being more or less identical between the POF P-308 rifles and the GAP-10 except for the markings. By getting the POF, you can send your rifle (or the required parts anyway) to GAP at a later date and use the base components for a build-out into a GAP-10.</div></div>

Exactly my point, ORD.

Welp...You guys have done it. You have successfully convinced me to purchase a POF. That and the price of the Armalite went up, and the whole magazine issue. I will still make the purchase of the Gap 10 eventually, but I can get a POF pretty quickly...Thanks

I am still leary of POF's customer service and have read some horror stories, but I believe their quality control issues have been resolved. We shall see...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PowerstrokeOBX</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Back when I was going to buy a POF FrankieIce here on the hide had the best prices around.</div></div>

Does he have a website?

There's also Hogan Rifles.....the ones who supply POF and GAP.